Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So: I’ve wanted a s&w m41 for years, and I’m finally feeling ready to take the leap and buy one. However, now I’m debating over whether to purchase a NIB m41 off gunbroker, or to purchase a vintage, late 70’s m41 in excellent condition from a user on my local gun forum. The two guns I’m looking at would cost almost exactly the same price.
From what I’ve been told, the older m41’s have somewhat nicer “fit and finish”, but ultimately, the newer guns shoot just as well. Plus, the newer guns come with a warranty and all that good stuff. I’m a shooter more than a collector; however, I’ve had bad experiences with the quantity control of newer s&w’s, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Covid and the massive uptic in gun purchases has made those problems even worse.
Anyway, any and all advice is welcome!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would suggest having a look at the smith and wesson forum. That question has been asked a number of times and has many interesting answers.http://smith-wessonforum.com/

I have a 1982 vintage,bought it new. I took it to the range after 20 years and took the target back to 25 yards and free hand fired a couple of boxes.
You have to keep them very clean and they will serve you well.
DSC01147.JPG
they will

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I second the suggestion to refer to Smith & Wesson forum.com, but I will go ahead and give my opinion here. Personally I would go with the older used model 41. I know that a new one comes with Smith & Wesson warranty, but dealing with them to get a faulty one corrected can be exasperating. I would prefer to handle one before I bought it, and in the case of my lightly used 2007 model I was even able to shoot it first before I bought it. A model 41 that runs right is a delight to own while one that doesn't run right can make you pull your hair out, and I don't have any hair to spare. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys!
I went ahead and reposted this question on the s&w forum:

I’m definitely leaning towards the vintage m41 at this point...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts