Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my Stainless OA after shooting, used my usual hot soapy water and then a patch or 2 of Hoppes, even though hot soapy water seems to get it all. If I shine a light from the cylinder end of the barrel it looks perfect like it always has (bought gun new in 75).

I shined the light from the muzzle end and it looks fine but I noticed a "shadow" this time that I have not seen before. About an inch down the barrel is a area that has barely noticeable rust colouring. Its a large area, it goes down the barrel about another inch and covers half the inside diameter of the barrel. I can't seem to get rid of it with brass brush, hoppes or anything else. Its perfectly smooth, not rough and not rust. You have to shine the light just right to see it or the barrel looks good.

It looks like at one time I may have had some surface rust in the area and I caught before it did any damage but the colouring is still there, how do I clean it ?

I tried to take a picture but could not do it. It almost looks like case colouring where the metal has taken some color, trust me its never been that hot :)

I may have to learn to ignore it but I would rather clean it up

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ruger stainless has a high carbon content and it will rust. Remember, it is stainless, not stain proof. Go to your local hardware store and buy the smallest quantity of copper screen wire they will sell. Screen wire comes in different sized holes, the smallest ones work best. Use kitchen shears to cut your screen into 1" or 1 1/2" squares. Fold the squares over your cleaning jag and scrub the dickens out of the bore.........robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts