Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Just my opine but I'd go with the Colt. The Ruger is certainly servicable but the 6720 is more to my liking. I don't care for the Ruger approach to the AR, it's overly nose heavy, does not lend itself to simple disassembly of the op rod nor the handguards, for me those are a no go.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
I have the SR556 and love it. Never a hiccup. There is always going to be the argument over piston or direct impingement though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I like my SR556. I've had a couple of DI ARs (one of them a very nice Colt). I prefer the Ruger. I have the FB version and it is indeed heavier at the front, but that isn't a problem for me.

The Ruger shoots great and stays cool, but for me, the biggest benefit over a DI gun occurs when you go to clean it after a day of shooting and discover that the chamber and BCG look like they haven't even been used. DI guns get filthy quick. The SR556 is just as easy to take down for maintenance as any other AR I've had.

Despite all that, the Colt is a great shooter too. If I was richer, I'd probably have a couple of each.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
With regards to DI or piston it's worth reminding folks that there's no free lunch....so to speak. A piston gun doesn't run cooler it just deposits the heat elsewhere and it doesn't run cleaner it again just deposits the carbon elsewhere. If you're a heavy user and shoot support hand forward {as you should} you'll quickly find the piston gun to be less than user friendly. If you're a bench/sand bag shooter that does not hold or carry his rifle himself but merely pulls the trigger while the bench holds your weapon than you'll never notice the downside to piston AR's.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just purchased a Colt LE 6920 M4 and the fit and finish, quality of parts, accuracy, and resale value aren't even close. My short lived journey into piston driven AR's was disappointing to say the least. Plus the fact that around here the SR 556 is $200 more than the Colt (???). I lost money selling my SR 556 but getting ahold of the pony gun has lessened the hurt. From my experience go with the Colt.
Just try this one test. Pick up both rifles and shake them, and just listen and feel. That will tell you.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I took the Colt home today. What a light rifle, it feels as light as my 10/22. I could carry this all day. It seems to have a great balance also. I'll see how it shoots tomorrow. I don't know why but I was expecting the trigger to be heavy like all my other Rugers. It has a slightly gritty short pull with a very clean break. I would guess 4.5 lbs. Something I could easily get used to.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
50 yard iron sights sight in target and weapon. Had more but photobucket is not cooperating.
After shooting and a thorough cleaning I used some synthetic Royal Purple multi-purpose/gun lube and the trigger grit feeling is now gone. :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
I took the Colt home today. What a light rifle, it feels as light as my 10/22

I think you made the right choice the Colt is a top notch weapon

·
Banned
89 Posts
all that money you think you saved is gonna cost you hundreds more when you ditch the m4 setup, unless you wanted a m4 setup.i have ruger sr556 and it shoots and feels much better than di set ups to me. if you do change to an ar set up, you will spend almost 1k to even match the rail and sight on sr556. then you can buy the items that make ar's even more fun to shoot. ruger's legendary service is out standing. i sent mine in to check some things, mainly to get a new tube for "carrier tilt problems that a ALL ar's have, and inquired about lighter quad and they put a lighter style troy quad on it.for free total time was 10 days without gun. lets see colt do that.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Therealmfngrinch, please excuse me but you kinda lost me there. Not exactly sure of all that you said.
I do plan to keep this AR light and simple. (my KISS gun) The only upgrade would be a Giessele SAA. I like the Matech BUIS iron sight it came with but there is a rail for optics if I decide down the road. I have plenty of bolt guns with scopes I can borrow.
I've never shot the SR556 so that might have swayed my decision but I have shot the M4.
I know Ruger has great customer service. Of the three new ones I bought two were sent back for repair of defects.
Colt has been making these for decades so I sure hope they got it right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts