Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, went to clean my LC9 and found this:

I cleaned a little bit of rust out, but that was as good as I could get it.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Gonna need much more information about the situation, like how you store it, what cleaning products you use, what kind of holster, what oil, etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I thnk what you are looking at is some sort of orange grease that Ruger uses in assembly. I cleaned a bunch like that out of mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
None on mine yet , almost a year old keep it cleaned and lubedif it doesn't clean up and it bothers you
ask your local gun shop if they can get it off. There might just be a trick of the trade to fix it.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I have had a small spot of light surface rust on the side of the slide due to sweat soaking through the leather holster over time. I've cleaned it and keep Rem oil on it regularly, now it's not a problem. I'm not happy about it but it doesn't harm the gun's function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna need much more information about the situation, like how you store it, what cleaning products you use, what kind of holster, what oil, etc.
I use Hoppe's to clean it, and Rem-Oil. This is my carry weapon, so I clean it about once a week... Can others post pictures of this section of their slides?

Gunnar

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have desantis soft tuk holster and the part of the slide is not covered that rides against your body. well wore it one day when it was hot and sweating. didnt know it till i cleaned gun that it rusted and pitted a little! i was really upset because it was a new gun! lesson well learned!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have to wipe my carry guns down daily. Any of them will rust with my sweat.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my LC9 for 2 years now and CC daily. I wipe it down once a week and clean it when needed. Haven't had an issue with rust until today. Was out boating for the 4th holiday and had an issue with my bilge pump on Saturday. The LC9 got wet. I got the boat out and came home. Went to clean the LC9 tonight and it had already rusted on the slide! Really? Wet on Saturday (Fresh water) and rusted on Monday.

·
Registered
587 Posts
SantaSailor,

I knew a guy that went to the lake and took a few rifles in the back of a pickup with a camper shell on it. He wrapped the rifles carefully in a quilt. Well, it rained during the trip and he never thought to check the guns until later in the week. The guns were sitting in wet quilts for days, as the camper shell had leaked. Totally ruined. One was an old Marlin lever action .22 that I had been trying to buy from him for years. :mad: He and the guns both are gone today, I still wish I had that Marlin. :rolleyes:

DR

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like my LC9, but it is a rust-bucket compared to my other pistols. This is something I wish Ruger would improve upon. Wipe it with oil frequently if you live in any kind of humidity, or if you sweat a lot like I do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update::: i did call ruger recently they said to send in the gun, it is an early ser number, when it returned 10 days later they had re-blued the slide and updated all internals to current parts. No charge... THATS how im a fan for life. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447512994.902296.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I called them because overnight i had rust develope on my safety, mag release button, and hammer spring. I called just to ask a question about rust problems w the new desantis holster i had just purchased 4 days earlier causing the problem. Thats when they asked ser number and asked for the gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts