Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just never have understood Ruger's marketing strategy, but I must say that their lack of pursuit of police contracts baffles me. I know that they have some corrections departments, but I know of only a few police agency contracts.

Ruger's price point is already lower than most manufacturer's agency pricing. You'd think that Ruger would be able to get into more cop holters and get that good advertising. With just a little bit of agressive marketing, they should be able to get some contracts. It shouldn't be too hard to come out with a .40SW version of the new P95R. They already sell them in the low $300s, and with discounts for group bulk purchases and with trade-ins, they could get some agencies in to Ruger for little or no money.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Has got to be some reason besides quality and reliability. Rugers are as reliable as what the Police and Military both use. I've wondered the same thing.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

Has got to be some reason besides quality and reliability. Rugers are as reliable as what the Police and Military both use. I've wondered the same thing.
Ruger just doesn't go after the contracts, or at least it appears they don't. Plus, because they are so rare in the police market, not many of the gear makers support them.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
If I remember correctly, Ruger makes more semi-autos every year than anyone else. Guess they don't really need to go after the police market. And there are a few dept. that issue Rugers. Lot of police dept.s are somewhat snobbish when it comes to Rugers. I guess lots of people think if you don't pay an arm and a leg for a gun, then it aint no good. Ruger owners know better!

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

If I remember correctly, Ruger makes more semi-autos every year than anyone else. Guess they don't really need to go after the police market. And there are a few dept. that issue Rugers. Lot of police dept.s are somewhat snobbish when it comes to Rugers. I guess lots of people think if you don't pay an arm and a leg for a gun, then it aint no good. Ruger owners know better!
Glock got into 70% of the police holsters in the US via agressive marketing. They have done this in pretty much a 10 year period, and I have made it so that it's just downright odd to see anything else in police holters.

I took a class last week in which out of 22 officers, I was the only one shooting something other than a Glock. My agency is the only one in our state government not with Glock, and we will be switching soon.

The rest of the gun companies just stood by and watched it happen. S&W is in death throws because they waited too late to try to compete and even now that they can compete on price, they just aren't agressive enough in their marketing.

Ruger could have stepped in years ago and got into the market and built a stronger market share, but they just let it slip away.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Does Ruger really want that business? My perception...perhaps wrong...is that Ruger doesn't need it and, with the sporting arms business apparently quite healthy, probably doesn't want the headaches that accompany government contracts. You'd think that being on the "guv'mt list" would be a boon and it probably would be to about anyone BUT Ruger...those boys sell about EVERYTHING they put the logo on!

BUT, it sure don't make sense that agencies don't seek out Ruger...as you guys point out ( and we all know ) buying Rugers would be just plain smart for many reasons.

I understand that the P85 was originally designed for military consideration when the government was lookin' fer a 9, and that the gun passed everything, but the Beretta was picked...but, I may be wrong...

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Jody Johnson

Does Ruger really want that business? My perception...perhaps wrong...is that Ruger doesn't need it and, with the sporting arms business apparently quite healthy, probably doesn't want the headaches that accompany government contracts. You'd think that being on the "guv'mt list" would be a boon and it probably would be to about anyone BUT Ruger...those boys sell about EVERYTHING they put the logo on!

BUT, it sure don't make sense that agencies don't seek out Ruger...as you guys point out ( and we all know ) buying Rugers would be just plain smart for many reasons.

I understand that the P85 was originally designed for military consideration when the government was lookin' fer a 9, and that the gun passed everything, but the Beretta was picked...but, I may be wrong...
In my state, Glock has negociated a state contract price. An agency can simply order them at the contract price. If they have trades they can negociate a trade-in price for their old weapons. Glock is very aggressive and will help you get the best trade price. Springfield doesn't offer agency sales. Sig does, but they aren't as agressive as Glock. Same goes for S&W, although S&W did just change reps in my area.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

Ruger sells full-auto mini-14s to many police departments.
I think they actually have a machine pistol or subgun as well, but I have never seen them at any of the seminars and such here trying to sell them.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Seems to me that Ruger sells all the firearms they want to. Personally, I'll take my P89DC over any Glock 19.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ruger doesn't need any gubment contracts. And I'm glad they don't have any. People start seeing them in cops holsters and next thing you know they cost as much as an XD or Glock (both overpriced in my opinion!). I own many handguns, but the only one that I can pick up after months or maybe even years of not shooting it and still hit everything I point it at is my P89. Shhhhhhh!

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
268 Posts
quote:Originally posted by legacy38

I just never have understood Ruger's marketing strategy, but I must say that their lack of pursuit of police contracts baffles me. I know that they have some corrections departments, but I know of only a few police agency contracts.....
Many shooters all ready complain of Ruger's customer service and quality (I don't). If they pursued "police contracts" don't you think it would be at the expense of the civilian user in the form of limited availability and poorer quality firearms?

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

quote:Originally posted by legacy38

I just never have understood Ruger's marketing strategy, but I must say that their lack of pursuit of police contracts baffles me. I know that they have some corrections departments, but I know of only a few police agency contracts.....
Many shooters all ready complain of Ruger's customer service and quality (I don't). If they pursued "police contracts" don't you think it would be at the expense of the civilian user in the form of limited availability and poorer quality firearms?
I just don't follow that reasoning. I don't see how more sales would mean such a drop in service. Glock has people that only handle the government/police sales side of things, and they run rings around anybody else for service.

·
Registered
268 Posts
quote:Originally posted by legacy38......I just don't follow that reasoning. I don't see how more sales would mean such a drop in service. Glock has people that only handle the government/police sales side of things, and they run rings around anybody else for service.
You pay more for a Glock too...and IMO it's not a better firearm.

Higher production output means more production expenses for the company which in turn get passed on to the civilian customer. Ruger has come up with a decent balance of quality vs. production output vs. competitive pricing. Anyone of those would suffer if a sudden upsurge in production was demanded of them by taking on many law enforcement contracts too fast. Of course if they did it gradually then it might work, but look at what happened to S&W. They used to be the #1 handgun in quality and pricing and all the cops carried them too. The ones made these days are pricier than Rugers and many times are not up to the task of a Ruger.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

quote:Originally posted by legacy38......I just don't follow that reasoning. I don't see how more sales would mean such a drop in service. Glock has people that only handle the government/police sales side of things, and they run rings around anybody else for service.
You pay more for a Glock too...and IMO it's not a better firearm.

Higher production output means more production expenses for the company which in turn get passed on to the civilian customer. Ruger has come up with a decent balance of quality vs. production output vs. competitive pricing. Anyone of those would suffer if a sudden upsurge in production was demanded of them by taking on many law enforcement contracts too fast. Of course if they did it gradually then it might work, but look at what happened to S&W. They used to be the #1 handgun in quality and pricing and all the cops carried them too. The ones made these days are pricier than Rugers and many times are not up to the task of a Ruger.
S&W was mismanaged under a previous ownership and tried to coast on reputation. Plus, they sat back and let Glock just come in and take the market away from them. S&W is trying to take the market back by producing the M&P, their AR (actually a Stag), and soon to come bolt-action tac rifle, and a shotgun so that they can be a one stop shop for contracts and training.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would hate to be forced to carry a Glock when there are so many pistols that I shoot better, fit my hand better, don't have that weird trigger, and cost much, much less. It is a good thing most cops never have to defend themselves with them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts