Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten one of these yet or know when they will be available? I have the LCP 380 and the LC 9, but I'm really wanting to get one of the new LC 380. If anyone has used one, what did you think of it? THANKS!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't have one. Only reason I could see for getting one is if you already have the LCP and wanted to share ammo. Since you have both, personally I'd find another toy. From what I understand its an LC9 that shoots .380. Same dimensions, weight, etc... I'm pretty sure the recoil will be pretty close to the LC9 if your recoil sensitive.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Just the opposite actually. The LC380 uses the same locking system as the LC9. The LCP380 is a blowback operated (fixed barrel) pistol so recoil with the LC380 should be quite a bit lighter by comparison. ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
The LCP, LC9 & LC380 are all short recoil operated. I'm interested in the LC380 because it's bound to be easier for my large hands to hold than the LCP. If anyone has any info. on availability, please do share.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope they bring it to the market better than the Colt Mustang, I had one on order for over six months, then got tired of waiting and bought a Sig P238 Extreme. I could see adding this one to my .380 collection.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I already have the LCP and LC9 so i am not real interested in a pistol that is almost identical to the LC9 only with a lower performing cartridge. I think the .380 is a great round for CC in warm weather in the size of the LCP, but if you have the larger size why not have the better performing round? The LC9 is a comfortable and well mannered pistol to shoot, it is hard to improve on it for what it is intended for.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I already have the LCP and LC9 so i am not real interested in a pistol that is almost identical to the LC9 only with a lower performing cartridge. I think the .380 is a great round for CC in warm weather in the size of the LCP, but if you have the larger size why not have the better performing round? The LC9 is a comfortable and well mannered pistol to shoot, it is hard to improve on it for what it is intended for.
Dittos.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The LCP, LC9 & LC380 are all short recoil operated. I'm interested in the LC380 because it's bound to be easier for my large hands to hold than the LCP. If anyone has any info. on availability, please do share.
Ruger® LC380? Centerfire Pistol

I just got an email from Ruger.

This may be a silly question...I really do not know a whole lot about guns yet.....but if it is the same gun, would it not make sense that you could just buy the slide mechanism for the new 380 and swap it onto your LC9??

And of course...a new Mag

·
Registered
350 Posts
... but if you have the larger size why not have the better performing round?
One reason: If you've already got a .380 ACP or two in the collection (as I do), it's easier to continue shooting the same cartridge rather than having to stock up on multiple calibers. Across all categories of firearms (handgun, rifle, shotgun) I already have something like 9 or 10 different chamberings. Really the last thing I need is yet another.

·
Registered
485 Posts

This just about says it all.......I think it would have been a better to make an
LC45

It would probably break your wrist....but it would be cool

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
This may be a silly question...I really do not know a whole lot about guns yet.....but if it is the same gun, would it not make sense that you could just buy the slide mechanism for the new 380 and swap it onto your LC9??

And of course...a new Mag
Theoretically, yes, you could swap slide, barrel, recoil spring, and maybe recoil spring guide rod, and magazine and make an LC9 into an LC380. But Ruger has a habit of being cautious selling parts that they haven't factory fitted. I can guarantee you that if you sent them an LC9 to be converted(factory fitted parts required), they will send it back to you with a very courteous note saying "Sorry, this isn't something that we will do"

·
Registered
674 Posts
Okay, I'm confused. I looked at the operator's manual for the .380 on the Ruger website and it shows one for the LC9. Well, I guess the .380 is really a 9mm short. Someone said it had a "fixed barrel"? Is that the same as a tilting barrel which I am familiar with on most common pistols? Now, my Walther PP in .380 had a barrel that was fixed to the frame, that is what I call a "fixed barrel". As far as interchanging calibers, I like my Sig 226. Just change the slide, barrel, and operating spring and it turns from .22 to 9mm to .40cal. Sweet!

·
Banned
619 Posts
Okay, I'm confused. I looked at the operator's manual for the .380 on the Ruger website and it shows one for the LC9. Well, I guess the .380 is really a 9mm short. Someone said it had a "fixed barrel"? Is that the same as a tilting barrel which I am familiar with on most common pistols? Now, my Walther PP in .380 had a barrel that was fixed to the frame, that is what I call a "fixed barrel". As far as interchanging calibers, I like my Sig 226. Just change the slide, barrel, and operating spring and it turns from .22 to 9mm to .40cal. Sweet!
My fault. For some reason I was thinking the LCP was a blowback and as DEKerr pointed out, they are all short recoil operated. But the LC 380 is larger and slightly heavier than the LCP so it should still be better as far as recoil is concerned. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info

As an older female (with small hands), I am a bit "recoil sensitive" especially for repetitive firing (at the range). I loved the size of the LCP 380 but not the recoil. My LC 9 is better but I like having a variety to choose from. I've relegated my Ruger LCR 38 spl to the night stand. I take it to the range to "keep in practice" but I have to admit it is the least favorite of all my handguns, only because of the recoil. I thought the LC 380 would have less recoil, if only because it was larger and heavier.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Okay, I'm confused. I looked at the operator's manual for the .380 on the Ruger website and it shows one for the LC9. Well, I guess the .380 is really a 9mm short. Someone said it had a "fixed barrel"? Is that the same as a tilting barrel which I am familiar with on most common pistols? Now, my Walther PP in .380 had a barrel that was fixed to the frame, that is what I call a "fixed barrel".
The 380 cartridge is definitely a 9MM short. Using the .22 [Short, Long, and Long Rifle] as an example the 380 = 9MM Short, the 9MM = 9MM long, and the .38 Super would be the 9MM Long Rifle.

The old Walther PP series [PP, PPk, PPKS and so on] were [are] great examples of the blowback design. The LCP is Locked Breech design.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Just the opposite actually. The LC380 uses the same locking system as the LC9. The LCP380 is a blowback operated (fixed barrel) pistol so recoil with the LC380 should be quite a bit lighter by comparison. ;)
I respectfully request you check your facts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In a post on Guns.com, David Higginbotham said, "A move that surprised a lot of us was the move up in size for Ruger’s .380 pistols. With the success of the LCP, which is really small, why go up?
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. :p It takes away the advantage of the LCP (conceal size) and adds the disadvantage of the .380 (less powerful round compared to the LC9's 9mm). I suppose some people with massive paws will appreciate the size for ease of shooting, but in that case, why not go for the LC9?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts