Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this gun up at a recent auction and will probably be selling it in the near future and need to dial in what to list it for.

Couple variables:

SASS # shown in pics - I am assuming this is a membership number- Will this hurt the value for resale since it has been personalized?

Gary Reeder customized this gun as shown. I am assuming this will help the value of the gun.

The gun is in great condition.

Any thoughts on value?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
To be honest/blunt the engraving is average qaulity and this, along with the previous owner name and number on it, detract from the value fairly heavily. Not sure where the gun name came from either. I would say if you can get the value, or a little less, of a stock model you'd be doing well. Still a good shooter.

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
I agree with Brassmonkey. Unless SASS member 13939 is someone famous the engraving is only valuable to that SASS member or his family. Also, if someone took the time to have a gun engraved with their SASS number I suspect there's a matching one somewhere because SASS is a two pistol sport. It's possible the gun was made as an award or in recognition of something. In any case IMO it adds nothing to the value and actually detracts from it. It might have some value to a person that collects engraved guns but as Brassmonkey said there's nothing noteworthy about the quality and style of the engraving.

It does have a couple of visible enhancements done by Reeder. The front of the cylinder is beveled for quick reholstering and it has a Super Blackhawk style hammer. Both are common SASS gun upgrades. That also probably means the trigger has an action job and the forcing cone has been machined to 11 degrees. All good things that make it a better shooter than an average Vaquero and slightly add to the value. Unfortunately the cosmetic stuff does more damage to the value than the mechanical enhancements add.

One last thing. It has a 4 5/8" barrel. Most people that shoot a 45 Colt Vaquero slightly prefer a 5.5" barrel.

As a Vaquero collector the only reason I'd buy that gun would be as a back up to my main match guns in case one of them became inoperative during a match. It would also be a great beater/truck gun. I wouldn't pay more than about $350-400 for it.

YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts