Ruger Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I am seeing a bunch of first timers in here complaining about the SR9c and honestly, it seems almost Trollish to me.

I have an older SR9c with over 5k rounds through it. It shoots everything and is problem free. All I every really did to it (other than install the Galloway Stainless Guide rod and the polished silver striker indicator) was to take some Mothers Mag and a bit of elbow grease and polished up the feed ramp.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I am seeing a bunch of first timers in here complaining about the SR9c and honestly, it seems almost Trollish to me.

I have an older SR9c with over 5k rounds through it. It shoots everything and is problem free. All I every really did to it (other than install the Galloway Stainless Guide rod and the polished silver striker indicator) was to take some Mothers Mag and a bit of elbow grease and polished up the feed ramp.
There are a few bad ones that get away from the factory, but no where as many as some want us to think.

I just was at the range this morning. My almost 6 year old SR9C has half a box short of 6300 rounds thru it.

Only issues were two light strikes on factory second ammo that fired after I cleaned a dirty striker channel.

I polished my feed ramp, too. It didn't need it but it sure looks purdy.

I've seen a couple of SR9 series pistols where the owner was having problems due to poor maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Striker reset problems

Not trying to be "trollish." Bought a Ruger, like Ruger, want my new Ruger to work!
Looks like the trigger bar is not consistently catching protrusion on striker, so striker is not pushed back to "half-cock" and trigger is not reset. Either not enough "bend" in end of trigger bar, or trigger bar spring not strong enough. Lean toward former. Trigger bar is not a very "robust" piece.
In other ways, she's justifying my research and choice.
I'm no gunsmith, and pistol is brand new, so she's going back for adjustment. So far, customer service reps are living up to reputation on phone.

I have also sent description of problem as a constructive feedback to Ruger.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A friend and I both got an SR9c about 3 years. We both have run a couple thousand rounds through our guns with zero issues. You would have a hard time getting me to part with mine and I am sure he feels the same.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Not trying to be "trollish." Bought a Ruger, like Ruger, want my new Ruger to work!
Looks like the trigger bar is not consistently catching protrusion on striker, so striker is not pushed back to "half-cock" and trigger is not reset. Either not enough "bend" in end of trigger bar, or trigger bar spring not strong enough. Lean toward former. Trigger bar is not a very "robust" piece.
In other ways, she's justifying my research and choice.
I'm no gunsmith, and pistol is brand new, so she's going back for adjustment. So far, customer service reps are living up to reputation on phone.

I have also sent description of problem as a constructive feedback to Ruger.
That was not to be meant as a blanket statement. I just see a bunch of new posters come in with complaints and then are never heard from again after only a couple of posts. Their posts tend to be somewhat vague and more just complaining than anything.

By all means ask questions though :)

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I've had my SR9c for about a year and about 500 rds through it. Not a single problem. My favorite range gun by far, followed very closely by my SR45. Both have been flawless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
SR9C Repairs - Hope?

I realize that many of us spend more energy/words on our bad news than good news. My brand-new SR9C is back at factory for striker/trigger reset failure. The CS rep knew exactly what I described on the phone, so it's hardly unknown.
Some threads on this forum are depressing, and would have me never trusting the pistol again. Probably shouldn't read so much.
Can I hear some encouragement from anyone with a happy repair story on the striker reset problem? Please?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lots of people report that their striker channel is packed with grease. I can't figure out why Ruger would do that, and I can't figure out why my new in the box sr9c (about 5 years old, 1600 rounds trouble free) had no grease in the channel (I'm pretty sure there are others with my experience).

Also, for pdad329, I think If you read lots of posts, you'll see that Ruger takes care of people very well. Any company that mass produces goods will have some that require customer service, that's what customer service is for. I've had a few issues over the years with Ruger guns, and they have taken very good care of me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, tinkerer. They have been nothing but courteous, responsive, and helpful as far as phone & getting pistol shipped back to them. (Via shop of purchase, here in the People's Republic).
Hoping the techies are as good as the CS folks.
My SR9C (1 month ago) came with some factory grease; striker bore wasn't too bad. Still believe in a thorough cleaning, for familiarization with the piece. Old Army habit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe I have been lucky. My SR9c has over 5000 rounds through it and the only problem I have had was cured by cleaning the striker and striker channel. Good luck it is a great firearm IMO.

Ruger should make you happy.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Maybe I have been lucky. My SR9c has over 5000 rounds through it and the only problem I have had was cured by cleaning the striker and striker channel. Good luck it is a great firearm IMO.

Ruger should make you happy.
That is my situation, too. Now over 6300 round thru mine.

I make it a point to clean the striker channel every 1000 rounds or so. I did end up going about 2200 rounds between cleaning the channel once with no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back from CS... New Problem!

:confused:CS at Ruger was good at turnaround. Exactly two weeks from when I dropped it off at LGS for shipping to AZ (living in the People's Communwealth).
(This was sent back for failure to reset striker and trigger after less than 300 rounds through new pistol.)
Replaced trigger bar lift spring, ejector, trigger assembly, fire control housing, and trigger bar reset. Not sure what was left below the slide. :)
Repaired safety lever (?) and barrel (?). Didn't know they were broken...
Tested with 75 rds Black Hills 115 gr FMJ; no malfunction.
Courtesy cleaning... maybe before firing the 75 rounds; barrel needed cleaning.

Re-read the manual, cleaned (a couple of metal flakes in striker bore), lubed lightly. Reassembled very carefully.

Took her to the range today. 70 rounds Herters 115 gr FMJ (by S&B in Czech Rep.) 50 rounds American Eagle 115 gr FMJ.
Kudos to techies: absolutely no problem with trigger & striker resets.
NOW: About 1 in 10 failures to chamber the round. Happens on first round, when letting slide go forward freely. Happens on occasional subsequent rounds.

HELP!! Book says change ammo, clean carefully, then send back to Ruger if it persists.
What can I do before sending her back to fix a problem she didn't have when I sent her back to fix the first one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After viewing posts when I first joined up here, I came across a pictorial, on cleaning and polishing my SR9c. Great pictorial, btw, and very informative!! Gladly, this resolved the dreaded failure to reset, stove-piping, and light primer strikes, I was having. Kudo's!!

That, being said, however, (uh oh.....lol), The "issue" I'm having now (and some may not see this as such, and am wondering if I should, either. But, figure, I may as well put it out here), IS: It seems the warmer (hotter) the gun becomes, the more apt it is to double/triple fire. (pretty warm day, at an outdoor range) Lemme explain. Last time at the range, I fired a 17 round clip, NO PROBLEMS! Put the 10 round clip in, and it double fired after the 3rd er 4th round. Went back n reloaded both clips, and, it double/tripled fire pert near EVERY round in both clips. Is hard to distinguish betweenst the 2, as it reloads and fires so quickly! Not that I'm minding the multiple firing as much, as having some way to predict/control when it does it. AND? It goes through a box of ammo WAY to fast!!....lol (btw) No failure to reset, and light strikes. Fired EVERY round.

Is it my trigger mechanics? Meaning me, not the gun's. Like, too slow in letting go of the trigger, impeded by recoil?

Is there some kind of adjustment can be made?

Opinions, suggestions, comments?

Thanks!

(updated email prefs)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
After viewing posts when I first joined up here, I came across a pictorial, on cleaning and polishing my SR9c. Great pictorial, btw, and very informative!! Gladly, this resolved the dreaded failure to reset, stove-piping, and light primer strikes, I was having. Kudo's!!

