Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the S&W 15-22 to the range, and had an irritating but successful trip.

The indoor rifle range doesn't allow less than 25 yards, My laser is rated 20, so it was hard to see. The range choice of targets was all crazy backgrounds with different color targets scattered on them, nothing serious looking. The contrasts didn't help. And the range light was good at 23 yards, 25 was between lights, arrggh. My brother's bench bags were too short for an AR design, and the lane shelf was too short. I had to shoot with the stock collapsed.

My matching all 3 sights ahead of time helped. I started off an inch left and 2 inches high with 4 inch groups. Finished with shots scattered around the bull and 3 inch groups with any of the sights. I think I'm better than that, considering my first rifle time in two years and range conditions. Used Federal Auto Match, 2 duds with good strikes in 90 rounds, not bad.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It sounds like you're sighted in and ready to do some off-hand ready-up drills with that rifle. I have been working on those with my Galil Ace when it goes to the range. I was using B-29 targets at 100 yards for those, but 25 yards would probably be more appropriate. The only problem is that the range where I shoot doesn't have a 25yd line--only 50' at the max, and that's for handguns.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dot sight is the better green, but the red laser being rated 20 yards is good for me. I don't think they're accurate enough for much farther, no matter how they're set up. Plus, with both colors I can tell which is which....:)

Reactions: maddmatter1970

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lasers are good for close up in the dark, in perfect conditions . That's it. If you really want to see them fail try taking one outside in daylight, or in the rain , or in tall grass.
Really , it's a last ditch in the dark thing. Probably would not be using a 22 rifle for that anyway.

The Dot sight should be your go to sight and good out to an easy 50 to 75 yards ,,,, maybe more.
Get that rifle outside where it belongs and have some real fun with it.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Lasers are good for close up in the dark, in perfect conditions . That's it. If you really want to see them fail try taking one outside in daylight, or in the rain , or in tall grass.
Really , it's a last ditch in the dark thing. Probably would not be using a 22 rifle for that anyway.

The Dot sight should be your go to sight and good out to an easy 50 to 75 yards ,,,, maybe more.
Get that rifle outside where it belongs and have some real fun with it.
Green lasers are more powerful than red. I was amazed how far and how well I can see mine. It eats batteries faster though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Get a Red Dot Vortex Strikefire or Burris FF. Much faster and easier to use than a laser. I have a Vortex on my cmmg dedicated .22 AR, a fast rig. You look through the sight at the target and simply put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. A laser on a pistol works much better. I have a set of crimson trace grips on my Colt New Agent as it only has a trough, no real sights.
Wood Gas Machine Engineering Military robot

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys never read previous posts. I have a Sig Romeo MSR green dot sight that works just fine. I like that I can use my Magpul open sights just looking through the turned off Sig. It has see-through flip up covers. Or use the Sig. Or click on the laser.

·
Registered
Rugers: Model 19122 pc 9 , American Competion
3,373 Posts
You guys never read previous posts. I have a Sig Romeo MSR green dot sight that works just fine. I like that I can use my Magpul open sights just looking through the turned off Sig. It has see-through flip up covers. Or use the Sig. Or click on the laser.
Well, on the other hand, some of us read too many of the posts :ROFLMAO: What you pointed out IS the main joy of the evil black rifle platform. The only limits it has is our skill level and imagination for application. It is the most flexible type of rifle I am familiar with.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly. Choice of three sights with no fumbling around. Is that your Romeo sight dot, or a laser dot? I like my green sight and red laser so I can know which is which....:)

Reactions: Redhawk100

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Exactly. Choice of three sights with no fumbling around. Is that your sight dot, or a laser dot? I like my green sight and red laser so I can know which is which....:)
That's my Sig Romeo 2 I got for $69.99 at PSA. It was a daily deal. After I got it, they had the ones with the green dot for $79.99, but I'd already spent my money.

I don't use lasers for long guns since the red dots pretty much do what a laser would do. The biggest value a laser provides is with NODs. Even with a PVS-14, I find it cumbersome to try and line it up behind a red dot when I'm wearing it on my helmet. But since I haven't touched a PVS-14 since I was in the Army, and I don’t have any near-term plans to buy one, a laser won't be in my inventory any time soon.

For handguns, though, lasers can offer a great alternative to those MRDs for night use. The LaserMax spring guide rod lasers give you a laser with absolutely no change to the external dimensions of your pistol. I got permission from my company commander to use one in my M-9 when I was a PL, and it was amazing when we did a night qualification.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Romeo 2 is a reflex sight. That photo looks like my Romeo MSR (?)

Camera accessory Gadget Musical instrument accessory Font Audio equipment
Product Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas Lens

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it is definitely the best dot sight for the money. Caught mine on sale for $80, list is $110. It is the same price in red or green. Most other brands, the green is higher than red. Compared to others, the only feature it's missing is shake awake that I don't need. The clear covers are a good thing most dots don't have.

Reactions: Redhawk100

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I think it is definitely the best dot sight for the money. Caught mine on sale for $80, list is $110. It is the same price in red or green. Most other brands, the green is higher than red. Compared to others, the only feature it's missing is shake awake that I don't need. The clear covers are a good thing most dots don't have.
Yeah, the red ones are running $79.99, right now, too. I got lucky finding the price I did. I'm on PSA's email list, so I catch all of their good deals as soon as they come out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts