Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my Ruger "New" Vaquero Birdshead in .45 ACP, it's my prized safe queen and I don't shoot it as much as I would like, so unfortunately shes got to go. I didn't cut a single corner when putting this gun together because I wanted a spectacular gun that looked as good as she shot.

First I called up Mernickle Holsters and orfered up a Black PS6SA holster that allows strongside OWB carry and has a relief in the front to assist in the draw since it sits nedium to high to help with concealment, it can also be worn crossdraw if so desired. It's a great holster but its still really new and retention is still really good. This Single Action was made to ride in this holster, the perfect combo.

I really wanted to set this Vaquero off like few I've seen so I began researching some of the best gripmakers for SA revolvers out there, eventually I came across Zane that owns Lone Star Custom Grips, an artist that hand makes each set, he is very passionate. Zane asks you to remove the lower frame and ship it to him and he hand carves each set to that specific frame for an exact fit, this is necessary since each frame that comes from Ruger is slightly different from the mold and finish/polishing process.

Zane and I probably sent two dozen emails back and forth even after he had the frames, the wood had to be perfect, so he found me exactly what I asked for, a bookmatched set of Buckeye Burl scales to be carved into custom grips...man are they beautiful. The fit and finish is second to none, and it helps the gun sit right in the sweet spot of your palm which is not only one of the best things about a Birdshead to begin with, but it also helps you pull the sights right up to your eye every time.

The .45 ACP is very accurate out of this gun, even out to 20 yards or better, yes even with fixed sights. Being stainless the recoil in this gun is easily kept under control but stull enough to be enjoyable, she rolls in your hand just enough to help you better reach the trigger. If youve never shot a single action boy are you in for a treat, the trigger breaks really nicely, some people lighten them more but I think it's perfect just like it is.

The fact that this gun opperates with a transfer bar means that you can safely carry it with all six chambers full and I always do. You really feel like a Cowboy when you open the loding gate and push out each shell and then replace it with an audible "plunk", then spin it to the bext to load the next one. One of the reasons I got this Vaquero in the .45 was so I could share ammo with my 1911, that is another reason it is going to be hard to give up.

I hope some of you are interested in buying, I'm asking a little over new price but your getting a low round count gun with a new holster and some one of a kind grips. I am asking SOLD plus shipping to your FFL. She has to go to a good home, so you have to promise to love her but still wring her pretty little neck at the range too. I hate to watch her leave.

The Mernickle PS6SA

Price is SOLD

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.