Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the 7 round and 8 round magazines the same length. and ideas on where to get bumper pads/floor plates for the 7 round magazines?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
As long as they aren't for an officers/compact 1911.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ruger Mag.jpg You should be able to get bumper pads from Check-Mate Industries. They make the mags for Ruger.
I don't have any eight round Ruger mags myself. It appears that the Ruger eight round has a extended plastic base already.

Bill

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
are the 7 round and 8 round magazines the same length. and ideas on where to get bumper pads/floor plates for the 7 round magazines?
Some of the 8-round magazines are just a little longer, so they come with the plastic gap-filling bumper. That is the case with the Ruger/Checkmate mags.

You can check sources like Brownell's and Midway for the standard rubber mag bumpers. Kimber magazines come with the bumper (which is attached with two small screw which thread into the floorplate).

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I don't know which Ruger ships with...

Bumpers come in two or more heights. The smaller ones always seem to work just fine for me. I don't see the need for the thick ones, I'm not trying to shove the mag 3/4in up into the well.

Some bumpers slide in on top of the base plates, or replace them.

Some bumpers have two small machine screws and the base plates have threaded holes to receive them.

Some mags do not have removable base plates or screws (are you listening Springfield?)

·
Registered
740 Posts
The SR1911 CMD and Govt accept the same mags. I prefer the Stainless 7 round flush fit mags and own 14 of them manufactured by Springfield Armory. The bases are drilled and tapped for bumpers just like the Ruger mags. Neither the SA or Ruger 7 rounders have a removable base plate. I'd try Midway or Brownells for bumper pads.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stay away from kimbers magazines. My kimber did not like them and my Ruger does not like them. They are now relegated to reloading my blackhawk. Ha ha about all they are good for.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ordered some from chip mccormick, worked great.
I don't know if your commander is steel or aluminum frame.

Just a FYI CM Power Mag+ was designed not to damage aluminum frame 1911s.
Standard Power Mag followers can tilt forward and damage a aluminum feed ramp.

The titanium insert on a Ruger LW should prevent that, but I'm not sure.

Bill

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Stay away from kimbers magazines. My kimber did not like them and my Ruger does not like them. They are now relegated to reloading my blackhawk. Ha ha about all they are good for.

I have several Kimber 1911 magazines, and they work fine in all of my modern 1911 pistols. The 1930s Colt is the only picky 1911 I own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts