Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 642 today and picked up a couple boxes of Magtech and headed for the Ranch. After putting it through its paces this is my opinion. Accuracy good enough for CCW. Could hit a man easily 15 yards just by pointing it. I'm used to bouncing pop cans at 15 yards with my P90 and I can't do it with it. Recoil is manageable, but the felt recoil is greater than my P90. I am ordering the Pachmayr Decelerator grips that cover the back strap for a softer pad. Checked the fit and finish out on the gun and it is well made and no flaws. It would suffice as a primary CCW for dress on occasion but it wouldn't take the place of my P90 or P97. I'll use it as a secondary carry in my pocket or coat, and for Dress when I have to wear clothes that can't hide the P90. I'm pleased with the gun and performance, and for the size and weight, I think it's as good as there is, but its like all the small guns, you just can't compare them to the full size guns. Guess that is why I go to the extra effort to carry the P90 or P97.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
she sounds like a keeper. Have you decided on a defense load yet?

By the way, cdnn is offering several choices and good prices in smith "j" frame grips. wood finger groove for 10 bucks, wood over-size for 10 bucks, etc, etc. all advertised as new.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll carry Remington 158gr +p lead hollow points in it. I use the Golden Saber 230gr. jacketed hollow points in my .45 and like them. I like the heavy bullets with lots of expansion. I think the better grips will make a difference in the shooting accuracy. Trigger pull will take some getting used to.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second report on my 642. Went out again today and Wife shot it about like I did. Son was there and let him shoot it. At 25yds his first shot was about 6" high and he said I'm going to have to sight a little finer. The rest of his shots was less than 3" from the center with most in the center. Shows what youth will do. I can tell from that it an excellent shooting gun and Granny and I are just going to have to practice. [:I]

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
<center>
</center>

I have seen the 646, 686, 640 and would like to see what your 642 looks like, please.

·
Registered
373 Posts
my wife picked the 642 with the CT grips for her CCW. We haven't had much of a chance to put it through the ringer, due to the weather and time, but she has managed to put 100 rounds through it. I feel sorry for anybody that she puts the "red dot of death" on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
KP97DC,... Thanks...<:))

Just a little reminder for next time...<:))
<center>
</center>

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another report on the 642. Put a set of Round Butt Pachmayr Decelerator Grips on it and took it back to the Ranch this morning and tried it again. My Wife, Son, and I all agreed the different grips made a tremendous difference. Even my 9yr old Grandson loved it and shot it very well. I could accept it as a Primary Carry now if I couldn't carry my 90 or 97. The larger and longer grip makes it a little harder to conceal, but it is worth every bit of the extra effort in additional accuracy in shooting it. I am very pleased with it now. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have the Bodyguard with Compac Grips, not the Compac Professional, which are shorter, and I love the grip...I don't do finger grooves so the Decelerators wouldn't work for me, but I shoot +P ammo in it and enjoy the practice...good grips make all the difference in the world!!! Glad you have a backup now...when ya gonna decorate it?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts