Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the Ruger name for the finish below and how common are they? I'd like to get a Vaquero .357 in this finish but not seeing any on Gunbroker.com

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It's called "color case hardening". Or, in the Ruger NV case it's a faux color case hardening. You can have one done by Turnbull Mfg.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's called "color case hardening". Or, in the Ruger NV case it's a faux color case hardening. You can have one done by Turnbull Mfg.
Thank you for the quick answer.
And since you gave the name the forum pulled up other threads and I see that it is something that is not durable so I don't want it and I will not have a gun out of my possession.

So it appears I will have to decide between the Vaquero S/S finish or getting an Urberti if the model I want has the transfer bar.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I would also be cool to have a New Vaquero with "real" case hardening, but I am happy with the blue I have now.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Yeah, Ruger used a chemical coloring process. Genuine color case hardening is very expensive, but beautiful.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rugers is a "color case finish"; Color case hardening is a relatively inexpensive process used on forged steel "only" to give the forging additional hardness. The expensive part is finding someone who can give consistent aesthetic results. Cast steel is not suitable for color case hardening as the case hardening will weaken the cast item. Turnbull MFG will do both; Color case finish on a Ruger and color case hardening on all forged revolvers. Ruger dropped the color case finish rather quickly due to wear issues. I personally like the finish and wish they still offered it as a catalogue item. Occasionally you will see the finish on a distributor exclusive; finding one is the challenge.

Regards

Rod

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
Does anyone know if the lack of durability is an issue with the original process as well as the new process? Is there also an issue of sun fading with one, the other or both?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
It's too bad Ruger doesn't have a a good case color frame - they look great on the Vaquero. But it is what it is. Reminds me of this Vaquero that now belongs to me. I call it my "Faux Ruger" - fake case color, fake ivory grips and fake gold engraving! Still a pretty gun - unfired, NIB, 45Colt, etc.......

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Mine still doesn't look to bad after all these years :

I added a Steel Ejector housing to this one and a #5 base pin.

I do wish they'd either kept it or improved it.... but not discontinued it. I liked it myself ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts