Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been hemming and hawing over stainless steel guns and iron sights for quite some time now, between the ease of maintenance and reliability of iron sights, I've been dead set in my ways.

Most recently I've come to the decision that I want to buy a Ruger gunsite scout international/export version, followed by the decision that I will instead buy a Ruger Alaskan .375 for the lack of a zombie apocalypse or running war scenario I ever honestly see myself being in plus the honest to God fun of lighting off a heavy caliber round every so often to get the heart beating.

My inner addict is strong.

So, today when I was about to place my order for a Ruger Alaskan .375, I did something completely unexpected, I actually decided to compromise between childish glee and adult reason, and actually buy the rifle that fulfills all my current needs.

I bought a Ruger m77 hawkeye .308 tactical.

It is not stainless, it is not magazine fed, it does not have iron sights and it's over $800!! What the hell was I thinking?!?!

What does all this mean?
Well, I will explain.

I have a redfield revolution 2-7x33 accu range scope on the way for my birthday. I like to shoot a lot when I do get the chance to shoot. I clean my guns religiously after shooting them. I will only ever hunt occasionally, if ever. I have everything under 200 yards covered in spades between my 6" ss GP100 and 77/357 combo. I am honestly not going to be in an endless zombie apocalypse or running battle/war. I do not live in or frequent areas of high humidity and/or salt air areas.

It is/was time to admit to myself that I am honestly just an enthuesiast. As such, the Ruger Alaskan with iron sights, stainless steel and 3" magnum shotgun cartridge recoil for $4+ a round is just truly not for me, no matter how hard my inner 'Biiiig Badda Boom' 5th element junky retorts.

Also, the US's Ruger gunsite scout with it's detachable magazine, lighter weight, iron sights and shorter handier package is just not necessary at all for me. The velocity lost from the shorter barrel may not affect accuracy that much, but as it affects velocity, and possible hunting is a furute requirement, the loss should be avoided.

No, what I really want, and need, is a rifle that is more than capable of fulfilling 300-600 yard shots on <300lbs animals if necessary and paper/steel targets at least from 100-900 yards more often than not, while reducing recoil as much as possible through weight and design for the range more often than hunting, having a wonderful stock, a shorter overall package for transport in general and general operation, a bipod for the range and a sling for hunting. Oh, and it has to look good.

So, this is why I bought the Ruger M77 Hawkeye .308 Tactical.

20" heavy barrel with flash hider, hogue overmold stock, included bipod and two fore end studs for both the bipod and sling, .308 winchester caliber for a plethora of cheap ammo choices and ability to shoot all day long if desired, to distances to just over 1000 yards if desired, is going to weigh easily 10lbs. all said and done with scope, ammo and bipod which will make recoil a joke others only ever have to deal with and is just plain cool looking.

Oh, and it fulfills my desire to have a 'Father' gun to be the next step up from my 6" ss GP100 and 77/357 progression while staying within the same manufacturer/family.

It should be here by the end of the week. I honestly am still taken aback by myself over my sudden dichotomy of maturity and irresponsible spending.

I will post pictures and a range report as soon as possible.

If this thread comes off as a rant or gloat, I apologize, the true intent is two fold; to hopefully help others make better decisions on what they should really get over what they think they should get and to admit my admiration for Ruger's M77 Hawkeye .308 Tactical.

I'd like to thank the rugerforum.net members for providing such a wonderful forum filled with good questions advice and support that in the end are what led me to this self realization and purchase decision, despite the fact that it is not the decision most recently proposed.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I think you will be very happy with your choice. 308 does everything well.

:)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice looking choice and a lot of fun! Congratulations on what promises to be a great addition to your firearm family. Looking forward to photos and range report.

Wave

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are going to love the rifle...

I have the same model (minus the flash hider) bought it two years ago.

It's very accurate and I have read reviews and comments that it may be the most accurate bolt gun Ruger has produced!!!

Great choice. ;)

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the support!

I am actually still kind of taken aback by myself over the decision, but as I've explained above, everytime I run over my actual criteria needs over desires, it really is the best option for me, and hot damn does it look ever so slightly bad arse as well!

I really can't wait to get my hands on it, mount it's scope and get it sighted in for some long range fun!

I do have one question or concern however, one post I've read while researching this particular rifle stated that the matte hakeye finish on this rifle is different from all of Rufer's other rifles and actually is weaker and more susceptible to rusting. Has anyone here found this to be the case?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't heard or read that before and I haven't had any rust issues either.

I'm not a hunter so the gun hasn't been bumping around in the woods, strickly a range gun at this point.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info, I'd only seen it complained about once during my research, but as there is also relatively little information and very few posts around the net for this specific rifle, I felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

Now to go back to doing the worst job of patiently waiting for a new rifle to arrive ever. :eek:

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
just FYI.....you can still have the iron sights ...for back up.....go visit the NECG website
LMAO! I was actually just looking for a screw on front sight that could replace the flashider if I wanted or a flashider with a front sight incorporated!

Great minds and all that!

Edit: Thank you for the heads up!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been considering having my barrel threaded to add a muzzle brake; I never thought of the other possibilities....

This is my first attempt to post a picture, hope it doesn't add to your agony of waiting.

Your rifle will be worth the wait for sure, mine was...

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the flash suppressor I've installed on my GSR, it's from AAC.

This will enable an installation of a sound suppressor in the future.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Redfield Revolution 2-7 x33 just showed up on the doorstep, making waiting for my M77 Hawkeye .308 Tactical that much more tortureous!!!

@clw1128: That's a shame that the older models of the hawkeye tactical did not come threaded :( If it makes you feel any better, my late night searching for either a front sight that screws into a threaded barrel or a flash hider with integrated front sight turned up some pretty varied results that have me a bit confused, so no joy on that front for me either. :(

Beautiful picture though and thank you for it!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, unfortunately I am still waiting for my M77 Hawkeye .308 Tactical to arrive... :'(

In the meantime, Ive decided to return the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 and get a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 instead. My reason for doing so is that originally I figured it would be nice to be able to use the 2-7 for both the hawkeye tactical and my 77/357. But the more I've thought about it, I really do not want to cross my rifles roles or abilities (or at least limit overlap as much as possible).

1-50yds. = GP100
50-200yds = 77/357
200-500(+)yds = M77 Tactical .308

My logic for jumping from 2-7 to 4-12 is that it gets me at least 50yd views of all the ranges I wish to be able to shoot with precision, the ability to take on the steel plate targets or whatever else I want much farther and (hopefully) one of the powers matches the intended holdover references on the accu range retical fairly well, if not I still have everything else I want.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**UPDATE**

Just wanted to update this thread that I DID FINALLY get my rifle and have since mounted my scope, sling, my non tilt bipod and I've replaced the Ruger birdcage flash hider with a Vortex flash hider.

Today WAS supposed to be it's first range outting and sighting in, but the range is closed...

Also, when I first got the rifle, the second thing I did was run a dollar bill under the barrel to see if the Hogue overmold stock really does flex to the point of topuching the free floated barrel and it did not. However, since I've installed the scope, the stock does now bend to touch the barrel. As to whether this will affect accuracy, I will find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Had I known that model existed when I bought my SCOUT, I would have taken that for sure. I didn't, and bought a Scout, and have been pretty happy with it. And last weekend a couple of Deer were pretty un-happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.