Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i have been offered a reasonable condition S&W model 18-4 .22lr revolver with a 4" barrel ...Has any one got an opinion? cheers KIWI.

· Registered
864 Posts
Hey all i have been offered a reasonable condition S&W model 18-4 .22lr revolver with a 4" barrel ...Has any one got an opinion? cheers KIWI.
IMHO, THE best da/sa 22lr revolver made.
I love these revolvers.
They have a VERY long history in S&W.

As well, the fav of my family to shoot.

They bypass any other 22, and go right for the S&W K22 combat master pieces wheel guns.

I have two , one in 4" and one in 6" . Mine are models K17's, but it's just a follow on model number change between the 17 and 18.

They are build on the K target combat masterpiece frame.
Same as the K19 357 mag combat master piece.

GREAT GREAT GREAT triggers right out of the box.

Accurate as all heck, takes any 22 ammo... 22 shorts, 22 shot, 22CB's and so one.

A good to fair price in great condition is 500 bux.
In minty , up around 700bux.

I missed a great deal mint in box, a guy wanted $500, was short on cash had to pass it up.

As much as I love my Rugers, these 22lr S&W's are rugged ( a 22lr in a K frame will last forever) and are much more refined out of the box than the Rugers.

So , as long as it's not been abused, and taken care of like any other firearm should be, should be a good shooter.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Kiwihunter
Those are fantastic revolvers!
I'd suggest that if it's a reasonable price, the gun is in nice shape, & you want it, buy it. I don't think you will be dissapointed.
Frank

· Banned
2,787 Posts
Send me Pics when you get it home:D:D

· Registered
10,153 Posts
You will not find a better .22 pistol I have a S&W Model 17 its the smoothest & nicest pistol I have ever had the Model 18 is the same just a 4 inch barrel. But be prepared to dig deep into your pocket becaause these guns hold their value very well & are no longer made. I would expect to see one pay easy $700.00 & up!

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres some pics its priced at $450.00 NZ which amounts to $365.62 US ...its got a little blue missing around the muzzle and i would like to put some wooden grips on it, but it looks like its been well cared for the tube is mint as is the cyl ,triggers great and the action is silky smooth.....i think my little Taurus 94 is about to be superseded

· Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,734 Posts
Kiwi, You're going to love that Mod 18 ... best 22 LR 4" revolver ever made. I owned an 18-4 for many years and put a ton of ammo through it. About 5 years ago I had a brain fart and sold it for a handsome profit (more than doubled my money). After having seller's remorse for about a year, I found a "like new in box" 18-3 at a gun show and scurfed it up for $400. It now resides in special case with it's sisters .... a Mod 15 4" 38 Special, a Mod 17 6" 22 LR and a Mod 14 6" 38 Special.

Just a little clarification ... the Mod 18 is a 22 LR clone of the 38 Special Mod 15 Combat Masterpiece. A Mod 17 Masterpiece is basically the same gun only it has a patridge front sight like the Mod 14 Masterpiece. 15s and 18s have a "Baughman quick draw" front sight.

Back when revolvers were king of the hill, Mod 18 Combat Masterpieces were very popular as practice guns for 4" S&W K-frame 38s. Mod 17s were designed specifically for bullseye competition, as were Mod 14s in 38 Special.

In my area, Mod 18s are scarce as hen's teeth and have really increased in price these last few years. I have refused offers of $550 for my 18-3. Even if I were offered much more, I doubt if I would sell it ... just because I'll probably never find another one in new condition plus I really enjoy using it to put many small holes very close together. S&W really got it right on these revolvers ... they last forever and shoot very nice groups ... plus I'm very partial to K-frames. My Mod 18-3 has very tight chambers ... a little too tight for rapid reload drills with speed loaders ... but if it is like my 18-4, it will loosen up a little with use.

You're in luck with the grips ... Mod 18s take the same grips as any S&W K or L frame. My Mod 18 has the factory "diamond" Gonco Alves grips but I have several other grips that I like better for shooting and it only takes a few seconds to change them.

If you like your Mod 18 half as much as I like mine, you will thoroughly enjoy it and never think of selling it. Good luck mate.

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gentlemen thanks for your input and insights,.Iowegan the benefit of your vast knowledge is as always appreciated...i think this will definitely be a keeper and i have just tracked down some wooden grips for her as well ....hopefully i will be able to pick them up next week.
Iowegan would you have access to the Smith&Wesson serial number book to match for the year of manufacture it isn't available on the net and i don't know of anyone that has it here in NZ.....CHEERS GUYS KIWI

· Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,734 Posts
Kiwi, The only serial number source I know of is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson
by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. I used to have a copy when I was an avid S&W collector but have since sold it. I can tell you a few things ... the -4 was introduced in late 1977 and was the last engineering change (dash number) before they were discontinued in 1985. S&W reintroduced the Mod 18 in their Classic Series in 2009 but I doubt you have that model. So .... it's somewhere between 27 and 35 years old. My 18-3 was a late production model made in 1977 with a S/N of 15K7XXX. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kiwi, The only serial number source I know of is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson
by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. I used to have a copy when I was an avid S&W collector but have since sold it. I can tell you a few things ... the -4 was introduced in late 1977 and was the last engineering change (dash number) before they were discontinued in 1985. S&W reintroduced the Mod 18 in their Classic Series in 2009 but I doubt you have that model. So .... it's somewhere between 27 and 35 years old. My 18-3 was a late production model made in 1977 with a S/N of 15K7XXX. Sorry, wish I could be more help.
Thanks for that mate i appreciate the info helpful as always,i have a set of wooden grips coming for it and i just need to touch a little spot of thin bluing around the muzzle and its good to go....will post a photo when i put them on.
cheers Iowegan
KIWI

· Registered
1,130 Posts
Talk about a score! Enjoy it in good health Kiwi!

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
All dressed up with the new grips....they are quite long and the jury is still out on whether or not they will be a permanent fixture or an ammo swap....the pacmyers are definitely more comfortable....but wood does look good.

· Banned
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Nice !!!! yea, I don't thing I would like those grips either.
They aren't stock.
On Ebay, you can find stock grips for 30 bux or so.
Your right NYRuger they were just to long ...i would dearly like some cobola stock grips with the S&W logo on them ....i did see some on eBay but they only ship within the USA.

· Registered
864 Posts
Your right NYRuger they were just to long ...i would dearly like some cobola stock grips with the S&W logo on them ....i did see some on eBay but they only ship within the USA.
Have you tried S&W directly ?
Might pay more than ebay, but maybe they ship Internationally?

When I had S&W do a rebuild and resto on my 19 combat master piece, I had found a pair just what your looking for from Ebay, I believe they are S&W OEM grips..

They don't look as nice, but I really like the Pachymer grips on the K frames..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.