Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my Springfield Range Officer 1911 for a new Ruger Sr45 and some cash. I did this because I could stand those sights anymore on that RO and didn't want to spend the hundreds of dollars putting new sights on it.

I don't think I got a bad deal since I paid only $675 for that Range officer and got cash and this SR45 in return. I am just trying to some feedback on this SR45 since this is my first Ruger pistol ever, well Ruger firearm ever. I also did the trade cause I really liked the way the SR45 felt in hand.

So I am wanting all the Pro's and the Con's about this firearm. I got the all black SR45, I have heard a bit of owners having to return this firearm for repairs and had FTF, FTE, Stove pipes and not going into battery issues, almost forgot about the misfire issues also. I didn't have a single issue with my Springfield and hopefully not with this either. I am still wanting a 1911 style 45 auto but not with the sights that came on that RO. I am really thinking about a Ruger SR1911.

20151127_173909.jpg

20151127_173950.jpg

20151127_174152.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
My SR45 has been completely flawless with about 400 rounds of various ammo through it. No failures of any kind. You might wish to clean out the firing pin/striker channel, which can get gunked up from factory grease and lube & could cause light primer strikes. There are numerous threads here which address how to do it. It's really easy.
I've owned dozens of handguns and many of them have been .45 Autos. I'll put the SR45 up against any of them. It shoots beautifully, handles recoil amazingly well and always feeds everything.
Congrats on your new purchase!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Based on the mostly positive reviews and having fondled other SRs, I just ordered the all black SR45.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got out to the range today and put 50 rounds of Federal Champion 230 gr FMJ aluminum case ammo through it without any issues. I took a lot of the advice I have gotten about giving the pistol a complete cleaning before shooting and did it including the striker channel. I love the way this pistol feels when shooting and wouldn't mind getting some of the upgrades I have seen for it online like the stainless steel guide rod assembly with spring and the aluminum striker indicator also the the heavy firing pin spring. What are the thoughts about these upgrades for it.

I want to try some other ammo through it just to make sure, wanting to try Perfecta, Tulammo, and some others. What HP ammo does one recommend for this pistol also. Thanks for the replies and information.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Well my SR45 has been flawless with any brand of ammo I've fed it, over 1000 rounds & everyone in my family has shot it with no problems. I keep mine loaded with the Golden Sabre 230gr. for HD but it handled all the name brand HP that I tried (Hornaday, Fed, etc) I can't remember all of them. My only thought on the "upgrades" is why fix what ain't broke ? lol Good luck with whatever you decide & I hope you get as good of service from yours as I've got from mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just took my new SR45 to the range Friday,ran about 150 rds through it with no problems at all. It was very accurate,and comfortable to shoot. I have a P345 that I use as my carry gun, but after shooting the SR45 I'm thinking I'll be tucking it in my waistband and the 345 might just have to stay home.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree on the upgrades.

If it is for aesthetics and you want to spend the money go for it.

If for performance, you might consider this :

Smooth It Trigger Kits for Ruger SR9, SR9c, SR40, SR40c, SR45 :: SR9 and SR40 Performance Parts :: Ruger? Performance :: Galloway Precision

in kit 4 which includes the striker indicator you want, and really smooths out that trigger beautifully.. like firing another gun.

Edited: I just remembered, you guys said that it is a new model. Did Ruger fix those trigger issues with the mod2?

Doc

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mainly just want the parts to increase performance and possibly make the firearm more reliable than it might be already, I cannot say about reliability yet only got 50 rounds of Federal Aluminum case, I will run it as is if I have issues will contact Ruger. Then might do some upgrades. Thanks for the reviews I have that website bookmarked now.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Congrats. I first ran into an SR45 while visiting my dad in Texas. Loved shooting his so much I came home looking to buy one. At the time, I couldn't find them anywhere. While looking at the SR45, I came across the SR1911 and ended up buying that instead. Did a lot of research on 1911's in general. Couldn't be happier! This has become my favorite pistol by far. I've shot quite a few 1911's by different manufacturers over the years. This one stands up to any of them. Disclaimer: I have only shot production 1911's

·
Registered
783 Posts
My Sr is in 9mm,
I have only had it out twice so far, but zero problems so far. About 150 rounds, but flawless.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've owned a SR40c for a couple years now. Performs flawlessly, but I have weaned myself from 40S&W as a carry/hd gun because of the noise. I've wanted a SR45c, but Ruger hasn't seen fit to build one. I have a Witness all steel 45 that's a winner, a fullsize SR45 would be superfluous.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don't think we will ever see the SR45C. Seems like the series is waning with the new models coming out. Plus Ruger has the RAP compact in 45 and 9. Of course, I haven't heard a lot about that line expanding lately either.

I am curious if Ruger will follow up the 9mm officer with a 45 version.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on the new 45, I have had mine for five years and just replaced my guide rod to a ss guide rod and purchased some new mags. My SR45 is the most accurate handgun I have. You will love it, mine just doesn't really like federal ammo.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had one of the first ones made for about five years. It was so reliable and smooth to shoot, that it got boring. I sold it to make room for some other stuff, and wish I still had it. Good ergos, decent trigger, reliable and accurate. Im a big fan of the SR series in general.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOVE the SR Series. Had the SR45 first before the 9's and the .22. Deadly accurate with no adjustment from the box. Took my Insructor Course with this handgun. Love it! Much heavier in .45ACP though...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a P345. It was my 1st 45 acp. I have a SR9 and 40. Like them very much. I had the pleasure of zeroing in a new SR22 for my sons g/f. Nice little gun. I'll have to check out the SR45 after the madness ends.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Old thread, but my SR45 is older. Bought it the first year they came out. It's my nightstand gun:

That’s too funny! Exact same thing here. Currently loaded with guard dog rounds. Always been a decent shooter too. Can’t say you weren’t warned:unsure:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mrs Scuba has one. It was her first gun. The sr series is very under rated. Her's has one of the best triggers I have seen on a striker gun (my ppq45 is better). Only mod was to remove the mag safety otherwise bone stock and eats anything you feed it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts