Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is about how loud and how big the blast is with the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with a 2.50" inch barrel. I've never fired it or heard it fired in person in any of the calibers it's offered in, but I did read that it is LOUD! Very loud!

I don't know if it was on this forum or on another forum but the person said that he fired his 44 mag Alaskan at a gun range and the people next to him left and walked out.

Are all calibers it's offered in (44 mag, 480, 454) obnoxiously loud? Is it like a AR15 223/556 with a short barrel loud? I am concerned about hearing damage.

I'd like to get a revolver for a woods gun for brown bear. I would like a compact revolver but if the Ruger Alaskan 2.50" is too loud should I get a revolver with a longer barrel?

Maybe a Ruger Redhawk 44mag with a 4 inch barrel instead?

· Registered
204 Posts
As far as bear defense is concerned I wouldn't worry too much about how loud it is. I doubt you'll even notice it and the bear is probabably already as pissed off as he's going to get.
Myself, I chose the 4.2" barrel Redhawk, I think its more practical and versatile. I will say that at the range folks don't hang around too long if they are in the booth next to me so I reckon it must be fairly loud so whether it's a 2.5 or 4 incher, you'll do hearing damage with either one if unprotected.

· Registered
243 Posts
I own two 44 Magnums, an Alaskan and a S&W 629-6 Deluxe with a 3" bbl. I have never fired where the blast bothered me and I always wear plugs and muffs. I wear hearing aids, taken out, and the noise has not bothered me nor have I received any complaints. I have had people look to see what I am shooting. Mine is my woods firearm for my short hikes in the woods, plus I love the short bbl.

· Registered
204 Posts
I own two 44 Magnums, an Alaskan and a S&W 629-6 Deluxe with a 3" bbl. I have never fired where the blast bothered me and I always wear plugs and muffs. I wear hearing aids, taken out, and the noise has not bothered me nor have I received any complaints. I have had people look to see what I am shooting. Mine is my woods firearm for my short hikes in the woods, plus I love the short bbl.
Have a S&W 629 3" Talo. That's about as short as I wanna go. Between it and the Redhawk 4.2" I feel pretty well covered, love that little snubbie and I love the sheer hunk of mass of the Redhawk.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the 2.50" inch barrel on the Alaskan have any problems stabilizing heavier hard cast bullets like the 370gr and 410gr or the lighter longer monolithic brass and copper 330gr bullets? Any tumbling issues?

Another concern over the short barrel is the lack of velocity compared to longer barrels.

· Registered
168 Posts
I have not tried the 454 Alaskan but I can tell you the Alaskan 44 version is a lot louder than than my 629 with a 8 3/8" barrel with the same load. BUT if you are worried about something taking a bite out of you I would rather have some hearing damage than have something take a chuck out of me.

If I shoot a good bit of full power loads I double up on the ear protection since it will give you a headache, BUT it is a fun pistol to shoot.

· Registered
23 Posts
I've owned 3 .44 mags, a S&W 629 4", a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 5.5" and a S&W 4.2" model 69. I always wear double hearing protection when at the range and none bother me. However, I shot a deer with my Bisley and no hearing protection. Only 1 shot taken, but my ears rang for two days. Will never do that again. I now wear sound blocking electronic ear muffs while hunting with a handgun.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
I've owned 3 .44 mags, a S&W 629 4", a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 5.5" and a S&W 4.2" model 69. I always wear double hearing protection when at the range and none bother me. However, I shot a deer with my Bisley and no hearing protection. Only 1 shot taken, but my ears rang for two days. Will never do that again. I now wear sound blocking electronic ear muffs while hunting with a handgun.
My 6" GP100 was bad enough when I shot it while hog hunting. I figured that if .357 Magnum muffled my hearing for a few hours after a shot that there was no way I would shoot my Redhawk with naked ears. I got a set of Walker's electronic earplugs.

· Registered
806 Posts
Welcome from Southern Pennsylvania. When shooting at the range, yes, it is loud. Be courteous and let others nearby know about the muzzle blast so you don't take them unawares. However, when shooting in self-defense against 2 or 4 legged predators, no. The louder the better.

I have a 2.25" SP-101 in 357 mag., and the muzzle blast is somewhat impressive with full-house loads - especially at night. So you can get an idea of what a full-house 44 mag. will do.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With regards to electronic hearing devices (muffs or plugs) is there any security concerns wearing those in the woods, forests or mountains in bear and moose country? Do they pick up all sorts of sounds around you like foot steps and twigs snapping or do they block it? I don't want to be ambushed by a 4 legged or 2 legged predator and not hear it and be caught off guard. I want to be able to hear everything around me.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
With regards to electronic hearing devices (muffs or plugs) is there any security concerns wearing those in the woods, forests or mountains in bear and moose country? Do they pick up all sorts of sounds around you like foot steps and twigs snapping or do they block it? I don't want to be ambushed by a 4 legged or 2 legged predator and not hear it and be caught off guard. I want to be able to hear everything around me.
The Walker's devices actually amplify ambient noises. If there are chirping insects of any sort, it'll drive you nuts if you don't tone them down a bit because they work so well.

· Registered
2,365 Posts
The 480 ruger alaskan shouldn’t be too bad. My 480 SBH isn’t that loud. The higher velocity rounds will always be the loudest, as they break the sound barrier.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The Walker's devices actually amplify ambient noises. If there are chirping insects of any sort, it'll drive you nuts if you don't tone them down a bit because they work so well.
How do the Walker's compare to the 3M Peltor's in db reduction and batterly life?

Also, do the Walker's effect situational awareness?

"The biggest downside of the Razor XV is the lack of stereo microphones. Because it only has one microphone, it plays any sounds it picks up in both ears. This means that you can’t tell if a sound is to your left or right. If you’re trying to use electronic ear protection to preserve your situational awareness while shooting, you’ll want to choose a different device."

· Registered
2,699 Posts
How do the Walker's compare to the 3M Peltor's in db reduction and batterly life?

Also, do the Walker's effect situational awareness?

"The biggest downside of the Razor XV is the lack of stereo microphones. Because it only has one microphone, it plays any sounds it picks up in both ears. This means that you can’t tell if a sound is to your left or right. If you’re trying to use electronic ear protection to preserve your situational awareness while shooting, you’ll want to choose a different device."

The ones I have are the ear plug types that use hearing aid batteries. I usually have to put a new set in each time I go hunting. I don't know if the plugs are using that much juice over a few hours or if they are eating the batteries when they're turned off.

As far as situational awareness goes, each ear plug on feeding its own sound, so you can tell where everything is coming from, and they amplify sounds.

· "The Real Deal"
10,674 Posts
Well have several big boomers, the alaskan 454. blackhawk 30 carbine, desert eagle 50 ae, gp100 4.2" 357, 8" 29 smith in 44 mag. I can say that the short 454 will cause serious hearing damage if fired without hearing protection.
I recently took my boomers to the range, the srh, smith, gp, and blk 30. I used only plugs and I had ringing ears for a day or 2. I also had a problem hearing for a couple days. I immediately ordered a set of walkers muffs. Problem solved. It magnifies the sound in great detail but cuts out damaging levels. I can hear more than I would without them, never took them hunting, but would. They are a great product.

Be aware the 454 in the Alaskan as well as others that are magnums will have alot of muzzle flash too due to unburnt powder not being consumed n the barrel, resulting in a large muzzle flash.

But I wouldn't shoot them without hearing protection. Once the damage is done, its irreversible.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
5,332 Posts
Simple laws of physics that can’t be discounted. If you’ve heard a normal length 44 magnum fired then you know what a short barreled gun will sound like.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts