Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my favorite LGS today and the owner showed me a S&W Model 27-2 .357, 6.5" barrel, blue finish that was in great shape - 90 - 95% at least. Bluing was deep, deep blue and looked incredible, original grips are in very good shape. Locks up tight, bore is perfect. This was someone's safe queen. But moreover the trigger was UNBELIEVABLE. By far the best trigger I've ever felt and the owner said the same thing. I have a couple of other Smiths and this one is in a whole different league. I was blown away by the trigger on this.

I'll get first crack at this. LGS wants $650 - decent price? Anybody else own one? Appoximately how old would a 27-2 be? The bluing looks like the bluing done back in the 60s or 70s - much better than the bluing I see today.

Any thoughts or input appreciated!

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
I was in my favorite LGS today and the owner showed me a S&W Model 27-2 .357, 6.5" barrel, blue finish that was in great shape - 90 - 95% at least. Bluing was deep, deep blue and looked incredible, original grips are in very good shape. Locks up tight, bore is perfect. This was someone's safe queen. But moreover the trigger was UNBELIEVABLE. By far the best trigger I've ever felt and the owner said the same thing. I have a couple of other Smiths and this one is in a whole different league. I was blown away by the trigger on this.

I'll get first crack at this. LGS wants $650 - decent price? Anybody else own one? Appoximately how old would a 27-2 be? The bluing looks like the bluing done back in the 60s or 70s - much better than the bluing I see today.

Any thoughts or input appreciated!
The model 27-2 tells me it has a pinned barell and counterbored cylinders, you are loking at the cadilac of 357'S . That model is built on the N frame which at that time it was the big frame for Smiths it is the same one the 44 mag is using.The extra weight really tames even a hot 357 mag .For $650 if it has the presentation case and tools buy it, if there is no box ,paperwork or tools maybe try to negotiate a little but it is still not a bad price for a great gun. Good luck
Terry

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got one, bought it used in the mid 1970's so no factory, felt lined wooden display box. Mine's blued steel and a 6" barrel and very minty, probably made 1971-1973. It's a fine revolver that I will shoot from time to time but have never hunted with or carried in a holster. The deep S&W blue and excellent finish carred through until the early 1980's. The price you've mentioned sounds fair to me but in the end its up to you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think thats a fair price for sure in that condition. I bought the highly sought after 3.5 inch variant a few moths ago for $450.00 out the door which was an absolute fluke, and a steal at that price. Mine though is a shooter, and was worth every penny. I wouldn't give it up for all the tea in china. I still can't believe I found one and got it for that price. It weren't mint like the one your looking at but darn close. I say snap that one up in that condition and price! Good Luck

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The model 27-2 tells me it has a pinned barell and counterbored cylinders, you are loking at the cadilac of 357'S . That model is built on the N frame which at that time it was the big frame for Smiths it is the same one the 44 mag is using.The extra weight really tames even a hot 357 mag .For $650 if it has the presentation case and tools buy it, if there is no box ,paperwork or tools maybe try to negotiate a little but it is still not a bad price for a great gun. Good luck
Terry
Thanks for the insights and comments from everyone.

What would the "tools" that you mentioned be? The LGS didn't say anything about a box or papers so I'm guessing there aren't any.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Smith and Wesson Standard Catalog that I have says the 27- were first built in 1961. From 1961 S&W built the 27-2 up until 1980. But during all these years S&W made some changes on this model. As for the condition you mentioned on the 27-2 you are looking at, the price is good. But like was said by another member, having the box and tools and the paperwork always helps with value. The tools that came with these guns consisted of a small screwdriver, bore brush and a bore mop. The screwdriver was for setting the adjustable sights with. I have always liked this model, I have a couple myself. I will say this, the prices on all the older Smith's continue to go up. This to me is because alot of folks don't like the new guns with the internal lock, and they just don't build the revolvers like they use to. Hope this helps some....Another thing, to know the true build date, you will have to know the first 3 or 4 numbers in the serial. Hope this helps....Ray

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Thanks for the insights and comments from everyone.

What would the "tools" that you mentioned be? The LGS didn't say anything about a box or papers so I'm guessing there aren't any.
The early Smiths came with a screwdriver and cleaning kit and some models came with a mohangany presentation case or just the cardboard box

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Smith and Wesson Standard Catalog that I have says the 27- were first built in 1961. From 1961 S&W built the 27-2 up until 1980. But during all these years S&W made some changes on this model. As for the condition you mentioned on the 27-2 you are looking at, the price is good. But like was said by another member, having the box and tools and the paperwork always helps with value. The tools that came with these guns consisted of a small screwdriver, bore brush and a bore mop. The screwdriver was for setting the adjustable sights with. I have always liked this model, I have a couple myself. I will say this, the prices on all the older Smith's continue to go up. This to me is because alot of folks don't like the new guns with the internal lock, and they just don't build the revolvers like they use to. Hope this helps some....Another thing, to know the true build date, you will have to know the first 3 or 4 numbers in the serial. Hope this helps....Ray
Thanks for the info Bigman. And also Southerngunner. You guys know the S&W better than I do. I said the condition was 90 - 95% but I'm no expert. The bluing looked perfect to me. I held it under good light with magnification and couldn't find any scratches, dings or other handling marks except the dragline on the cylinder. The grips showed some light wear, particularly the little medallion on the right side where a right-handed shooter's palm would contact it and caused some discoloration. The finish on the grips was in great shape and looked orginal. There was a slight gap in the grip fit where the panels met the frame on the bottom but you have to be looking at it with a very critical eye to notice. I probably studied it in my hands for 15 minutes.

And the trigger was exquisite! I've never felt anything like it.

Can you look up S&W serial numbers on line and get manufacture dates similar to Ruger's website? I regret I didn't jot down the serial number at the store. I guess I was pretty smitten. I was probably drooling and didn't notice....

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Thanks for the info Bigman. And also Southerngunner. You guys know the S&W better than I do. I said the condition was 90 - 95% but I'm no expert. The bluing looked perfect to me. I held it under good light with magnification and couldn't find any scratches, dings or other handling marks except the dragline on the cylinder. The grips showed some light wear, particularly the little medallion on the right side where a right-handed shooter's palm would contact it and caused some discoloration. The finish on the grips was in great shape and looked orginal. There was a slight gap in the grip fit where the panels met the frame on the bottom but you have to be looking at it with a very critical eye to notice. I probably studied it in my hands for 15 minutes.

And the trigger was exquisite! I've never felt anything like it.

Can you look up S&W serial numbers on line and get manufacture dates similar to Ruger's website? I regret I didn't jot down the serial number at the store. I guess I was pretty smitten. I was probably drooling and didn't notice....
I hope this isn't taboo to mention another gun forum but you might try this
Smith & Wesson Forum ask around there they are also a great bunch of helpful folks that can tell you the build date on the gun in question as wel as general values

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
The smith 27/627 etc is a very fine revolver and I have one of the 8 shot ones it is a great gun and would have sold like hotcakes if made in police revolver days.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope this isn't taboo to mention another gun forum but you might try this
Smith & Wesson Forum ask around there they are also a great bunch of helpful folks that can tell you the build date on the gun in question as wel as general values
Thanks for the tip. I don't think it's bad form to mention another site if it's not another Ruger site.

Do you think the older S&W generally have a better trigger than the newer S&W? I have two Smiths, an N frame 629 and an X frame 460XVR and both are less than 5 years old. The trigger on this older 27-2 was much better. Maybe it was a custom job? I haven't sampled nearly enough to know.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Another consideration, the 6 1/2" barrel is a rarity. They standardized on 6" a while back. Sounds like a very nice piece, and probably worth the $650.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another consideration, the 6 1/2" barrel is a rarity. They standardized on 6" a while back. Sounds like a very nice piece, and probably worth the $650.
That's interesting....next time I'll check it with a ruler to be sure.

Say, these older Smiths that are in great shape - are they considered too "collectable" to shoot? I don't want to get started in that game - I like to shoot my guns!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Honestly, I think it's your call. Sure it could be a collector's piece, but if you buy it and want to shoot it, why no do so? Maybe use .44 specials (as even more of an homage to Callahan) to lessen possible damage if it migh worry you?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, I think it's your call. Sure it could be a collector's piece, but if you buy it and want to shoot it, why no do so? Maybe use .44 specials (as even more of an homage to Callahan) to lessen possible damage if it migh worry you?
In this case .38 specials instead of .357 but I get your drift - lighter ammo = less wear and tear.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I don't think it's bad form to mention another site if it's not another Ruger site.

Do you think the older S&W generally have a better trigger than the newer S&W? I have two Smiths, an N frame 629 and an X frame 460XVR and both are less than 5 years old. The trigger on this older 27-2 was much better. Maybe it was a custom job? I haven't sampled nearly enough to know.
I have 9 early smiths in different calibers and 4 newer versions although none has the hammer lock or M.I.M. parts It is my personal experience that the older guns had much better fit up and actions. I prefer to buy the ones with the pinned barell and counterbored cylinders when possible. That gun would serve you well for the rest of your days even if it is your only 357.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,089 Posts
Waveform, I've bought and sold a lot of guns in my life but the one gun that gave me the most seller's remorse was my Mod 27-2. I had it for 15 years then sold it for way more than double what I paid for it (greed). What a mistake! In my area, you can't touch a 27-2 in minty condition for less than $800 and I've seen them sell for $1000 with the box and factory accessories. There were 7 dash numbers for the Mod 27 and the -2 was the best of the best. Each engineering change (dash number) after the -2 was not an improvement, rather a manufacturing cost reduction. The most common barrel length is 6" but they were also made in 3.5, 4, 5, 6.5" and 8 3/8". Some were also nickel plated.

As mentioned above, the 27 was the Cadillac of S&W's product line. It actually started out as a "357 Registered Magnum", then went to a "357 Magnum" (non-registered) long before model numbers were assigned. It was the only model to have a knurled top strap and the exceptional deep bluing. S&W also made a Mod 28 (Highway Patrolman) ... mechanically identical but with the standard finish, no top strap knurling, and a standard trigger.

Because the Mod 27 was built on a 44 N-frame, there is one issue you need to be aware of. The cylinder is very massive ... which is great for brute strength but it is also the Mod 27 & 28s Achilles heel. If you pull the trigger too fast in DA or cock the hammer too fast in SA, the massive cylinder slams into the cylinder latch hard and peens the lock notches plus causes other internal damage. So ... be gentle and don't try to set any speed records or the cylinder will jump time and not latch. With some TLC, these 27s will last a couple lifetimes.

I doubt if the trigger has been altered because these guns came right out of the box with a hand tuned action. You can almost "think" the trigger off in SA and DA is smooth as butter. The Mod 27 was intended to be a target gun and as such, I doubt you will find a more accurate 357 Mag revolver anywhere.

You're lucky I don't live in Florida because for $650, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I had a 27-2 up until earlier this year with an 8 & 3/8in barrel. I felt like the Joker from the movie Batman when he pulls the revolver out of his pants to shoot down the Batplane. Never liked that 8" barrel.

Very nice gun, no way it's as strong as a GP, way smoother than a GP. Simply beautiful to look at. I always wanted to have one. My brother in law uses one as his 'truck gun' :confused:

But safe queens are safe queens and out it went. I've seen them for $650+ in a LGS that were in vg but not LNIB shape.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Waveform, I've bought and sold a lot of guns in my life but the one gun that gave me the most seller's remorse was my Mod 27-2. I had it for 15 years then sold it for way more than double what I paid for it (greed). What a mistake! In my area, you can't touch a 27-2 in minty condition for less than $800 and I've seen them sell for $1000 with the box and factory accessories. There were 7 dash numbers for the Mod 27 and the -2 was the best of the best. Each engineering change (dash number) after the -2 was not an improvement, rather a manufacturing cost reduction. The most common barrel length is 6" but they were also made in 3.5, 4, 5, 6.5" and 8 3/8". Some were also nickel plated.

As mentioned above, the 27 was the Cadillac of S&W's product line. It actually started out as a "357 Registered Magnum", then went to a "357 Magnum" (non-registered) long before model numbers were assigned. It was the only model to have a knurled top strap and the exceptional deep bluing. S&W also made a Mod 28 (Highway Patrolman) ... mechanically identical but with the standard finish, no top strap knurling, and a standard trigger.

Because the Mod 27 was built on a 44 N-frame, there is one issue you need to be aware of. The cylinder is very massive ... which is great for brute strength but it is also the Mod 27 & 28s Achilles heel. If you pull the trigger too fast in DA or cock the hammer too fast in SA, the massive cylinder slams into the cylinder latch hard and peens the lock notches plus causes other internal damage. So ... be gentle and don't try to set any speed records or the cylinder will jump time and not latch. With some TLC, these 27s will last a couple lifetimes.

I doubt if the trigger has been altered because these guns came right out of the box with a hand tuned action. You can almost "think" the trigger off in SA and DA is smooth as butter. The Mod 27 was intended to be a target gun and as such, I doubt you will find a more accurate 357 Mag revolver anywhere.

You're lucky I don't live in Florida because for $650, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.
Iowegan, Thank you for the great background info and perspective on this. If I hadn't already made up my mind to buy it I would have now. High praise indeed and I guess I'm glad you don't live in Florida!

Thanks to other things you have written I have given up dry firing/rapid firing on all my revolvers. I shoot more .38 specials in my .357s too and generally let my revolvers lead happy, healthy lives. But they do get range time - no safe queens allowed. That's why when I started to sense this was a somewhat collectable gun I began to wonder if I was getting into "guns too valuable to shoot" territory, which is not for me. Sounds like I'm OK and could enjoy some quality range time with this one.

Thanks again for sharing your insight and knowledge.

Wave

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a 27-2 up until earlier this year with an 8 & 3/8in barrel. I felt like the Joker from the movie Batman when he pulls the revolver out of his pants to shoot down the Batplane. Never liked that 8" barrel.

Very nice gun, no way it's as strong as a GP, way smoother than a GP. Simply beautiful to look at. I always wanted to have one. My brother in law uses one as his 'truck gun' :confused:

But safe queens are safe queens and out it went. I've seen them for $650+ in a LGS that were in vg but not LNIB shape.
Yeah, generally speaking my interest in a revolver stops around 6". My 460XVR has an 8" barrel BUT it's proportional to the almost cartoonish size of the gun.

I have several GPs and I like them very much. The GP is like a Humvee wheras this 27-2 is like a Porsche Cayenne. Capable but way too sexy to be somebody's "truck gun"! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts