Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent back my SP101 Wiley Clapp a week ago Tuesday for some repairs. The trigger guard was poorly fit and had a large gap between it and the frame. Also, the cylinder timing was a bit late as a result of the poor fit trigger guard.
When I called Ruger on Monday they were very friendly and helpful. They organised all the shipping arrangements and had UPS pick up the gun from my work on Tuesday. By Friday Ruger was already done with it and I received a confirmation number from FedEx.
FedEx had the gun longer than Ruger did and delivered it to me today.
Not too bad!!! 8 day turn around time.

As for the Wiley Clapp SP, it came packaged like a brand new gun oiled and wrapped in plastic. Upon unwrapping it, I discovered a beautifully repaired firearm. They trigger guard/frame gap is seemless and the DA pull timing has been corrected with a new pawl. I'm all smiles!!!
Thanks Ruger
A much better experience than the 4 month turn around I had with S&W.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Glad to hear your SP101 WC is now working out. I would luv to have this Model of the SP101 they got it right with the sights. A 3 inch version would be steller!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Crummy cell phone pic, but it's something

EDIT: After seeing pic, maybe wasn't worth posting. I'll be winning no prizes for photography.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Owly, did Ruger include a test target in the box when you received back your revolver?

I sent my SP101 back to Ruger last November. When it came back 9 days later, the box contained a test target that I can only dream of repeating.

Love the gun so much it is my EDC now!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No test target Straighwall, but they did send the Ruger branded silicone rag shown in the photo. Note inside said they had test fired it to confirm function. I'll do the same tomorrow.
I can say, I broke the gun down as I have multiple times before and disassembly/reassembly is so much easier now with a well fit trigger guard. It is obvious trigger guard replacement meant entire trigger assembly as there is no wear whatsoever on the trigger or transferbar. I had fired hundreds of rounds through his gun before returning it. SA pull seems heavier than before, but maybe I'm imagining it.
Overall, very pleasd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love the GP100's

Glad to hear Ruger stepped up with great customer service

·
Registered
629 Posts
I sent back my SP101 Wiley Clapp a week ago Tuesday for some repairs. The trigger guard was poorly fit and had a large gap between it and the frame. Also, the cylinder timing was a bit late as a result of the poor fit trigger guard.
When I called Ruger on Monday they were very friendly and helpful. They organised all the shipping arrangements and had UPS pick up the gun from my work on Tuesday. By Friday Ruger was already done with it and I received a confirmation number from FedEx.
FedEx had the gun longer than Ruger did and delivered it to me today.
Not too bad!!! 8 day turn around time.

As for the Wiley Clapp SP, it came packaged like a brand new gun oiled and wrapped in plastic. Upon unwrapping it, I discovered a beautifully repaired firearm. They trigger guard/frame gap is seemless and the DA pull timing has been corrected with a new pawl. I'm all smiles!!!
Thanks Ruger
A much better experience than the 4 month turn around I had with S&W.
Great to hear ruger customer service is still second to none.
Shame their quality control wasn't up to scratch to let your sp101 pass in the first place.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
That's good to hear. I was thinking about getting that same Wiley Clapp so at least now I know Ruger will fix any problems like that if mine is the same.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Glad to hear your SP101 WC is now working out. I would luv to have this Model of the SP101 they got it right with the sights. A 3 inch version would be steller!!
All the recent buzz about Kimber's new revolver includes mention of "better sights than an SP101". It looks to me like the Kimber sights are the same combat type as the WC SP101. Seems like a gun Ruger could have in their regular line, at least with those sights.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Unfortunately it seems Ruger is needing to treat too many folks right lately. Thankfully they do!
My experience with them has been to see them evolve from quality-by-rework to quality-by-replacement. To me, that means their gunsmithing capacity is overwhelmed. The problem with a replacement is that it has to be returned also. By now I take it for granted that any new Ruger will go back for some reason, usually cylinder issues. So far, I have still wound up with a good gun. There is one exception with a Lipsey's gun, so I will not be buying any more dealer exclusives with unique calibers/parts.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have dealt with the customer service department of Browning, Sig Sauer, S & W, Kimber, as well as Ruger. I have not contacted Glock or Colt (yet). Of the manufacturers I have contacted, although I never had really bad customer service from any of them, by far... Ruger is the best. Great folks at all locations.

·
Registered
110 Posts
a couple of years ago i sent in a new to me, used 3 screw bearcat for the free transfer bar upgrade. ruger called me soon after to inform that the bearcat was too far gone to upgrade and offered any single action revolver as a replacement. since the bearcat was out of production then i asked for, and got, a blackhawk 357/38/9mm convertible. ruger is tops in my book.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
a couple of years ago i sent in a new to me, used 3 screw bearcat for the free transfer bar upgrade. ruger called me soon after to inform that the bearcat was too far gone to upgrade and offered any single action revolver as a replacement. since the bearcat was out of production then i asked for, and got, a blackhawk 357/38/9mm convertible. ruger is tops in my book.

I read that as a "3-screw" being too old for them to support. The "too far gone" verdict seems unlikely except in terms of elapsed time since the guns were out of production.

They similarly allowed me to trade in a Service Six for which they had no parts. Of course, that pushed me to sink $500 to get my Match Champion. That would be about what they charge dealers, so they can be the hero without losing any money.

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
WoW! That's great service. I'm in the process of returning my SP101 for some major flaws with the machining of the frame. I requested a replacement unit. Talked to the Customer Service person this morning, they received my pistol late yesterday and she informed me that it will be a 4 - 6 week turnaround time. I was flabbergasted by the estimated time frame. When I asked if they could do any better than that she sounded very annoyed with me and said "We don't have these revolvers just laying around, we will have to make you one...someone from processes will be in touch with you."

I don't know if she is having a bad day, but she said it is out of her hands now. This is my experience with their customer service. I can only hope that the process is a little faster.

I own a Security Six SS in .357 with a 6" barrel that I purchased new in 1978 and the new SP101 doesn't hold a candle to it in fit and finish. What the hell happened to Ruger?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I own a Security Six SS in .357 with a 6" barrel that I purchased new in 1978 and the new SP101 doesn't hold a candle to it in fit and finish. What the hell happened to Ruger?
These guns are mass produced and Ruger is shipping them as quickly as they're being built. Can't really expect exemplar fit and finish you'd recieve from a high end or custom maker. Rugers never really were finely tuned or fitted even in the days of your SS. That was S&W and Colts claims to fame. Rugers were known for being rough around the edges but hell-for-stout.
Although sometimes crude, they are rugged and reliable, as their slogan claims.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts