Ruger Forum banner

Ruger Standard Magazines

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  IanC. 
#1 ·
So, as stated in my introduction, I am trying to find extra magazines for the Ruger Standard that I inherited from my Grandfather. I only have the one that came with the gun and would like to find 3 or 4 more because constantly reloading one magazine sucks. (And the chance I may use it in a 22 competition here and there.) The reviews for the new replacements on the Ruger website aren’t all that impressive and I wondered if the OEM mags were still the best option or if someone else makes a better aftermarket option?

Thoughts, opinions and good cookie recipes are appreciated!

#2 · (Edited)
Have you run the serial on Ruger's page to date your gun? That could be helpful to someone having a better answer. You type in the serial, which doesn't work on older guns, but will give you a drop down menu. Click on your model and you get a chart showing first serials of each year.
Serial Number Lookup (ruger.com)

I found this 4 year old thread that might have useful information.
.22 Standard magazine | Ruger Forum

And an 8 year old thread from a different Ruger forum, .com
Ruger Standard Magazines | RugerForum.com

The Ruger page for the gray base 9 round mag. Some of the comments are about the Standard. Some say good, some don't.
Mark I 9-Round Magazine (shopruger.com)

It seems to center around the follower button being on the correct side and how to move it if it's not. If your mag has slots on both sides, that's a big plus. One slot was early production and the gun frame is different.
I had a Standard years ago and a Mark III later. I do remember sometimes getting the button on the wrong side by mistake when cleaning the mags, but I'm not sure which pistol that was...o_O

#6 ·
The ones I was referring to were the mags on their website.

I’ve tried to look up the serial number but the gun is too old. Best I could work out is somewhere between 51 and 52. It has the black eagle emblem on it which didn’t go into production until 52 but what I found from the serial number, it should have been made in 51. I should contact Ruger directly but haven’t gotten around to it.

Either way, the reviews for the mag on Ruger’s website leave me a little off put which is why I was asking about other alternatives.

#4 ·
Said that already, with a link....:rolleyes:
Some differerence from an original Standard mag.

#8 · (Edited)
Not to be mean, but it makes me feel better about my Zastava mags. Since I got the pistols in April, only ones I've found was one listing on eBay, that had 8. I bought 5 for $400. Same seller had a lot of parts I grabbed. There is no alternative. TripleK has some on occasion, but they don't work well.

#13 · (Edited)
The original is not hard to find. On Ebay for $125.:ROFLMAO:
Unless you are trying to replace the original I wouldn't pay that price. YMMV
I have had no problem with the replacement magazines (polymer base).
This is not Rocket Science and has been discussed many times. MkII replacement mags also fit Standard/MKI pistols. If your Standard pistol was made prior to 1971 it will NOT have A100 stamped on the left side of the grip frame and you will have move the mag follower to the other side. See you tube.
Midway has them for $30. They have free shipping for over $49.99 about every other week. If you like I will let you know the next time I order something because they will have free shipping within a couple of days of me placing my order.:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Just watch eBay, Gun Broker, etc. They, and some other places, let you set up being emailed if they get listed. That's how I got my Zastava mags. You might find one next week, or next year. I got lucky, mine popped up about a month after I started looking. I've left the notifications good, for whatever else might show up.

Reactions: Deplorable2A
#14 · (Edited)
I have a 1956 Ruger Standard. It came with the original magazine and it works perfectly with it. I was having a lot of trouble finding original magazines for it so I got two new Ruger mark I magazines from a local shop. I did a search on tuning up the magazines, cleaned up and smoothed them out. They work alright but I still get the occasional hick up half way through a magazine so have a bit more tweaking to do. I seem to get either a round nose dive above the chamber of failure to feed from the magazine. I have read reports of the newer mags often sitting too high in regards to the chamber.

#15 ·
This is what bugs me. This is an OEM part that is made by the same company that built the gun in the first place. There should not be all of these questionable quality issues. Granted, when you have multiple magazines for any gun, you will likely have at least one “problem child” but the majority of them should run without issues. I shouldn’t have to tweak them to make mostly useable replacements.

I’m sure Ruger is aware of the issues from the reviews and what has been said here on the forum. Why aren’t they fixing them? I know they had to replace worn out tooling back in the ‘80s and specs can get slightly off from that but it’s about time they corrected it. Oh…. and put the thumb button on the correct side!

Done ranting now.

#16 · (Edited)
So didn't you cough up the $130.25 ( includes shipping ).

I'm surprised that it's not sold yet, at least not 5 minutes ago.

I personally can't stand people gouging parts. If a current version of my scarce original part sells for $33, I could not in good conscience sell mine for more that $65 without good reason.
Or people that buy a nice old gun, and part it out for double ( or triple ) what the gun cost.

I've caught several cases on GB of a gun with one mag. Then you look at magazines and the same seller has 1 or 2 mags for that gun. They should be sold together, but that's less $$ for the seller.
That's why 90% of GB pistols are sold with one mag.

#19 ·
They look original in original boxes. Why would you think they aren't made by Ruger?

So, hotpink 82, Rockstar, whoever, has two in separate listings. Normally people would list both together with a quantity window.

I agree with MitchSC, they were probably in Grandpa's desk drawer or found at a yard sale for five bucks from somebody who didn't know better. She doesn't list any other related item.

#21 · (Edited)
They look original in original boxes. Why would you think they aren't made by Ruger?
I was replying to NeedMoreRugers saying the new Mark 1 magazines for $30 are probably not made by Ruger.

Example: A while back I replaced my EDC LC9s with a Kimber Micro 9. The Micro 9 had a YouTube rep of having magazine feed problems. The YouTube fix was to replace the Micro 9 flush mag with a Sig 938 mag. My order specifications was for a flush 6 rd mag. The same night I ordered a 7 round Tac-Mag™ mag. When I picked up the pistol it came with a 7 rd extended mag. When I registered my pistol, Kimber as part of a promotion which started after a purchased gave me a 7 round Tac-Mag™ mag which is an upgrade. My Tac-Mag™ mag has
Gesture Font Art Electric blue Pattern

on one side and
Triangle Grey Font Pattern Grass
on the other.

I'm just saying I believe that most Fire Arm companies are not manufacturing their own mags.

#23 ·
50 yrs ago I worked for a landscape equipment mfg company. We made scrape blades, aerators etc.... that were used with a 30 hp tractor. We made equipment for a major tractor com and with the company I worked for's brand. All the same except for the same except for color of paint and logo. Sort of like "How does the parts store have parts for most autos in the store".

#24 ·
NeedMoreRugers
No I am not happy at all. I plan to wing off an email to Ruger and see what they say. Only problem is I am north of Detroit in Canada and we really don’t have the same type of service here. On a side note I had an issue with a MecGar mag in my Ruger Mark III. I sent an email and they had a replacement in the mail the next week no questions asked. Funny my MrkIII mags work perfectly without issue but not the new MrkI mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.