Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received an old ruger standard from my dad. He has had it 30+ years and has only cleaned it once(because of the difficulty of getting it back together right) luckily for me, i have YouTube now, and have disassembled it a few times and can get it back together rather easily.

Since it hasn't been cleaned in forever, are there any extra duty cleaners I can use? I've used hoppe's #9 bore cleaner and a Bore snake about 10 times and can finally see rifling, and breakfree clp on the rest. Do I need to worry about lead me the barrel? If so, What's a easy and effective way to remove it? Any trouble areas to look out for and keep extra clean?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try using a bore brush to help free up any fouling. After the brush use patches with solvent and keep doing this and the bore should eventually cleanup ok. Any pitting from corrosion inside the bore will be permanent.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I also recommend a bronze bore brush along with Hoppe's #9 solvent. In fact, I'd take a bronze brush and scrub down all the parts with Hoppe's #9. While CLP does clean, it doesn't clean as well as good old Hoppe's in my humble opinion.

I one time severely leaded up my Mark III. It was so bad that my bullets were key-holing at 7 yards! The grooves were non-existent, filled with lead. I ran a patch with some Hoppe's through the bore and let it sit for a while. Then, using a new bronze brush slathered in Hoppe's, I scrubbed the bore for several minutes. It got the leading out, luckily. If it hadn't, I would have taken a few strands from a COPPER chore boy and wrapped them around the bronze brush and gotten any remaining lead out.

Once everything is clean, wiping the parts down with a soft cloth that has a few drops of oil or CLP on it is all that needs to be done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I recently picked up a solvent from a local gun store, the guy said its what they use. Don't remember the brand but he said it was basically brake cleaner. I'm gonna blast out the whole gun then scrub it out really good with the trusty toothbrush. I also got m pro 7 bore gel that I'm going to run through it, both before I shoot and while it's still hot.

I will pick up a set of brushes soon, I like the bore snake, but seems to be mainly for cleaning basically a clean gun, the brushes aren't very aggressive.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Worry about lead----yes if it builds up.

kroil swabbed in the barrel and a brass brush will get it after while.

A Lewis lead remover is probably best ----google it.

A brass brush and pieces of a copper chore boy pot scrubber works well and is cheap.
JUST MAKE SURE IT IS THE COPPER ONE. This method will clean crud rings in the chambers fast. Use your normal bore cleaner with this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts