Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess I better not rush out and buy the T/C rifle.........Having one T/C rimfire 'orphan' (an early T/C Classic, it's a great gun but try purchasing spare magazines) I would rather not repeat the process.
Well, if you do buy the T/C at least magazines won't be a problem as they take 10/22 magazines.

BTW. are you sure the T/C is really problem free? I'm not sure there is enough data and experience to assure that.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
if Ruger loses could it be karmic considering what it did with the LCP and Kel-Tec's designs?

:)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
32 Posts
The guns are smilar but the 10-22 design is over 50 years old so I would think it is not am infringement. If they used a name similar to 10 22 that would be different.
Do you mean if they called it something like, oh...T/CR22..? Gee, I wonder what the R could possibly stand for? Remington perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
21,356 Posts
Reproduction

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
You can bet that Colt's lawyers are paying close attention...
SInce they purchased Brownings work I don't see it as the same thing. However it would be like Colt to go after a free lunch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought one of the first T/C .22 rifles. At the time, Ruger did not offer a threaded barrel on a standard rifle (only on the take down). Also, none of the Ruger models offered a rear peep and front fiber optic sights, (again only on the M1 carbine look alike at a much higher price.) T/C filled a void that Ruger was ignoring at the time. There are lots of firearms that "look" like other brands, ie; SAA revolvers, lever action rifles, 1911's etc. Ruger should pull up their big boy pants and stay on top of the market they created, but do not own.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought one of the first T/C .22 rifles. At the time, Ruger did not offer a threaded barrel on a standard rifle (only on the take down). Also, none of the Ruger models offered a rear peep and front fiber optic sights, (again only on the M1 carbine look alike at a much higher price.) T/C filled a void that Ruger was ignoring at the time. There are lots of firearms that "look" like other brands, ie; SAA revolvers, lever action rifles, 1911's etc. Ruger should pull up their big boy pants and stay on top of the market they created, but do not own.
I am presuming that you mean one of the T/C R rifles recently released and not the T/C Classic from years ago.
I haven't seen one in person much less fired one so .... what is your opinion? They seem to get really good magazine and You-Tube reviews but I believe that to be mostly bought and paid for advertising. A recent review showed exceptional accuracy from a 'Performance Center' model, I would probably have already ordered one had my LGS not closed it's doors. Are they really better than a 10/22 (which I have never needed to own) or just another variant?
Thank you.

Bruce

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am presuming that you mean one of the T/C R rifles recently released and not the T/C Classic from years ago.
I haven't seen one in person much less fired one so .... what is your opinion? They seem to get really good magazine and You-Tube reviews but I believe that to be mostly bought and paid for advertising. A recent review showed exceptional accuracy from a 'Performance Center' model, I would probably have already ordered one had my LGS not closed it's doors. Are they really better than a 10/22 (which I have never needed to own) or just another variant?
Thank you.

Bruce
Mine is the TCR .22 It has been as reliable as any 1022 I have owned. Accuracy is VERY good. I shoot this better than a 1022 mostly due to the much better sights. If I were to scope it, it probably would be about the same. (I do not care for scopes on .22 rifles. ) The only minor issue is the magazine, it is difficult to remove, the Ruger magazines drop right out. I do shoot this with a suppressor on it most of the time, using CCI SV 40 grain lead ammo.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ruger's base 10/22 design US patent has run out a LONG time ago.

I believe US patents are only good for a maximum of 20 years from the date of filing and cannot be extended past this amount.

Except for the takedown version patent, from what I know Ruger has no grounds on patent infringement on 10/22.

If a company does not innovate and improve, you get left behind.

I got no sympathy for ruger on this matter of design competition, they sat on their rear and didn't innovate more with the 10/22.

If they lose significant market share to a better made product by (X competitor), it's Ruger's fault.
That is totally true. My company sells Airflow control valves, when our patents ran out, we started getting very stiff competition from look-alike (but not as good quality) products. to some, if it's close enough, and costs 10% less, they'll take a chance on it, and that costs companies like mine a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Either way, Ruger is also making marketing hay out of this. Have you seen the adds touting it as the "original?"

·
Registered
101 Posts
When the Jacksonville Jaguars joined the NFL, they had a jumping jaguar logo. Jaguar sued saying it looked too much like their logo. Jaguar (car company) won and the NFL team made a different logo.
My mistake they didn't sue:
From Wikipedia:
"The day after the NFL awarded the expansion team to Jacksonville, a triumphant Wayne Weaver held up the Jaguars' proposed silver helmet and teal jersey at the NFL owners' meeting in Chicago. The team's colors were to be teal, gold, and silver with black accents. However, this jersey and helmet design, with a gold leaping jaguar, created controversy. Ford Motor Company, then-parent of the automaker Jaguar, believed that the Jaguars' logo bore too much resemblance to the automaker's logo. Though no lawsuit was brought to trial, lawyers from the team and the automaker negotiated an ultimately amicable agreement whereby Jaguar would be named the official car of the Jaguars, and the Jaguars would redesign their uniforms."

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would like a Thompson, I think I know the difference but I have seven 22 rifles counting three 10/22's. I am 22'd out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Who wins? The lawyers.
Who pays? We do, added to the price of every product.
Who cares? I don't.

S&W picked up a bad reputation for cutting corners for cost reduction.
I won't own a S&W because of this.

My Henry Frontier looks exactly like my Marlin 1894CB.
That didn't stop me from buying the Henry.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts