Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time here, sorry for the mistakes I'm going to make. I have several questions, 1st what's the best trigger for the sr556, two stage or single stage, I'm thinking on using Timney single stage. 2nd. What's the best buffer , buffer weight and buffer spring to use to keep from damaging your buffer tube and upper. 3rd. Best all around optics for this gun. 4th. Can I use my lower and buy the new ruger sr 556 take down uppers, and use on my lower.

Thanks for your response and your patience , Randy66:);)

·
Registered
229 Posts
All good questions. I have a Geissele SSA trigger in one of my SR556 rifles. It was the best upgrade I did to that rifle and looking back I wish it had been the first. My other SR556 has the factory two stage which is a lot better than the factory single stage but no where near as clean feeling as the Geissele. No matter what trigger you add it will definitely be an improvement over the original. I have not changed the buffers or buffer springs yet but have been looking into the JP silent capture springs. As for optics you said "all around". I would look into either a 1-4x or 1-6x variable scope. Many manufacturers make several different models to suit most budgets. I myself prefer Vortex because even their lower cost optics have the same unlimited lifetime warranty as their top lines. Lastly, I don't believe they offer the Takedown uppers by themselves. You may get lucky and find someone selling one online but I doubt it. And if you do it will most likely go for near the price of the complete rifle. I also recall reading that the standard 556 uppers are no longer in production.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all your answers,5timpy. This is a good forum for people like me that need lots of help and advice.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As far as best anything, they don't exist. Best is relative to what your goals are and what you specifically feel better with.

My advice is to shoot the gun as is until you know what you need to change and why.

And no, you can't buy the take down upper separate. If that's your goal, trade the one you have in on a take down model or buy a second one. You will eventually anyway. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I highly recommend looking into Hiperfire Triggers over a Giselle or Timney.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
OP, as far as triggers go, a two stage trigger in a semi-auto is generally thought to be used for more precise, deliberate shot placement. I would advise you to try and see if you can find a rifle with each type installed that you could try (at a range) and see which you prefer. I've been told that in the military, quite a few of the squad designated marksmen use two stage, while most others in the squad use single stage.
What's the best all around optic? That is kind of like the question "What is the best all around vehicle?" A lot depends on what is its expected usage to be and also your personal preference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the Timney trigger 3lb, lov it!!!

I mounted a AR536 good for 100 yards - 600 yards, for 100 yards and under I use a Burris red dot mounted 45 degree to the right of the AR536.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
1st time here, sorry for the mistakes I'm going to make. I have several questions, 1st what's the best trigger for the sr556, two stage or single stage, I'm thinking on using Timney single stage. 2nd. What's the best buffer , buffer weight and buffer spring to use to keep from damaging your buffer tube and upper. 3rd. Best all around optics for this gun. 4th. Can I use my lower and buy the new ruger sr 556 take down uppers, and use on my lower.

Thanks for your response and your patience , Randy66:);)

1. There are videos on you tube that will show you how to make the trigger you have into what you want with just a little of your time.

I polished out my stock trigger and with use its just as good as some of my drop ins I've purchased.

2. You don't need to change out the buffer. You have a piston rifle. You can change the gas setting to lighten up the recoil.

3. Optics depend on what you want to do. My SR is for close quarters. I run a Vortex Strike Fire red dot and Magpul BUIS.

4. As far as uppers you would be better off just buying a second rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts