Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this ammunition, Hornady LeverRev#92782 44 Mag 225gr FTX, safe to use in my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver? I purchased this revolver in the mid 1980's at the Camp LeJeune PX. I am looking for ammunition that can function safely in my Super Blackhawk revolver and in my Marlin 1894 .44 magnum rifle. Any advice out there would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If its 44 magnum of course. The SBH can run any SAAMI approved 44 mag.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
And I do believe the FTX tip is safe for lever rifles as well.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,589 Posts
The FTX was developed for Lever Revolution ammo. It safe for tubular magazine rifles. Your SBH is safe with anything headstamped .44 magnum from the factory.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't shot that round in my .44 Ruger Super Blachawk soI don't know about it's recoil. However I did shoot a 340 grain, I think .45 Colt for Carbine load in old Vaquero. It was as potent or more so than a Casull round. It bruised my fore and second and third fingers and heel and web on right hand and heel and palm of my left hand. The load is safe in the gun but perhaps the hand will take a bashing. I didn't fire a second shot. I examined and miked all of the gun and no harm.
In my .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk 1977 made, I have a recipe for a 300 grain XTP bulelt with the three canelures. Loads of 2400 are stout and the bullet seated to second canelure.
Seated to the last canelure, or rear most, which will only chamber in the Super Redhawk, will take even more powder. With Pachymer rubber grips the recoil is vicous the round accurate. Follow up shots by someoen younger than me though. It leaves rubber in your hand. The grips keep it from bashing your fingers with the trigger guard but the heel of my hand bruised a bit. I am not as young and strong as I once was.
The round is designated, with this load as the 10.4 MM magnum, and only fits and rated for the Ruger Super BlackHawk and Super Red Hawk. I still have a box of these reloads but not up to climbing the stair to et them for the receipt on the box.
Velocity? perhaps 1600-1800 fps. I don't remember at the moment.
Magna porting, we don't hear much about these days but it seems a good idea with these guns for stout loads. If you shoot that load get the Pachymer grips. It is one piece and wraps around and closes off the space behind the trigger guard. Wear Globes, padded gloves.

·
One Star
9,577 Posts
Enjoy shooting your Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum revolver.

·
Registered
535 Posts
During my metallic sillouette shooting competition, production class, I hand loaded my Super Blackhawk 44 mag to the max+. The 200 yard ram targets didn't just tip over they flew off the stand. Recoil was very stout! The chicken targets flew at least 2 foot. I usually took first place, the worst was a 3rd place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts