Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever happened to the good old SR 9? it seems to have been replaced by the security 9 And the American pistol, which I didn't like at all. I shot a relative's SR 40, and liked it very much. I suppose I could look long enough to find one, but what would be the difference between it and the Security 9, if any? Since the SR 9 is discontinued, parts will soon be difficult to come by. Maybe I'll just go with a CZ...they seem to last forever, and parts are easy to find, should the unthinkable happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can still get new SR series pistols on Gunbroker.
I have had a SR9c since 2014. I have well over 5000 rounds thru it with zero issues. There are still parts out there for all the SR series pistols. Buy with confidence.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whatever happened to the good old SR 9? it seems to have been replaced by the security 9 And the American pistol, which I didn't like at all. I shot a relative's SR 40, and liked it very much. I suppose I could look long enough to find one, but what would be the difference between it and the Security 9, if any? Since the SR 9 is discontinued, parts will soon be difficult to come by. Maybe I'll just go with a CZ...they seem to last forever, and parts are easy to find, should the unthinkable happen.
As what happens occasionally, Ruger came out with a really good platform, hence the SR series pistols. They were going to be Ruger's flagship pistols for a while, and then, someone in upper management decides, let's try and compete in the new Army trials, and we'll switch gears to the new pistol the Army wants. While in the mean time making a great pistol languish, and die.
I too like the SR series pistols. They were innovative, highly accurate, and sweet shooters. They were a really good striker fired pistol.
You can find them on gunbroker.com, or other such auction sites.
The Academy stores from.around here still sell the compact ones.
The Security 9 is a hammer fired weapon, and the American series, are striker fired, but they have the new removable fire control system, much like the new SIGS, and the Beretta APX pistols.
Ruger was late to the Army pistol trials, but as usual, they will fill law enforcement, and foreign military sidearm orders, and cost way less than the SIG.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The real answer here has to do with cost of manufacturing. It is tough to have too many lines in a single plant. You either need a set of machines for each line, or occasional retooling and re-calibration, which means you can only create "runs" of a specific model. Ruger loves giving options, so each line may have as many as a dozen models over time. The good ole SR9 was "replaced" by a combination of the American series and the more economical 9E. When Trump was elected, the fear of not being to buy a gun going forward died down, and many people had bought what they wanted in fear of Hilary. At that point, the pistol market "crashed", and we began seeing ALL models from all manufacturers with huge price drops. As Ruger has typically on the budget end with their semi-autos, they needed a line that would still fill that role at an even lower price point; hence the Security 9. With the 1911 line doing well, that wasn't going anywhere. Something had to give, and the SR series was the one to go.

Was that the right choice? Time will tell, but the SR series came out when prices were higher. When I bought my RAPC, I paid $400, while an SR9C at the time was $530 in the same store. As a manufacturer, it is easier to bring in a new line at a lower price point than it is to start selling an existing line at a lower price. Keep in mind too that the original design of the SR included a LCI and a mag disconnect (read more parts and machining)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got my SR40 back in 2011 for around 369.00 and now have upwards of 9000 rds through it....my favorite handgun!!
Just picked up an SR9 a few months ago for about the same price.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lot’s of SR pistols in my local gunshops. I own an SR40, and an SR9 compact. Great pistols for sure.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bought one the 1st year they came out - $430 at a gun show. Gifted it to my son 6 years ago.
Bought another new one last fall from CDNN for $300, then another In December from Sportsman’s Warehouse for $250. Amazing deals for new SR9 pistols. Bought a couple of 17 round magazine twin packs from Grabagun ($40 each pack).
25991124-4F44-4430-B331-B3212070034D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have both the SR9E and the Security 9. They are both great pistols, but the Security 9 is a bit smaller as its is about the size of the Glock 19. You can't go wrong with either, but now that Ruger has 17 round mags for the Sec 9 its harder to recommend the SR9, IMHO.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Security 9 is current production, while the SR9 is not. it is only a distributor special.... or so I have read.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing some further research on the SR 9; A group that publishes Gun Tests magazine graded it a B- iirc, mostly because the SR9C has a different and better(in their opinion) trigger, and it can't be adapted to the SR 9.
Since the SR9 C won't fit my paws, I figure if I can find a full-size gun, I may just buy it, despite the negative (sort of)review. Any advice about what to avoid, or reliability issues? Does removing the magazine disconnect do anything to improve the trigger pull?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Since the SR9 C won't fit my paws, I figure if I can find a full-size gun,
Just so you know, the SR9C does come with a 17rnd magazine with adaptor that makes it a full size. I don't like the 10 rnd short mads either even though I have a bunch of them.

Here is a pic of mine with the 17round mag.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's a plain shame there is no longer production of the SR9 or the 9e to be honest. The 9e was a huge surprise, to me at least.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,561 Posts
We have several SR9c family members that have big paw's and use the 17 round mag for full grip feel. My daughter and I practice with both 10 and 17 round mags with the SR9c because I use my 9E and she likes the SR9. Keeps the mind sharp to practice with both mags with the SR9c. Never know what you will have when a issue comes up. The 17 round mags can be used in our PCC9's and that is a plus for home defense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts