Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of puchasing my first handgun. I will carry it periodically, but will mostly be bedside. The sr9c is best for concealment and my budget but when I search online for problems with sr9c there are a number of people that have had issues. I really like both the sig 320c and vp9 but are they to big or bulky to conceal?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I've had not one problem with my SR9c. Shoots like a dream, accurate, could shoot it all day if I had the ammo. What more could you ask for?
In fact, I should take delivery of my Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB holster soon. Can't wait to try it out. If it's as good as I expect, I'll order the Cloak Tuck IWB for it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Haven't had the chance to shoot any of them, but I held a VP9 the other day and it felt mighty fine. That trigger felt LIGHT though. I'm not sure what weight those are set at. I'm used to DA revolvers so any trigger might feel light, but not sure I would like carrying with that trigger. YMMV.

·
Registered
392 Posts
are you close to a range up there in Wi.? shoot their rental guns and get a feel for things.
you might find revolvers or 1911's more to your liking. good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My SR9C was great!! I truely regret selling it, but my 3rd generation Smith obsession got the better of me.
I would not hesitate getting another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a reason a light trigger is bad? I would think It would be better for accuracy.
If you search sr9c problems there are a number of people that had issues even youtube videos, jamming,trigger reset, peening.
On the other hand there are alot of people that love them and never had any issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Haven't had the chance to shoot any of them, but I held a VP9 the other day and it felt mighty fine. That trigger felt LIGHT though. I'm not sure what weight those are set at. I'm used to DA revolvers so any trigger might feel light, but not sure I would like carrying with that trigger. YMMV.
The HK VP9 trigger is about 5.5lbs.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Is there a reason a light trigger is bad? I would think It would be better for accuracy.
If you search sr9c problems there are a number of people that had issues even youtube videos, jamming,trigger reset, peening.
On the other hand there are alot of people that love them and never had any issues.
Look at the dates on those reported problems.

I'm approaching 6000 rounds fired without issue thru my SR9C that was purchased 5 and a half years ago.

Many of those "reported" issues may very well have due to user error or inexperience.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Look at the dates on those reported problems.

I'm approaching 6000 rounds fired without issue thru my SR9C that was purchased 5 and a half years ago.

Many of those "reported" issues may very well have due to user error or inexperience.
*1! We have seen that here more than once!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
govdodge said:
I really like both the sig 320c and vp9 but are they to big or bulky to conceal?
I think what you will find is that the SR9C is too short to get three fingers
on the gun. By the time you add the extended mag, it is right at the same
height as the Sig.

The length difference is all in the barrel. The Sig barrel is a half inch longer
AND the overall length is a half inch longer than the SR9C.

As to cost, the Sig P320C with white dot sights are available for just under
the MSRP for the SR9C

I suggest you go to a LGS, handle BOTH and then decide which YOU like
best. That is the one that will most closely meet your needs.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Light triggers are easier to shoot accurately, but many people like a bit heavier pulls on carry guns.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I think what you will find is that the SR9C is too short to get three fingers on the gun.
[You must have hands like as Sasquatch! That's what the "pinky" magazine extension is provided for. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a SR9c and use a 2XL glove size... I have no problem with the 10rd mags...if the short grip bothers you, use the 17rd ones..

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
My SR9c has been great & it is like 2 pistols with the 10 round mag.for CCW & the 17 round mag & a light option for home defense.

If you are looking in the Sig. family, the SP2022 in 9mm we have, has been great.
Street price around $400 & well worth it. It comes in .40S&W also, but I have no experience with that model.
This pistol is the hidden gem in Sigs lineup & a huge seller.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
My SR9c has been great & it is like 2 pistols with the 10 round mag.for CCW & the 17 round mag & a light option for home defense.

If you are looking in the Sig. family, the SP2022 in 9mm we have, has been great.
Street price around $400 & well worth it. It comes in .40S&W also, but I have no experience with that model.
This pistol is the hidden gem in Sigs lineup & a huge seller.
I can vouch for the Sig 2022. It is a gun that is far too overlooked. A great gun.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the SR9c and the SR40c and am completely happy with both. Considering price, availability,reliability,build quality and feel, the Ruger SR pistols can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm in the process of puchasing my first handgun. I will carry it periodically, but will mostly be bedside. The sr9c is best for concealment and my budget but when I search online for problems with sr9c there are a number of people that have had issues. I really like both the sig 320c and vp9 but are they to big or bulky to conceal?
80% of my every day carry is shared between the Ruger SR9c and Sig P320c. I can assure you, if I believed "problems" existed with the 9c, it would be dropped from my rotation. It has not and likely will not.

Regarding the Sig, perhaps you are overlooking it's modularity. While I feel that both the 9c and 320c are similar in dimensions and each carry similarly, if you feel the Sig compact is "to [sic] big or bulky to conceal", then why not consider the sub-compact conversion kit? Indeed, if your primary use of the Sig will be bedside, start with the full size. When and if you decide to carry it more often, get one of the conversion kits for a preferable carry size. Sig certainly does not give away their conversion kits, but they certainly do give you choices.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I cannot speak to the SR9c. I have shot two SIG P320s, one of which is my own .45 ACP, but they were both full-size. The other was a .40 S&W range rental. The medium full-size grip module of the P320 fits my hand perfectly. Both P320s are/were very accurate and comfortable to shoot with excellent recoil management. I have not shot a compact or a 9mm P320 but the overwhelming consensus among those who own them has been very favorable. The most consistent complaint I have heard about the P320 it that the slide release and take down levers are too prominent, especially the later. But SIG has come out with new, lower profile levers. The old levers do not get in my way at all. I bought my full-size P320 .45 ACP with night sights NIB for just under $500 total delivered.

I have also shot a HK VP9 which was a range rental. While it was a fine gun, the grip did not fit my hand as well as the P320 grip, although I was not at liberty to swap out backstraps or side panels. I also did not shoot the HK VP9 as well as either the .40 or .45 P320s even with the lighter caliber. The HK9 bit my trigger finger, which the P320s do not. I suppose I could get used to the Euro style paddle magazine release lever, but it would take some time.

I would tend to agree that the trigger pulls on both the HK VP9 and P320 are a bit short and light for some peoples' comfort in a carry pistol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts