Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for those that own the Ruger Standard Models with the non adjustable sights. At 10 to 15 yards are they factory set for a 6 O'clock Hold and .22 High Vel. ammo? Despite being older than dirt I have owned only 1 Standard Model Mk I with a 6" barrel when I was a teenager. Some prior owner had filed the sight down I guess to make it shoot higher and that is the only one I ever shot. I afterward went to the target version's and never looked at a Standard again. I am thinking about looking at a Ruger MK II Standard in a 4" stainless so wondered about the sights. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Have owned enough of the Standards to say it really is hard to predict where they will shoot in terms of elevation, though I have heard that Ruger regulates their fixed sight models at 25 yards, but don't quote me on that. Have had some that were dead on at 15 yards and some that were way high or way low.

A Standard that shoots low is an easy fix by just filing down the front sight as needed. One that shoots high is a bit tougher, but you can file a bit off the rear sight.

Another option is to use the factory adjustable sight from Ruger, but it will require changing out to a taller front sight. (Volquartsen has one.)

LPA does make an adjustable sight for the Standard that works without needing to change out the front sight, the TPU22RG. I have used it, successfully, on the 6" version, but didn't go low enough on the 4.5" I had. Expensive sight, but it is an option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts