Ruger Forum banner

Ruger Standard circa 1950 FTF

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  grandadsruger 
#1 ·
My Ruger Standard, which I inherited from my father (and he from his father) is having serious issues. When I got the pistol it had been sitting for a long time and needed more TLC than I knew how to give it. so I sent it into Ruger for a complete overhaul and rebluing. Yes, I realize the rebluing ruins the collector value but I wanted to be able to shoot it and I live near an ocean and worry about rust.

Ruger returns it with work order stating they ran 3 magazines of CCI mini mag through it no problem. Unfortunately that was during a previous ammo shortage and I couldn't get mini mags. I tried pretty much every 22LR I could get ahold of, including recently CCI mini mags (both jacketed HP and LRN). And still can't get a single magazine (I have six, all not original) to run.

I recently replaced the recoil spring with one from Ruger, still no love. :(

So my questions:
1- since the gun was refurbished should I just return it with all the mags and say fix it? (it's been 8 years)
2- should I try new magazines? (I did try "adjusting" feed lips etc. Ruger-MK-Mags which didn't help and may have hurt)
3- something else?

Table Wood Rectangle Hardwood Tableware

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Wood Rectangle Font Gas Metal

See less See more
#15 ·
I agree with trying a new mag. They are usually factory set to about .200" gap at both - front and back of the rear feed lips. That's not far off. Lee Wirthwein's setting did not work at all in my pistols. I finally settled on this gap for most reliable operation in mine:

Note- I traded away all my mags 3:1 that I'd rounded off the feed lips on (another internet suggestion). They behaved poorly in my pistols as well.

#16 · (Edited)
Magazines are responsible for about 80% of all pistol function issues. Try some new magazines.

WAIT! What kind of ammo were you using? Some ammo these days IS far substandard!
T-bolt, M 22, Champion- to name a few, are liable to stop any pistol up!
Minimag Varmint cartridges don't run quite as well as the Target version either.
If the factory sent back "okay," then it's something you got going on. Ammo, or a bad flinch?

#21 ·
Is that the original medallion, or did Ruger replace it when you sent it to Ruger?
Good eye Gary.

After looking a bit closer at the OP's pics, I'd say his pistol is almost certainly a Type III Red Eagle. One of the more common varieties, but still collectable.

The serial number should be somewhere in the 3648-9101 range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.