Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

My first post to the forum as I just placed my order for my very first handgun (finally broke down) and went with a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter after seeing overwhelmingly positive reviews. This is also my first Ruger so I'm very excited.

One thing I haven't been able to find an answer to is what/where I can find a cowboy rig (belt and holster) for the Hunter version of the SBH. It seems like many of them say they fit the 7 1/2 " but don't specifiy the hunter and with the scope rail I want to make sure I don't purchase something that won't fit!

Any help that you far more knowledgeable folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,078 Posts
rjodorizzi, I really don't think it makes any difference ... as long as the holster is for the same barrel length. The "Hunter" doesn't have a rail ... just a raised rib. The front of the rib is no higher than the front sight and the rear is no higher than the frame so I can't see how it would interfere with holster fit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bet if you call around to some local gun shops they can refer you to a custom holster maker. For about the same price as a commercial holster that doesn't fit, or often much less, you can get exactly what you want. Of course, you need to know what you want first, but once you know that I think you will find there are bunches of retired cops that make great holsters in their garages for local gun shops.
Good luck,

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
El Paso saddlery and Galco make ones to fit your gun. Both great companies and great products.
Can't talk too highly of El Paso Saddlery.
Here's mine.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Triple K leather also has some nice rigs...I've had a couple of their leather holsters and they hold up great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to try the CirkleKB Hunter Crossdraw Holster. I have one for my 44mag Ruger Bisely Hunter and another for a Uberti Callahan in 44mag...Best hunting belt and holster rig I have ever seen. I just got the plain holsters with hammer thongs,don't need the fancy stuff...This is the web address at Circle KB All Western Cowboy if your interested...

·
Registered
92 Posts
A true Western rig is a lot of leather to haul around. I have found that a Galco SAO holster on good belt works as good. it has a strap for safety and a Chicago srew to adjust tension. I have one for both my 50TH Flattop in .357 and one for my 50TH Flattop in .44M. Two holsters, one belt with six round 'slides' for extra rounds. Not a Cowboy rig, but practical for me.
If you are going with a Cowboy rig, El Paso is hard to beat. I had made up my mind to get one like you want, but needed something more versitile and the Galco's SAO does that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts