Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a Ruger SR9c for concealed carry, I wanted to get some feed back from all you enthusiasts out there. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
392 Posts
if your going to a gun store that carries the Ruger line, look at the SR9C and the LC9s. just for grins look at an LCR to. is there a range where you can rent any of these guns?
good luck on your quest for a carry gun. have fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Accurate as hell.

Lightweight, negligible recoil.

Ruger fixed the trigger problems of the SR9.. so it is a crisp break, short reset.

Magazine disconnect safety is its only flaw, and that is easily fixed with an easy removal.

Doc

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've got over 5k rounds through mine. Very nice gun for range and carry. The low felt recoil makes it fun and easy to shoot. Since it's comfortable and accurate, you'll enjoy it at the range as you gain proficiency. There are videos out there for ways to buff and smooth the action, if you feel like doing that sort of thing. The gun shoots any ammo without problems. Holsters are easy to find, and in many styles. Can't think of any negatives at all.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have both the SR9c and the LC9s.

I've owned my SR9c for more than 5 years and have almost 5600 rounds thru it with no issues. It's been carried a lot in an IWB holster. Shoots great and is accurate. Many friends have purchased their own after shooting mine.

I bought an LC9s last February 2015 and am approaching 1800 rounds trouble free thru it. The trigger on the LC9s is even better than on the S9c. My LC9s now gets carried more than the SR9c cuz of teh smaller size.

Recoil on the LC9s is, of course, greater than on the SR9c, but it is so easy to hide.

When I can carry either of them, my six year old LCP fits in my pocket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sr9c

I have a SR9C and I have had no issues except for when I installed a ghost trigger.The trigger wouldn't reset.The company tried to tell me I messed up the installation or I had a defective gun,so we had a LGS install it on my bros SR9c,same thing.So don't try to lighten the trigger,and you'll have a reliable,accurate carry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry you had trouble installing the ghost trigger bulldog.

But, I have installed the ghost triggers on 1 SR9, 2 SR9C , and 1 SR40C 2 of them my own, 1 for my brother and 1 for my buddy.

On 3 they had to be trimmed to fit. Because, they did not reset, until modified. That is to be expected on one of the styles of ghost triggers.

It is a relatively easy work with smithing experience.

It improves the SR tremendously, the SR compacts not as much, but still a noticeable difference. In all 4, extremely reliable. Zero malfunctions and perfect short crisp breaks and resets.. with proper modification.

2 of the 4 are carry weapons including 1 for me, both are the SR9C.

Doc

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I recently traded into a stainless SR9c. Its a very good pistol. Its accurate, and recoil is very light. It is pretty stiff to rack, but that's why the recoil is soft. It has a strong set of recoil springs. I read everything I could before I got mine, literally hundreds of owner comments and everyone seems to like the pistol, and reliability is excellent. I think its a winner.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have one and like it a lot. I don't carry it as much as I thought I would.
I prefer IWB carry and it is a bit thick for me. I carry a Kahr Cm9 most of the time. Slimmer and lighter and it shoots very well.
I will admit that the Ruger is a better shooter, with less felt recoil. And being a bigger gun I shoot it better. Perhaps if I got a crossbreed type holster I would carry it more.
And I do carry it more in the winter with an OWB Desantis holster. It conceals well under a jacket. But for the rest of the year I am mostly in jeans and a T shirt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I intend to get my concealed carry this next spring but won't use my 9c for it. That being said, I really like my 9c and would get it again.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I bought a SR9c with the intent of using it for concealed carry. Although it is a fine weapon, I have not been pleased with it as a CCW due to it's weight and bulk. I should say that I live in Florida and my usual dress is shorts and T shirt for most of the year. I have been able to use it on colder days when I can use a jacket or sweat shirt to cover it. Overall, I like the smaller LC9s much better because of it's slim profile and lighter weight suits my situation best. I frequently pocket carry a Kahr P380 in a DeSantis holster and I don't feel under gunned with proper ammo. In my opinion, you will like the smallest and lightest gun in the caliber of your choice because you will carry it rather than something heavier and larger.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My SR9c now serves 75% of my carry duty. The LC9s sees it's carry duty during the warmer time of the year.

The LC9s carries better than the SR9c though. I like them both but 10+1 beats 7+1 any day of the week, which is also another reason the SR9c sees more carry time.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I carried my SR9c all day today, in a Kangaroo Carry. Its a band holster that goes around your middle, with the pistol under my left arm. I like the Kangaroo, because there is no weight at your waist. The SR9c doesn't even feel like its there, because I'm actually used to a snub revolver that weighs 5 ounces more in the Kangaroo. The right holster for your style makes all the difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Love mine. Carry in a Stealthgearusa AIWB holster with 2 spare 17 rd mags. The SG AIWB isn't quite as comfy as their superlative ONYX but it works and their VentCore tech makes hot weather carry soo much better!

Great trigger, accurate and soft shooting. It's my 2nd most carried CCW. just a great pistol...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have both the SR9c and the LC9s.

I've owned my SR9c for more than 5 years and have almost 5600 rounds thru it with no issues. It's been carried a lot in an IWB holster. Shoots great and is accurate. Many friends have purchased their own after shooting mine.

I bought an LC9s last February 2015 and am approaching 1800 rounds trouble free thru it. The trigger on the LC9s is even better than on the S9c. My LC9s now gets carried more than the SR9c cuz of teh smaller size.

Recoil on the LC9s is, of course, greater than on the SR9c, but it is so easy to hide.

When I can carry either of them, my six year old LCP fits in my pocket.
I agree with Mndoggie. I own all three of the Rugers mentioned and my LC9S has the best trigger of all three as well. If CC is your need I would probably go with the LC9S or the LCP. I too feel like the SR9C is a little to big for CC although many here on the forum carry the SR9C everyday. I either pocket carry my LCP or IWB carry my LC9S. My SR9C has become my night stand HD and car gun. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
SR9c is my first handgun

I am 56 and just joined th forum. I got my Sr9c and love it! I have had a Mossberg Tactical shotgun but really wanted this. Have my six hour concealed carry class tomorrow and took a handgun fundamentals class at gander academy which I love. Eventually I want to do the advanced class. Perfect gun for me plus a nice 10 round and 17 round magazine come as standard. I have the two tone. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was out to get a m&p compact...when I put the sr9c in my hand...it was awesom....mine shoots awesome and only issue I had was having to sight it in better....but nice you can do both windage and elevation.

My barrel gets scraped up a bit...but it works very well...I am about function not prettiness....each time I go out to get the compact I come home with something else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm with you weblance, my Kangaroo Carry is absolutely the most comfortable way to carry a pistol I've ever tried. Maybe not the quickest to draw but not that slow with a little practice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts