Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with a small of back holster. Seems like a good idea. I just won one on ebay for cheap so i figured i would try it out.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got a Galco leather holster for my G27 that is for IWB, right hip draw. I've carried it behind the back before and was comfortable when I wore it with jeans on. However, I found that when sitting down and driving, it would dig into my kidneys. Not that you couldn't get it modified a bit, but I wasn't 100% comfortable with it, but again, it was great when standing up.

I did find it a bit more difficult to keep the gun from printing when it was SOB (large baseball jersey) than it was when it was on my hip.

But, this is just my experience.

·
Banned
723 Posts
The only thing I carry in the small of my back is my glove pouch on my duty belt.

The pouch, full of gloves, all two pair, is sort of soft and acts liking padding. In no way do I want something hard, like a gun, pressing against my spine. My Brother's partner was thrown down a flight of stairs in a fight. Twenty years later he is lucky to be able to walk with the aide of a walker. Nevermind the fact that he kissed his LEO career goodbye.

What does this have to do with SOB Carry you ask? Easy answer, he carried his handcuffs in the small of his back.

Biker

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an IWB SOB holster that I sometimes use with a sport jacket or suit coat with the grip parallel to my spine and off to one side. Concealment is very good but you need to remember to squat to pick things up rather than bend over or it will definately print. I've found it's also a good idea not to use hardbacked chairs as they can be uncomfortable and the sound of your gun hitting the chair can draw unwanted attention. Cushioned seats have not been a problem and are reasonably comfortable once you get used to this mode of carry. To me the downside of this rig is the danger of injury if you get into a physical altercation that results in you landing on your back against a hard surface. Good luck with your new rig. I hope it works as well for you as mine has for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to carry a 1911 in an SOB and it was pretty comfortable as far as walking around went. My main difficulty was when I was sitting down. Well, more accurately, when I was getting up from a chair. If the chair did not have a full back (the back had rungs or whatnot) I would often find my holster hanging up on the chair. This resulted in an abrupt halt when standing and often sitting right back down again. Then I would have to scoot forward on the chair seat to make sure I didn't get caught again. This did not make for a very graceful scene, as it often lifted the chair, made a bunch of noise, etc. For illustrative purposes, think of sitting in one of those steel folding chairs and getting your gun/holster sneaking up under the back of the chair without your realizing it.

The one I had also had a piece of leather which covered the magazine eject, resulting in my magazines popping out depending on how I sat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darkness, this hoster is for a sp101 so i dont have to worry about the magazine falling out. I appreciate everyone's input. Biker I had read alot about the spinal injuries from falling on the gun and that does kinda worry me.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Small of back carry will print, especially when you bend over, it is very uncomfortable while sitting, and if you should be in a scuffle and get knocked on your butt, you could well suffer a serious spinal injury if you land on your back.

Looks "cool" in the movies, but not really a good idea, IMHO.

·
Banned
298 Posts
How are you recovering? My dad broke his C-5 about 5 1/2 years ago. I know how awful those injuries can be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys got the holster yesterday and though i was impressed with the fit and finish of it i can say that it prints much more than i thought it would. I do have a large butt for a guy though. it seemed like a good idea oh well lesson learned

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
How are you recovering? My dad broke his C-5 about 5 1/2 years ago. I know how awful those injuries can be.
Very well considering. No real limitations. I had surgery to install titanium rods and screws. Was out of work for about 5 weeks and in a brace for 3 mos. At this point I have some random soreness on occasion, but nothing ibuprofen can't handle.

Not something I'd recommend though. The first few weeks really sucked.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Well guys got the holster yesterday and though i was impressed with the fit and finish of it i can say that it prints much more than i thought it would. I do have a large butt for a guy though. it seemed like a good idea oh well lesson learned
See if you can wear it off center. The one that I have does fairly well when moved to the point half-way between the spine and the hip bone. But then again, that puts it in virtually a strong side "behind the hip".

As stated above, the SOB is not as practical as you would hope. :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I had one once. Thought it would be good idea while on the Harley. WRONG!
Most uncomfortable thing I have ever had. The gun was allways banging me in the tailbone and printed really, really bad. It was pain in the ***. But then again, I'm an old fat guy. Might work for you. Good luck.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Very well considering. No real limitations. I had surgery to install titanium rods and screws. Was out of work for about 5 weeks and in a brace for 3 mos. At this point I have some random soreness on occasion, but nothing ibuprofen can't handle.

Not something I'd recommend though. The first few weeks really sucked.
Thats not a bad deal for a spinal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One has to take a look at the possibility that in a stressful situation,will you be able to access that weapon EVERY time. Also if you get up close ,say hand to hand with a bad guy,he COULD access your weapon for you.
I dont feel comfortable knowing someone could come up behind me and grab for my weapon. Hard to fight them off & maintain control of the gun while they are struggling behind you. The back injury IF you fall on it is also a bad way to go.
To each his or her own ,but Ive mentioned a few reasons why the SOB won't work for "me".
Take care & Be safe........BoogeyMan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts