Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am one of the few casualties of the SR22 takedown lever failure. It happened to me today at the range. After 600+ rounds in 2 months it failed. There was big chunk taken out of it and launched the aluminum slide 5 ft downrange and put a few good chips on one side. ERGH!!! Time to call Ruger Monday to send it in. As you know there was a video of someone who said it BLEW UP in his hand and luckily it didn't take his fingers. It didn't happen that way. I pressed the trigger and it didn't fire, it disengaged the takedown lever and launched the slide forward downrange. :(:mad:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Sorry that happened to you and glad you're ok. So far mine has been a gem... Just got back from putting about 500 rounds through it and had 2 FTE probably from the ammo choice. Let us know what happens after you get it back from Ruger.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Well I am one of the few casualties of the SR22 takedown lever failure. It happened to me today at the range. After 600+ rounds in 2 months it failed. There was big chunk taken out of it and launched the aluminum slide 5 ft downrange and put a few good chips on one side. ERGH!!! Time to call Ruger Monday to send it in. As you know there was a video of someone who said it BLEW UP in his hand and luckily it didn't take his fingers. It didn't happen that way. I pressed the trigger and it didn't fire, it disengaged the takedown lever and launched the slide forward downrange. :(:mad:
Do you have a serial number range and build date on your SR22?

Some people have posted that they believed the issue is related to units build in March 2012.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Ruger needs to make the takedown lever and guide rod out of steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My test date was May 25, 2012.

Mine broke the TDL at just over 900 rds. Ruger emailed a shipping label, gun back home in 7 days (TDL looked identical to the one that broke).

The Ruger CS I spoke with said he didn't know of any previous problems with that part - mine 'died' in June.

I sold it the same day it came back.

There's an outfit that's making a replacement TDL for the SR22. Here's a link to that message thread: -> Twin Tech Tactical

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My test date was Aug 16,2012. I fired 600+ rounds, 50 rounds of which were CCI Velocitors. Ruger manual says HV ammo is okay to fire. Someone else I remember says HV ammo should be avoided. I think I will take that advice when I get the gun back. I tried 50 rounds to see what the results were and I guess this is what happened.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I am thinking about the take down lever from twin tech tactical but I wonder if it is really better?? Has anyone tried it? It would also void your warranty.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called Ruger first thing this morning. The usual.....Sent me label to print out and ship...7-10 business day turnaround.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
The reported test dates in this thread pretty much blow away the March theory.

(Mine was manufactured in Dec 2011 and fired then. I have more than 1100 rounds thru it.)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I am thinking about the take down lever from twin tech tactical but I wonder if it is really better?? Has anyone tried it? It would also void your warranty.
They had a vidieo on their web site of the testing of their take down lever. They had a small hydrolic piston hitting it over 90,000 times with out it failing. They are selling them for $19.95. If they're that good Ruger should use them . They'd save money in the long run.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wrote to the Ruger CEO about this issue and stated the facts and how it can be a danger etc. I purchased the takedown lever from Twin Tech just now. When I get my pistol back from Ruger, I will keep an eye out on the stock take down lever and the first sign of wear I am replacing it with it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
To bad you had to do that Tiger Ruger. But I was thinking of ordering two from twin tech for my two SR22's because I feel that's the only fault on the SR22. And I think Ruger would be smart and look at what twin Teck has designed. And maybe use their's as an oem part. It would be cheaper it the long run the shipping guns back and forth plus the labor to fix the gun. In your case a new slide too. That's got to cost alot more then the twin tech take down lever. I'm just looking for a long 3/32" punch that twin tec says you need to remove the one pin on the SR22.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I agree with you totally gmsoapy! This is the second gun I had to send back to Ruger for issues. I don't knock them for their customer service.....but their R&D and QC need to step it up so that there are less issues. They have fixed my SR9 and it performs without an issue now and I am sure when my SR22 will be ok when I get it back but the takedown lever will still be questionable because they will just replace it with the same molded piece that they have used. So like I said once I see ANY sort of wear on that I am just going to replace it with the Twin Tech.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Is the Ruger TD lever plastic?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I know both are composite. I know the Twin Tech is machined as well. The chemicals both these companies use may have some differences.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ruger has sent my pistol back to me as of yesterday via UPS 2nd Day Air coming on Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts