Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have one of these and if so, how do you like it? I love the idea of 7 rounds of .357. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've only owned two revolvers - a Taurus 627 7 shot 357 with a 4" ported barrel, and a 686 plus 6."

Loved them both, they both shot very well. I used the 686 to hunt with (had a scope on it) and the Taurus was more a backpack "just in case" gun.

Never had an issue with either. I could easily see the price difference between the two, as the Taurus was a tad rough and tough when it was new, but I broke it in properly alternating between .38s and 357 rounds and it was fine.

I wish I had kept the Taurus for hiking - I loved the grip on it. I sold off the 686 for a 629 (44 Mag).

I've been trying to find an SP101 with the 4" barrel with fiber optic sight, but it's been slow going.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got a 3" 686+. Fine gun, although I don't know if the 7th round makes much of a difference. It is the gun that sits next to my bed & my normal CCW gun - but my concealed carry usually isn't for more than a few hours at a time. 686 or GP100 probably boils down to how one weighs price & the feel of the gun in your hand. My Ruger Alaskan actually has just as good a trigger as my 686+.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although you will get a number of answers on this forum, you may want to ask on the Smith-Wesson forum. Probably a lot more detailed answers. I just picked up my first 686 by the way. It is a 686+ 6" talo edition. My wife even has had a blast w/ it. She want's me to look for a 3" vs now. When will it ever end w/ that woman?:cool:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have a Taurus 7 shot .357 6" barrel. Absolutly love it!!!!!! Accurate as heck and fun to shoot and fun to reload for.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have the 4" 686 Plus. I really like mine. I dont think you can go wrong with buying one. Seems like a very well made gun, and has a great trigger out of the box in Single Action. At 25 yards it was zeroed in perfectly. I would recommend it. The top gun is a 10 shot 4" 617. They are a matched set. It looks smaller in the photo, but it is an illusion(it actually is a slightly smaller frame size)Its simply the nicest .22 revolver I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have the 686+, 4". It is my favorite gun. It will be the last to go if it ever goes. I shoot the the tightest groups with this gun. I think it is also very easy to look at if you know what I mean. The only problem with this gun is it doesn't get out near as much as I would like to take it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody have one of these and if so, how do you like it? I love the idea of 7 rounds of .357. Thanks in advance for your input.
Yes, I have the S&W 686 and really love it! I have several revolvers and semi's but that is my favorite gun to take to the range. A very simple gun but extremely accurate. I'm not an expert but I surprised myself at how well I could shoot with that gun. Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have one (talo edition) and I love it. It is my favorite revolver. Its a bit lighter than the ruger sp or gp models trigger is much much nicer. The lightness is not weaker it is just do to the fact the smith revolvers are machined and rugers are cast, nothing wrong with either method.

Beware quality control on smiths have gone down in the past few years that is what introduced me to the wonderful world of rugers. The biggest thing to look for is canted barrels make sure it doesn't look over rotated. When I bought mine the grips where messed up, e-mailed them pics and they sent me some free grips.

Sorry for crappy cell phone pic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 686 SSR with a 4" barrel & CT laser grips. Problem is that it's just too heavy for CC & I live in suburbia so I can't walk out the back door 7 fire off a few rounds just for grins :D, anyway, it's a well balanced gun & very accurate, well worth the money.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the 4" 686 Plus. I really like mine. I dont think you can go wrong with buying one. Seems like a very well made gun, and has a great trigger out of the box in Single Action. At 25 yards it was zeroed in perfectly. I would recommend it. The top gun is a 10 shot 4" 617. They are a matched set. It looks smaller in the photo, but it is an illusion(it actually is a slightly smaller frame size)Its simply the nicest .22 revolver I have ever owned.

Those are some real nice guns. I am a pretty die hard ruger guy and own several sp101's and a GP, but I have seriously thought of buying those same two revolvers.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
My girlfriend has the 4" 686 with 6 shots and its amazing. It's a gun you could take to hell and back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts