Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this video on the Ruger web-site: Tech Tip - SR9 Cleaning

Does anybody DO all that? I mean, do you clean/lube the striker and firing pin, disconnector, take down pin and striker bore?

I have watched MANY YouTube vids on the proper cleaning & lube of your 9mm, semi-auto, striker-fired pistol, and this is the only one that goes this far.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have never taken mine down that far, and it still works just fine after a few thousand rounds. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually do break mine down that much, it's pretty easy and it does get pretty dirty in there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never taken mine down that far, and it still works just fine after a few thousand rounds. :)
Good to hear, bocopp. Hickok45 has been using Ballistol and his simple method for over 20 years and has never had an issue!

I wonder why Ruger believes that those extra steps are necessary, especially for a routine cleaning.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think the idea is that they are showing you how to do that if you want to go that far, not that you necessarily would on a regular basis. I've had my SR9E for about a year and haven't broken it down past the field strip level for cleaning, but its nice to know there are instructions on how to do it if I ever feel the need.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I clean mine after every range session, about 150 rounds or so. It takes about 10 or 15 minutes.
Well, I think I'm going to stick with Hickok45's approach, for now. If my SR9 requires that much attention, on that regular a basis, then I may need to rethink my choice in a firearm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the idea is that they are showing you how to do that if you want to go that far, not that you necessarily would on a regular basis. I've had my SR9E for about a year and haven't broken it down past the field strip level for cleaning, but its nice to know there are instructions on how to do it if I ever feel the need.
Sarkus, the video is entitled "SR9 Cleaning", which to me, suggests that this is the method that Ruger recommends for routine cleaning. The guy in the video says nothing to the contrary, so what is a guy to think?

I looked in my Ruger Owner Manual, and while they do mention cleaning, they don't tell you how, or when.

Very frustrating for someone new to gun ownership... :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I think I'm going to stick with Hickok45's approach, for now. If my SR9 requires that much attention, on that regular a basis, then I may need to rethink my choice in a firearm.
It absolutely doesn't need that much care. I do it more as preventative maintenance and I break the gun down with my son to teach him how it's done.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I usually take out the striker every other shoot. It has never been dirty, but I'm kind of OCD about keeping all my guns really clean.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It absolutely doesn't need that much care. I do it more as preventative maintenance and I break the gun down with my son to teach him how it's done.
Yeah, I guess you're right, E=mlc. Maybe, since it's an "official" Ruger video, they have to err on the side of caution, for legal reasons. In any case, I do like Hickok45's approach of "less is best". If it works for him, it will,definitely work for me.

I like your idea of educating your son in proper gun care, too. It builds self-confidence in him - and trust in you!

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually take out the striker every other shoot. It has never been dirty, but I'm kind of OCD about keeping all my guns really clean.
Yeah, I have that tendency, too; but as I've gotten older, I've mellowed a bit. I guess I fall somewhere between OCD and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hickok45 makes a comment in his Glock cleaning video that, apart from the slide, "you can probably go 10,000 rounds without cleaning". I like it!

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Yeah, I have that tendency, too; but as I've gotten older, I've mellowed a bit. I guess I fall somewhere between OCD and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Hickok45 makes a comment in his Glock cleaning video that, apart from the slide, "you can probably go 10,000 rounds without cleaning". I like it!
Then you should switch to a Glock.

I guarantee you (based on my more than 6000 rounds thru my almost 6 year old SR9c) that you cannot let your striker channel or the rest of the firearm go that long between cleanings.

There are people who never brush their teeth or change the oil in their cars, either and that seems to work for them, too.

For a while.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then you should switch to a Glock.

I guarantee you (based on my more than 6000 rounds thru my almost 6 year old SR9c) that you cannot let your striker channel or the rest of the firearm go that long between cleanings.

There are people who never brush their teeth or change the oil in their cars, either and that seems to work for them, too.

For a while.
My point is: I think there's a happy medium in there, somewhere, between OCD Cleaning and Every 10,000 Rounds Cleaning. ;-)

...and I have matured a bit. I no longer ride the Glock Basher train.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No, I do not remove the striker every time I field strip & clean my 9c. I do a general cleaning every 150-200 rounds. I do a more thorough cleaning (including removing the striker and cleaning the channel) at approx 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Depending on the number of rounds fired and conditions (especially if outdoor and it rains a bit) I may do a detail strip rather than a field strip.

Of course it depends on the firearm as well - some are fairly easy to remove the firing pin with a small amount of pressure applied in the right place to release the back plate on the slide - others require a pin punch and a hammer to remove roll pins - those I tend to do far less often.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would only take mine down that far to clean like every 3-4 outings depending on how many rounds I fired through it. But I did everything else the video shows after every trip to the range. And really, it only adds a few mins to the cleaning to take out and clean the striker and channel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
None of my guns are old enough and have been shot enough to feel I need to take them down that far. Lol. I've had my LC9S a year with 2000 or so rounds through it. I do want to take it down like that and give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I finally broke my 9E down that far a few weeks ago at around 1700 rounds. It was pretty dirty in there. I think I'm gonna do it about every 500 or so. To be honest.... It had no problems so it probably could have gone much longer.

To add... I field strip and clean it after every range visit

1 - 20 of 28 Posts