Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ruger buys Marlin, so that is good, to me anyway.

Ruger also made ARs for a short time, and ceased.making the SR.

Still making Mini's...

Anyone hear rumor Ruger is to redo Mini 14s???like with easier barrel change as on ARs???

·
Super Moderator
5,273 Posts
I doubt you will see any substantial changes to the mini platform, especially for some like if easy barrel change. Keep in mind the mechanics of headspacing. An AR bolt locks into the barrel, while the mini locks up in the reciever. That means that in order to change barrels, a set of go/no go headspace gauges are needed to thread the barrel to (yea, oversimplification) so I don’t see Ruger ever making an easy to user change barrel setup for the mini. It would require a level of changes I just don’t see happening.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re dicontinue of 556: Thanks...I likely read it and got it wrong...but made some sense.

As to Change to Minis...even if spendy, might be good idea....Am torn between Mini and 556s, as wife is not fan of AR configs....Mini's are seemingly more conventional...Maybe waiting is best choice.
'

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Re dicontinue of 556: Thanks...I likely read it and got it wrong...but made some sense.

As to Change to Minis...even if spendy, might be good idea....Am torn between Mini and 556s, as wife is not fan of AR configs....Mini's are seemingly more conventional...Maybe waiting is best choice.
'
Minis are fine guns and look more "civilized", especially if wood stocked. No need to wait, you can get a Mini 14 now in 5.56 or a Mini 30 (7.62X39 my favorite). They recently updated the Mini platform so don't expect Ruger to change much in the immediate future.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
292 Posts

'
You may have been thinking of the SR-556 (gas piston operated). That model was retired in 2018, IIRC.

The AR-556 (direct impingement) has been available since 2014.

For the reasons mentioned in posts above, I wouldn't hold my breath for any dramatic changes to the Mini. The Mini simply wasn't designed as a modular platform as the AR was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe Ruger could start by making the mini’s MOA shooters……….. :p
My 580 series mini-14 will shoot MOA the first 4 or 5 shots then it opens up. I use mine mainly for short range groundhog control and keep shots to 100 yards and I will take head shots on a cold barrel. Mine is also scoped.

The mini-14 is a lot if fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The Mini is what it has always been, a Garand style rifle in 556 or 762.39. That fill a market niche only Springfield is in and at a lower price point. So why change it? Nobody who buys one cares about sniper rifle MOA as what it does is within the parameters of what a military rifle is expected to do. About the only thing I think they might eventually do is make it AR mag compatible since Ruger has been moving in the direction of supporting popular mags in recent years.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
and why is that??....

you really think that Ruger can not be price competitive

I remember when Ruger Mini 14 was half the price of an AR....
Sure Ruger can compete. Ruger's AR 15 is very cost competitive with other ARs.

When I bought my Mini way back when, it was $450. The only bargain ARs were DPMS and about the same cost. Colts ruled the day back then and were expensive. There were maybe 4 AR makers in the day.

The Mini rifle has a lot more investment cast parts and absolutely no other competition. Unicorns just cost more than ponies.

The Mini sells very well at what they are asking in today's market. Comparing ARs and Minis is like apples and oranges. Everybody and their brother makes ARs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ruger is busy...bought Marlin and surely getting pinged for product; might do something different...FWIW

Thought I would ask....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have hit moa with my 581 Mini Tactical in Bass Pros 100yard tunnel. I know, I've been told that's impossible with midgrade Nikon scope.
I also have one of their MPR ARs and using one of their Elite lowers on another AR. I highly recommend either the Mini or AR.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts