Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if you guys have experienced this or if you think it is normal... i have been noticing little tiny rust spots showing up on the frame. It's the worst under the grips. I have only owned mine for a little over a month and have only shot it indoors. It's also not been wet or humid and stored in a case.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I noticed that on my first 1911 as well. Scrub it good and put a nice coat of oil under the grips. They tend to trap moisture. In my experience it is normal, and just a sign that you need to keep that part of your weapon lubed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't make sense to me that the "stainless" is rusting... It is also happening everywhere else on the frame but just in VERY small spots I would post pics of the other spots but it is difficult to see in them. No rust on the slide however.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Stainless steel is rust resistant....not rustproof!

·
Registered
596 Posts
mine had rust in the same spot when I took it apart before I ever shot it it may be from condensation. or the manufacturing process.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
On a new gun, small specks may actually be polishing compound or dust from the sanders Ruger uses to get their "brushed" finish.

Good reason to thoroughly clean a new gun. After that, you know anything you see is actually new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you store it in the soft case you got with the gun? If so the soft cases can trap moisture. I have the sr1911 and had the same problem. I keep the gun in a safe now and only use the soft case if I take it out of the house. Haven't had a problem sence.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There's as many different Alloy's of Stainless Steel as they're are minutes in a lifetime. Some with more carbon and some with less and a little more chromium. The latter is a very expensive portion of the stainless soup mix. Usually I've found that rusty stainless was a direct indicator of the cheapness of the product and of the manufacturer. Why that would end up to be Ruger, I have no idea. I can tell you though, my GP100, SP101, and SRH Alaskan are just fine and have never shown signs of rusting no matter how well or poorly they were cared for (ie long time before cleaning, etc.).

So either Ruger has gotten cheap or maybe someone else is part chef when it comes to their 1911? Maybe it's a third party problem? Smithy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I store it in a hard case inside the house. So it is definately not exposed. Quite honestly this is the first time I have had anything metal rust in oregon that wasn't left outside for years...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Look up crevice corrosion which is very possible with many stainless steels.

Some stainless is heat treatable and some is not. The manufacturers pick the alloy they feel best for an application. Some rust and some do not.

People who just think all stainless is the same thing do not really know much about the materials. Many fine stainless steel knife blades are subject to rust but hold an extreme edge. The alloys which will not generally rust make very poor knife steels for instance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have noticed that 304 to 316 Alloys are less susceptible to rust as the 400 Alloys are.
The 400 Alloys are more Ductile then the 300 alloys and are less likely to get stress cracks.
The more nickle in the alloy the more it will resist rust but the trade off is it is prone to cracking.
I can only guess that most Semi Auto Fire Arms are made from an Alloy 347 or higher.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The stainless on most firearms can and will oxidize or rust if left unprotected. Take a magnet and hold it to your SR1911 and you might just be surprised that it will stick. Not quite the quality stainless of surgical blades or other high chromium content stainless steels. Oil it up and it'll be just fine.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
This OP bugged me until I unpacked and checked all my guns. No rust.

Come to think, I've never had the least speck of rust on a stainless Ruger. My current Bearcats and Mark III are totally stainless, and as pretty as new. I've had the Mark III for four years, the Bearcats nearly two.

I just keep them in silicone gun socks, laying in a closet mounted pistol box. I don't wipe them down with anything but a soft cloth. I do finish cleaning with an oily patch down the bore, that's all.

Having a frame rust as easily as described in this thread would bother me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts