Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
dt7350, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Better to handle full house recoil than standard GP100's, eight rounds instead of six or seven, smoother spring system for double action, and needless to say, Ruger Custom Shop. The Tommy Gun and the BAR were ugly in the eyes of many, but what they could do, was truly awesome...

Don't let looks fool yer mind. If it works better than most others, there's a reason it's worth havin'.

OldPaladin1949

·
Registered
916 Posts
I couldn't see paying that much money for a gun. If money wasn't the problem it would have to be stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Huh a little more than a new production Colt Python. As far as looks it’s no worse looking than my PCC9 carbine, I have the first release model; my buddy says it looks like a Crosman air rifle. That ugly rifle shoots very well as I expect this revolver would...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow is that a gun I want. 8 shot smooth double action. I will gedt that ovet he new python in a heart beat.
100% agree! I know that many don’t like the looks of the Super GP, but it is growing on me. The Super GPs street price is already lower than where the Python will be for awhile

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Get two Super GP100's- one for each hand... Think of it as a blend of Triggernometry and multi-tasking... Best of all possible shooting worlds...

·
Registered
185 Posts
From everything I've read, it sounds like it will be an excellent competition gun. My only complaint about the appearance is I hate the cuts in the barrel shroud. I don't understand the point of them. For quick shots it seems to me you want more, not less, weight at the barrel. Maybe someone can school me on this.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
My only complaint about the appearance is I hate the cuts in the barrel shroud. I don't understand the point of them. For quick shots it seems to me you want more, not less, weight at the barrel. Maybe someone can school me on this.
But...Tactical :p

That's it I guess, to appeal to that sort of buyer. I have a 1996-built GP100, and I like it a whole lot. The Colt New Python has far more appeal, as I don't have a DA revolver with a 6" barrel for range fun. Don't need it, either, so waiting another year to handle one is fine by me.

Ruger may just want to rev up sales from those who want to try a revolver, or sell those of us with them another gun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
An ugly gun that costs more than a Python at MSRP? I'll wait for Python prices to stabilize before I make my next purchase.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the shooter... To me, having had experience with the original Python, I'm not impressed with what improvements that might have been made. Sorry, but I don't believe Colt, or even S&W, can equal a properly setup Ruger...

Yeah, the Python is shiny and flashy- sorta like gun "bling," but when the chips are down, Ruger will still be up and running...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Correction to my post #7. If money were not the problem I would like a super GP100 with a stainless steel finish,not coated stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I was a bit interested in the barrel and shroud design as well. After talking to the fine folks at Ruger, I had the answer, as regards to maintaining those beauties...

Canned air. Or in my case, buying a small electric air compressor from Wal-Mart. That will blow the particulate matter out of the barrel-shroud gap. Or, if things get too gnarly, soak in oil, then blow it out. Frankly, the shrouded barrel makes sense, in weight saving, versus a very heavy, solid, bull barrel. Now, if you're shooting a LOT of ammo, FAST, the barrel shroud might save you from third degree burns... Yeah, right...

Frankly, I think these wheel guns pretty neat looking... Space Age... A small reason why I bought two!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts