Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a CRIMSON TRACE LG449 compact Laser Guard Grip for my Ruger SR9c. I've never installed or used a laser sighting system. Any advise or concerns? Easy install? How hard is it to sight in? Do's and don't?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's easy to install, and easy to sight in using the iron sights as a reference. Mine was only about 6 inches off at 50 feet, and it is easy to correct with the tools provided.

I did/do have one "concern" after I finally got it to the range - it loosened after about 4-5 rounds, and the battery moved enough inside to lose the connection and it stopped working. I squeezed it, which corrected the battery contact, and continued for 30 or so rounds with no further problems. When I checked the tightness afterward, I was surprised just how loose two of the three screws were! I retightened, but haven't been back to the range to see if now it is tight enough to stay tight.

The laser really lets you see how steady or unsteady your aim is, and how proper is the pulling of the trigger!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've got one on my SR9c also. I'll second everything that RThomas said above. I've had the same thing happen after 50 or 60 rounds. Be careful about overtightening those screws though.

It's so intuitive that you have to concentrate to NOT turn it on. Keep in mind that you're really in an either/or mode with your sights. The laser and sights just don't work well together but I'm sure you'll find that out soon enough.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Would a dab of light loc-tite solve the problem? I was wondering about the use of sights with the laser. I was guessing the laser made it more of a point and shoot then using both the laser and sights. I guess I'll find out at the range.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the input. Would a dab of light loc-tite solve the problem? I was wondering about the use of sights with the laser. I was guessing the laser made it more of a point and shoot then using both the laser and sights. I guess I'll find out at the range.
I wondered about loc-tite also. I emailed Crimson Trace today and asked for suggestions - no response yet.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine came yesterday. Easy install. Had to adjust as it was way low and to the left of the iron sights. I have to get to the ranger to see how it shoots.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to range today and put 300 rounds through it today. Gun was great, but the laser did no funtion correctly. It seemed to come on at first, but then go off while targeting. I brought it home and cleaned the gun and tested the laser. Of course everything seems to be working. Any ideas?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Think I figured it out. Battery was dying and needed replacement. Since it was new and barely used this seemed like an issue. After investigating, it turns out that the new laser goes on in my mattress holster at night. It does not start out that way, but as it settles the button becomes depressed. I changed batteries and night holsters to a laser guard model (vs. a universal holster) and all seems ok now. Ordered another laser guard holster as a spare.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my Old Faithful Stage 3 holster and put it together. They make a molded Kydex holster for the SR9c with the Crimson Tide laser. I won't lie, the shear size had me scared. Once I put it together and put it on, I was supprised buy how well it blended the whole package to my body. The gun butt is in tight and I was able to tilt the Kydex to roughly 40 degrees on the holster. The gun ride a little higher then my old holster did. Of course now for the break in period...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The laserguard is only for the SR40c and SR9c.

My main complaints with the Laserguard were: 1) you have to take it off of the pistol to change the battery; 2) there is no "off" switch; 3) it seemed to need re-zeroing after a few hundred rounds.

I actually prefer the CT Rail Master over the Laserguard for my SR40c. It can be switched off, holds zero real well, and you can change the battery without dismounting the laser.

Be very careful when installing a Laser Guard that you insert the mounting screws on the correct side (left to right.) You will screw it up if you do not follow the directions.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran another 200 rounds through the set up. I was able to dial the laser in to the point were I could point and shoot if I wanted to. Still getting used to the different trigger pull on the SR9c. When I switched back and forth with my 1911, it took me a clip or so to dial myself in with each gun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this point I've got about 800 rounds through it and it has become a point and shoot gun. Trigger control is the key. The ability to perform rapit fire is far more easy then I had thought. There is a little balance point in the trigger that when used with the laser make it quite easy to put 18 rounds in a tight group in a short peiroid of time. The laser just makes it that much more fun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Over 1000 rounds at this point. Added all of the Gallaway upgrades to the SR9c, including a Ghost maker trigger bar reset. Fine tuned the laser in at 30 feet. The gun has really become a point and shoot weapon. Where ever the laser is pointed when the trigger is pulled gets hit! The laser really helps out with poor eye sight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would like to say "HELLO" as I am new to these forums. I am looking for a Crimson Trace laser for my Ruger SR9c. I have heard the green dot is better than the red one but I can't seem to find the green dot. Any suggestions or opinions on red vs green?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I can only speak to the red laser. I have read that the green is easier to see in the daylight, but I have not had any issues seeing the red laser at the outdoor range. Crimson Trace only makes the laser guard in red for the SR9c, but you could get a green laser that is rail mountable. For me, I like the hold the grip and the laser is on of the CT laser guard vs. the reach for the switch of the rail mounted laser.

Side note is at 1400 rounds I have shot the SR9c from every angle with out looking at the sights, just using the laser. Tight groupings are easy to do with the laser. Most of the reasearch I have done on gunfights and self protection show that aiming in a panic or after being knocked down is near impossible. With the laser it is see the red light and pull the trigger. I practice this every time I go to the range. I shoot from the hip, left handed, gun upside down while pulling the trigger with my pinky, arm extended out to my side with my wrist bent at a 90 degree angle, just about any way you could think of. The SR9c's recoil (or lack of it) is perfect for this type of panic shooting.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm at 1,600 rounds as of today and still loving this setup. Because I like it so much, I bought a new SR45 today and wish I could get the CT laser guard for it. I'll be checking with CT to see if the SR9 or SR40 model will fit the SR45. If not I may go with a rail mounted laser till the laser guard becomes available. I'm looking forward to sharing a range report next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's easy to install, and easy to sight in using the iron sights as a reference. Mine was only about 6 inches off at 50 feet, and it is easy to correct with the tools provided.

I did/do have one "concern" after I finally got it to the range - it loosened after about 4-5 rounds, and the battery moved enough inside to lose the connection and it stopped working. I squeezed it, which corrected the battery contact, and continued for 30 or so rounds with no further problems. When I checked the tightness afterward, I was surprised just how loose two of the three screws were! I retightened, but haven't been back to the range to see if now it is tight enough to stay tight.

The laser really lets you see how steady or unsteady your aim is, and how proper is the pulling of the trigger!
Have you try using loc-tite blue thread lock? Make sure you use the blue and not the red. It will help with the screws coming loose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts