Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm sitting here cleaning this sweet Model 18-3 after another fun range session and the more I shoot this gun the more I love it. This particular example has a wide target hammer spur and wide target trigger which I'm finding to be a real joy in both SA and DA operation. The balance is superb and the weight of the K frame and target stocks make for a very steady shooter.

The new indoor range I joined only goes to 10.5 yards so I shot today at 10 yards. I tried the advice I've read here about small targets can give you small groups so I took one of the big range targets and turned it around so I have a white piece of paper. I had some adhesive target circles that are 1" in diameter and I stuck 9 of those circles on the target back and ran it out 10 yards. I could say that I shot out the 1" circle in a big ragged hole from a 2-hand hold at 30 feet ..... but my pants would spontaneously burst into flames. But in all honesty I do think my groups are better with the tiny 1" target to focus on.

Big cheap fun - shot a bunch of CCI from my hoardpile through this and my 22/45 Lite. I'm still fiddling with the Burris Fastfire III on the Lite and at this point I shoot the 18-3 a lot better than the Lite. Just thought I'd share...

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I have a model 17 it is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Model 18 !!! You have one of my all-time favorite .22 revolvers. With target trigger, hammer, and likely, factory supplied target grips, you have one of the best.
It is a beautiful revolver.

That Knob Creek ain't exactly at the bottom of the list either !

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a model 17 it is one of my favorites.
Yes - big fan of the 17 here too! Have one from the late 1940s and one from 1955. Classics from a golden era.

Model 18 !!! You have one of my all-time favorite .22 revolvers. With target trigger, hammer, and likely, factory supplied target grips, you have one of the best.
It is a beautiful revolver.

That Knob Creek ain't exactly at the bottom of the list either !
Yep - T T T !! Found this gem in a pawn shop last year and snagged it for less than what a new SP101 22LR is selling for. To say I am pleased would be an understatement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 6" Mod 17 with adj target sights, wide target trigger and hammer, and wood target grips.....My absolute favorite

Well.....maybe it's Mod 19 twin brother is a close second!!!

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
S&W is rotating through making some of the old classics. For $980 MSRP you can get a new model 17. Maybe they will rotate the model 18 in.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,034 Posts
Waveform, Now you need a Mod 15 to marry up with your Mod 18 and a Mod 14 to marry up with your Mod 17.

I have the Mod 15 & 18 Combat Masterpiece set (4") and the Mod 17 & 14 Target Masterpiece set (6").

Mod 15 (38 Spec):

Mod 18 (22 LR):

Mod 14 (38 Spec):

Mod 17 22 LR):

These are all wonderful revolvers .... made in a time when hand crafted workmanship was at its peak.

Reactions: Waveform

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Waveform, Now you need a Mod 15 to marry up with your Mod 18 and a Mod 14 to marry up with your Mod 17.

I have the Mod 15 & 18 Combat Masterpiece set (4") and the Mod 17 & 14 Target Masterpiece set (6").

Mod 15 (38 Spec):

Mod 18 (22 LR):

Mod 14 (38 Spec):

Mod 17 22 LR):

These are all wonderful revolvers .... made in a time when hand crafted workmanship was at its peak.
Those are suuweeeet!!

I'm 75% of the way to my set. Here's my 15-2 to go with the Model 18:

I have the K-22 Masterpiece Pre-Model 17 but I'm lacking the appropriate Model 14.

I do love these old Smith & Wessons. I need to look harder for the right 6" Model 14 with target stocks so I can have the set!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Wave, that is one of the great classics in 22 LR revolvers. Would love to add one to our S&W collection, but not easy to find. In the meantime, we have two 17-4s that see a LOT of use, especially our 8 3/8" 17-4. It's my husband's favorite, though, surprisingly, our recently acquired Ruger Bisley Single Six is now in contention for that honor. He even shoots the Ruger as well as the 17-4. Never would have predicted that one, but that's what makes shooting so interesting, eh?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wave, that is one of the great classics in 22 LR revolvers. Would love to add one to our S&W collection, but not easy to find. In the meantime, we have two 17-4s that see a LOT of use, especially our 8 3/8" 17-4. It's my husband's favorite, though, surprisingly, our recently acquired Ruger Bisley Single Six is now in contention for that honor. He even shoots the Ruger as well as the 17-4. Never would have predicted that one, but that's what makes shooting so interesting, eh?

Those are beauties Ncg! I love my K-22s and I'm developing a fondness for longer barrels. I have a 27-2 with the 8 3/8" barrel that's a target shooting dream, I just traded into an 8 3/8" 629-4 and have the same length in a 460XVR plus I really like my 10 1/2" SBH. I would jump at a long Model 17 if I come across one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice! I picked up my 14-3 today! I'll give it a cleaning tomorrow and get it to the range. I'll see if I can post up a picture of my 17-4 with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts