Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real difference in which receiver to use for a build. I am asking about just the frame not guts. I will be using other parts for the guts. I can likely get a complete 10/22 for close to $100 less that a Kidd receiver after shipping and ffl transfer and not sure it is worth it.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I don't think going to a Kidd will guarantee better accuracy, but there's no doubt a Kidd receiver is machined to stricter tolerances and held to a high standard of quality control than a stock Ruger receiver. I've seen some Ruger receivers that were pretty darn good, but I've also seem some that looked pretty rough, too. If nothing else, the Kidd receiver will certainly look a heck of a lot nicer on a rebuild gun than the flaky painted receiver Ruger now puts on a 10/22.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I don't think going to a Kidd will guarantee better accuracy, but there's no doubt a Kidd receiver is machined to stricter tolerances and held to a high standard of quality control than a stock Ruger receiver. I've seen some Ruger receivers that were pretty darn good, but I've also seem some that looked pretty rough, too. If nothing else, the Kidd receiver will certainly look a heck of a lot nicer on a rebuild gun than the flaky painted receiver Ruger now puts on a 10/22.
I like the vintage 10/22's but even my newer ones have a nice finish. I don't think I could shoot any better with a Kidd receiver. Thats not to say that is true with everyone.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Unless you're gonna go to that same level for the rest of the gun, you won't gain anything at all over a Ruger factory receiver. Going with components below that same level, that includes the optics, is in my opinion just going that route for show.
Have seen more than a few use Kidd receivers, barrels, etc and then use cheap scopes and cheap bulk ammo. *shakes head* Just don't get it. Be like having a Ferarri body on a Chevy chassis and using retread tires and low octane fuel. Might look fancy at first but looking closer, the performance and accessories aren't there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts