Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 4506 from a pawn shop. Price was $378 out the door. No box or paperwork and just one factory mag. In very good condition overall. This one has German proof marks on it and the name Wischo stamped on frame in tiny lettering. I researched it and it was apparently exported to Germany through Wischo, which is the S & W importer for the German market. I suspect it was purchased at a US military base (PX or rod and gun club), and then brought back to the US. Serial number TDC 55XX puts it around 1990 production from what I have been able to gather from a couple of S & W info sites. I have a P90 ,P345, and a couple of Rock Island 1911's in 45 ACP but this is my first S & W 45 ACP pistol. Just wondering if anyone on here owns one and what kind of experience they have had as far as shooting it.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,654 Posts
I think you got a great deal on that S&W! My best friend and shooting partner has one that brings out from time to time. I always enjoy shooting the big stainless pistol. It is accurate, reliable, and soft shooting. Enjoy your new handgun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I plan to shoot it tomorrow. I'm finding that the S & W factory mags are available on the used market, but pricey. I see that ProMag makes a mag for it in the $20 price range.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
While I do not have a 4506, I am a big fan of S&W 3rd generation pistols, and actually like their DAO's best.

I believe you will enjoy yours and have many years of good service with t.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's on my wish list, but nice ones go for $600 or over in my neighborhood.
Great find! Should be a gentle shooter.
BTW, a little Flitz or even Mothers Mag Polish will make her shine like new. New grips are $20. Warning, other men will be staring at her :)

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
I have a 4506 (and a 4566). Both of them are among the most accurate 45ACP handguns I've ever shot. The 4506 in particular is a tack driver. Congrats on a great purchase!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Had the earlier model 645 once upon a time and don't recall any problems but I drank the koolaid and traded it for a 1911 Kimber (back when they were series 70 designs) and haven't really missed the 645. I do still have a 457 (compact S&W 45) which hasn't been out for a while.
You did well on the price!

Bruce

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I have a 4506 and a 1006 (10mm auto) - they’re both great pistols and so massively over-built they should be Rugers. Grab some extra S&W mags when you can find them (at a reasonable price).

Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
My one and only nitpick with S&W Gen 3 guns is the magazine disconnect safety. I'm not a fan. Never have been. With the exception of S&W Gen 3's I won't own any other gun that has one. The problem is the Gen 3's are such good pistols I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater so I tolerate it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have the S&W 1006 which is the same size as the 4506, but in 10mm. Love it.

Hogue makes some beautiful grips for them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a S & W 5906 that I bought about 1995 and it was a police/law enforcement pistol that did not have the magazine safety. The side of the gun was stamped "Capable of firing with magazine removed" or something there about. I purchased it as being a slightly used police demo pistol according to the gun counter clerk where I bought it. This place of purchase was primarily law enforcement sales but they also sold to the public. Sadly I traded it several years ago. I had a Marlin 9mm Camp carbine at the time (since traded) and the 5906 mags fit the Marlin perfectly.

·
Pony Soldier
8,483 Posts
I own a 5906 that I have had for many years, it was owned by a police officer who was "upgrading" to a Glock. I was told it had trigger work done at Cylinder & Slide in Fremont NE. It has a light smooth trigger with great reset.
My Son has a 1006 which is worth a lot more than the 9mm, and I would suspect your 4506 is more in line with the 10mm value. So I think you got a good buy!
I have not had good luck with Pro-Mags, I would stick with S&W or Mecgar mags.
Show us a pic or 2.

Greg

·
Registered
156 Posts
You post made go and dig out my old 645 its mint with many mags,and a nice Safariland shoulder rig I bought years back , also have some older Fed Hydro Shock 50 rd boxes of ammo ready to go . The dam thing is to nice to shoot and they keep going up in value .

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Just bought a 4506 from a pawn shop. Price was $378 out the door. No box or paperwork and just one factory mag. In very good condition overall. This one has German proof marks on it and the name Wischo stamped on frame in tiny lettering. I researched it and it was apparently exported to Germany through Wischo, which is the S & W importer for the German market. I suspect it was purchased at a US military base (PX or rod and gun club), and then brought back to the US. Serial number TDC 55XX puts it around 1990 production from what I have been able to gather from a couple of S & W info sites. I have a P90 ,P345, and a couple of Rock Island 1911's in 45 ACP but this is my first S & W 45 ACP pistol. Just wondering if anyone on here owns one and what kind of experience they have had as far as shooting it.
I've had two (2) S&W 4516's...loved 'em both! Great shooters...but just a tad heavy for EDC!

While I do not have a 4506, I am a big fan of S&W 3rd generation pistols, and actually like their DAO's best. I believe you will enjoy yours and have many years of good service with t.
I had a 4553 DAO (same as a 4516, but in DAO) and of the 3 S&W .45 'Officer' sized pistols I had, I wish I had the 4553 the most...it had a very smooth, and not too heavy, DAO trigger!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel the 4506 is a great firearm to have in the arsenal. You got yours at a great price.
The disconnector that does not allow the 3rd generation Smiths to fire if the magazine is not in, can be removed to allow it to be able to fire without the magazine, however, I have left all of my 3rd generation's in place.
5906, 4006, 4506.

WR

·
Registered
16 Posts
4506 was my buddy's duty weapon as a Chicago cop back in the late 80s early 90s. Just hearing that model number brought back fun times in my 20s.

Damn good find

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one, It's a real piece of history now in this new plastic world. Big & Robust, Built entirely of Stainless Steel.
Utterly and totally Reliable, It would feed rocks if you could fit them in the magazine,,,,, You did well,It will outlast your grand kids

1 - 18 of 18 Posts