Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the jury's in on these .22 lr SA revolvers, & Ruger is the clear winner. This is after a few years of ownership, not just 1st time out comparison. I've always thought the Ruger Wrangler is better built, but the Heritage had the advantage of convertible .22lr / .22 magnum. I've had 2 Heritage Rough riders, traded in one on another gun.

I had some extra time this past weekend & took this Heritage Rough Rider out plus a .22 Marlin model 60. I'm glad I took the Marlin because the Heritage broke the cylinder hand spring (happened twice before on other Heritage). My drive is an hour each way, so I always take 2 guns.

Other forums are loaded with Heritage Rough Riders breaking the same cylinder hand spring after very little use (a few hundred rounds). I've gotten really good at replacing the cylinder hand spring. There's only screws, no pins to drive out. I called Heritage today & asked if they made better replacement springs since this is a regular problem. They don't, and they wanted to charge me $16 for a replacement. I would have expected a replacement N/C being a repeat customer with the exact same problem, 2nd time, 2nd gun. It's definitely a design flaw.

For comparison my Ruger Wrangler did break the ejector rod handle. They sent one out N/C, it arrived in 2-3 days. So Ruger beats Heritage on the customer service end too. If something goes wrong, they fix it. I paid extra for this model Heritage since it is simulated case hardened with green laminate grips. I also bought the magnum cylinder. It's a nice looking revolver, but I don't trust it to take out & shoot. You just never know when it will break.

IMG_20210610_200313.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have two (have owned 4 total) Rough Riders and 1 Wrangler. For me the Rough Rider with the 6.50 barrel model with the adjust fiber optic sights is the favorite. The .22 mag cylinders are not a factor for me as I do not shoot the mags...bought a few boxes and only shot half a box. Heck, they were expensive as 9mm prior to the SCAMdemic and twice as loud. I have been lucky with the Rough Riders as I am problem free with several hundred rds thru both of them. The Wrangler although a decent revolver is ...well to be honest, a cheap imitation of the Single Six....it is what it is. Somewhat accurate, but the BS plastic grips suck and the finish is even worse. Both the Heritage and the Wrangler revolvers are range toys and fun to waste time at the range shooting .22 ammo (especially like my stock of &1.99 a box Amscor and $2.99 Aguila) I accumulated. With my other semi auto .22 firearms I probably will never buy another revolver
of either makes again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I expect that when you buy a cheap revolver like the Heritage Rough Rider you are getting what you paid for. They are fun guns to shoot but I learned long ago to always take 2 guns with me when I go to the range just in case something goes wrong.

I picked up my 6.5 inch RR for $100 out the door. The Wrangler was twice that price.

I just wanted a single action revolver for the fun of it. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it and it's been fun, accurate and easy to shoot. I bought the magnum cylinder for only $29 and still haven't tried it yet but I do have it for when I want to blast my ears.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
This is a debate that I've had many times with friends who want a SA 22LR. I don't own a Heritage RR, but i do own a Single 6 and Wrangler. I tell my friends, if you are concerned about budget then go RR,if you can squeeze the piggy bank a little go Wrangler. If you want something for the long haul go Single 6. As others have said, you get what you pay for. Extra $$ for the Ruger CS is worth it to me. YMMV ...

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's been about 35 years since I bought a 22 revolver. Ruger hadn't started making the Wrangler yet, but the Single Six was a budget buster. I compared the Rough Rider with the H&R model 649 and went with the H&R because it came with the extra Mag cylinder. It's never had a problem, and I used it for years with shorts while running a trap line. I still plink with LR once in a while, but mainly carry it with Mags while hiking to pick off coyotes or prairie dogs whenever the opportunity arises. No regrets with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My very first handgun many years ago was a H & R model 622 revolver. This was a bare bones revolver, had to remove the cylinder pin and the cylinder to load and unload it, but it worked and nary a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here’s my latest addition. I had some rosewood take off’s that I was never really impressed with the finish. They don’t look that out of place on the wrangler. Certainly an upgrade over cheap black plastic.

05CD13BE-D8D3-48C5-A924-75FA53288AC0.jpeg

In my opinion the wrangler is much better quality than the rough rider. Still not a single six but a great value plinker. Durability and reliability wise… we shall see. At least I know Ruger will stand behind it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s my latest addition. I had some rosewood take off’s that I was never really impressed with the finish. They don’t look that out of place on the wrangler. Certainly an upgrade over cheap black plastic.

View attachment 156026

In my opinion the wrangler is much better quality than the rough rider. Still not a single six but a great value plinker. Durability and reliability wise… we shall see. At least I know Ruger will stand behind it.
I like the wood grips on your Wrangler. Mine is the silver/black one too. And you're right. Ruger will stand behind it. I'm sure Ruger would have just sent me the broken spring, not charge $16 for it like Heritage. Their cost can't be more than $1. Not for the cheap materials they use!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My neighbor bought a pair of heritage 6.5” she brought over to shoot. One operated fine. The other had an irritating hammer/cylinder lockup issue like my Wrangler did. One was pretty on target. The other was pretty far off.

The Wrangler I bought the wife needed a lot of work out of the box to be usable. It’s sights are also off. With that gun, there’s nothing that can be done. It’s unfortunate on both counts. I’ll likely never buy either one again, but there are other options.

I can’t attest to the longevity of it but that little Uberti I picked up the other day was about $350. The standard SAA version is a little cheaper and runs about $300. Seems very well built and very smooth. For that $350, it’s got a case hardened frame, beautiful real bluing and target sights.

Single-Sixes are really nice but also awfully expensive. There’s like $100 difference between my sixes and my Blackhawks. I got some nice sixes but even then, the price is still tough to swallow considering they are just .22lr. You can’t buy the exact guns anymore unless you find someone with someone with some NOS but there are close configurations. These are running about $600 each on the secondary market now. But, for the money, they’re stainless with target sights.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Anyone done an accuracy comparison?
if i had the RR i could, so if anyone would be interested in donating $$ to the project i promise to provide the valuable information ... 😉😁👌

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My neighbor bought a pair of heritage 6.5” she brought over to shoot. One operated fine. The other had an irritating hammer/cylinder lockup issue like my Wrangler did. One was pretty on target. The other was pretty far off.

The Wrangler I bought the wife needed a lot of work out of the box to be usable. It’s sights are also off. With that gun, there’s nothing that can be done. It’s unfortunate on both counts. I’ll likely never buy either one again, but there are other options.

View attachment 156048

I can’t attest to the longevity of it but that little Uberti I picked up the other day was about $350. The standard SAA version is a little cheaper and runs about $300. Seems very well built and very smooth. For that $350, it’s got a case hardened frame, beautiful real bluing and target sights.

View attachment 156047

Single-Sixes are really nice but also awfully expensive. There’s like $100 difference between my sixes and my Blackhawks. I got some nice sixes but even then, the price is still tough to swallow considering they are just .22lr. You can’t buy the exact guns anymore unless you find someone with someone with some NOS but there are close configurations. These are running about $600 each on the secondary market now. But, for the money, they’re stainless with target sights.

View attachment 156046
Besides the sights, what else was wrong with your wife's plum Wrangler? The stainless SS's are very nice. One looks like it might be a Single ten? What's the engraving on the cylinders?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Besides the sights, what else was wrong with your wife's plum Wrangler? The stainless SS's are very nice. One looks like it might be a Single ten? What's the engraving on the cylinders?
The Wrangler, the cylinder was too tight in the frame. Scraped the crap out of the cylinder trying to turn it. I assume it was the right size before the cerakoted it. The hammer locks up often requiring you to manually rotate the cylinder with your other hand to free it. In my opinion, the only thing it had going for it out of the box was that it was pretty.

The Bisley Single-Sixes, (yes, they are sixes) they have the same engraving as my 45 Bisleys. Here is a photo of those engravings.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like the Bisley unflutted cylinder and rollmark. WBR did not like the roll mark on the Bisley from what I have read.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts