Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, last weekend I bought my first pistol, the Ruger SR40c, for home defense and target shooting with friends. So far I love it!! I don't know a whole lot about how to tear the gun down, but I did successfully field strip it. I've put about 100 rounds thru it and at first the trigger would stick...I'd have to push it towards the front of the gun to get it to reset. It hasn't happened lately. I want a laser sight for it, which one should I get? I need a "kit" to clean it and lube it...is there anymore information online that tells me where/how to clean it? How often should I clean it? Like if I shoot 50 bullets at the range, should I clean it every 50 rounds or 100?? Thanks for your help/opinions!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I bought me a SR9C, and love it. I have found out that it is best to thoroughly clean your gun to remove the excess grease the factory puts in it during assembly. I use Hoppes 9, CLP breakfree-- which is a good cleaner and lube. Clean your gun thoroughly and use light lube-- to much will attract powder and dirt. Also clean the firing pin chamber. Go to the Ruger website, they have good videos about breaking down your gun, cleaning it, and reassembly. Just pick the videos for your gun. Hope this helps. I usually clean mine every trip to the range.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Be sure to clean between the trigger bar and the frame. A lot of "trigger fail to reset" issues would be resolved by regular cleaning in that area. It gets dirty real quick. I clean it after each range trip.

Some have reported that paper coffee filters soaked in CLP work well for that.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Regarding the laser sight, I have a Crimson Trace railmaster 201. It mounts on the rail in front of the trigger guard. Very easy to install and adjust. Turns on/off with a switch from either side. The only down side is that there are very few readily available off the shelf holsters on the market that are made for a gun with that laser. I carry mine in a Remora which allowed me to select small rail laser as an option. But I have been looking for a custom Outside waistband holster. The Railmaster msrp is $149 I bought mine from the Ruger store at $129 minus 20 bucks from the discount coupon that came with the gun. They do charge shipping. You might find one cheaper if you shop around online. The other option from Crimson Trace is the laser guard model the msrp is $219 it installs on the trigger guard and front rail and is supposed to come on when you grip the gun. I have seen more holsters on manufacturers sites that offer an option for the trigger guard laser.
For cleaning, You Tube is full of videos on cleaning. People all have their way of cleaning and what products to use. My advice watch a bunch and see what make sense to you.
Enjoy your gun and shoot safe.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Unless holstering is an issue I really recommend the Crimson Trace Rail Master.

The SR40c is a really fine pistol. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm a fan of the Crimson Trace 449 laser guard. Comes on as soon as you grip the gun. if you get one, you will need a special holster for it. I just bought an old faithful stage three kit that seems to be working well so far.

I clean my guns every time I shoot them. You can get a cheap Hoppie's pistol cleaning kit for $10 from most sporting goods stores. It is a starter kit and you should add at least a wire bore brush to the kit. They run a couple of dollars. You will find you add to the kit based off your cleaning needs.

There are uTube videos of how to clean your gun. Everybody does it just a little different, but they are all basically the same. I use light oil and I clean the the firing pin chamber energy time.

I have 500 rounds through my SR9c so far and it has been a blast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.