That, being said, however, (uh oh.....lol), The "issue" I'm having now (and some may not see this as such, and am wondering if I should, either. But, figure, I may as well put it out here), IS: It seems the warmer (hotter) the gun becomes, the more apt it is to double/triple fire. (pretty warm day, at an outdoor range) Lemme explain. Last time at the range, I fired a 17 round clip, NO PROBLEMS! Put the 10 round clip in, and it double fired after the 3rd er 4th round. Went back n reloaded both clips, and, it double/tripled fire pert near EVERY round in both clips. Is hard to distinguish betweenst the 2, as it reloads and fires so quickly! Not that I'm minding the multiple firing as much, as having some way to predict/control when it does it. AND? It goes through a box of ammo WAY to fast!!....lol (btw) No failure to reset, and light strikes. Fired EVERY round.

Is it my trigger mechanics? Meaning me, not the gun's. Like, too slow in letting go of the trigger, impeded by recoil?

Thanks!

(updated email prefs)

Sounds like you messed something in the gun up. It is very dangerous to have a gun that doubles and triple fires. You can aim your first round, but if it fires three times as it recoils WHERE is that last round heading?
Contact Ruger CS and have the gun fixed.

It gets scary when people start 'polishing' trigger and sear parts and cause issues like this.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

Thanks!

(updated email prefs)
It would be wise to stop shooting the pistol and contact Ruger ASAP. They will send you a label and fix it for you.

Without having the proper paperwork, having a fiream that fires more than round per trigger pull become a big federal issue.

All it takes is someone at the range to make a phone call that someone is firing a fully automatic pistol and your headaches will start, even though it isn't your fault.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I concur with mndoggie, call Ruger CS and get that taken care of as quickly as possible. Besides being a safety issue, it could become a federal issue, which you don't want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:confused:CS at Ruger was good at turnaround. Exactly two weeks from when I dropped it off at LGS for shipping to AZ (living in the People's Communwealth).
(This was sent back for failure to reset striker and trigger after less than 300 rounds through new pistol.)
Replaced trigger bar lift spring, ejector, trigger assembly, fire control housing, and trigger bar reset. Not sure what was left below the slide. :)
Repaired safety lever (?) and barrel (?). Didn't know they were broken...
Tested with 75 rds Black Hills 115 gr FMJ; no malfunction.
Courtesy cleaning... maybe before firing the 75 rounds; barrel needed cleaning.

Re-read the manual, cleaned (a couple of metal flakes in striker bore), lubed lightly. Reassembled very carefully.

Took her to the range today. 70 rounds Herters 115 gr FMJ (by S&B in Czech Rep.) 50 rounds American Eagle 115 gr FMJ.
Kudos to techies: absolutely no problem with trigger & striker resets.
NOW: About 1 in 10 failures to chamber the round. Happens on first round, when letting slide go forward freely. Happens on occasional subsequent rounds.

HELP!! Book says change ammo, clean carefully, then send back to Ruger if it persists.
What can I do before sending her back to fix a problem she didn't have when I sent her back to fix the first one?
Well, I tend to read too much online. Had read/watched several posts showing just a drop of lube in each slide groove, etc. "Don't overlube!" seemed to be a theme. So... I got some spray CLP, and lubed everything that common sense told me might "rub." Kept most of it above the receiver, on the barrel and slide. Wiped it thoroughly; don't want it dripping.
Took her to the range... And she ate 100 rounds, two different brands of ammo, without a hiccup. Ruger CS fixed the initial problem promptly and well. A little CS (Common Sense) on my own part fixed the rest.
Loving my little Sarah Nancy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sent my SR9c back to Sturm Ruger because it was shooting left.
Like everything about the SR9c, size, grip, appearance, round capacity. The only part was, I did not the way it shot. That's important.

I bought it used and did not know what happened to it prior to my purchase. On return from Ruger the packing slip had a laundry list of what was replaced. I was astounded.

As of June 13, 2019, I picked it up from the FFL. Went to the range later on and it is not the same gun. It was right on, the slide release is more stiff, like brand new. Worked it in since.

Personally, I am so impressed with Sturm Ruger and all the good people who make it work. Customer service is outstanding.

I know Sturm Ruger will stand behind the product regardless of new or used.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts