Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have but one S&W revolver with "The Lock". A 4" 686 that my wife and kids gave me as a surprise Father's Day gift a few years ago. I would never sell it, as it was a wonderful gift from my loved ones.

So one day, when I was doing a thorough cleaning and inspection of the inside lockworks on my new 686, I mistakenly surmised that the stud on the inside of the warning flag (the one that engages the slot in the hammer and locks the gun) was a machining burr and accidentally removed it with a Dremel tool. Dang it! ;)

Then, for reasons unknown to me still, I just kept the lock flag out of the gun altogether! I don't know what I was thinking... [}:)] maybe I planned to order another "correct" one from S&W but I've just never gotten around to doing it.

Hey!!!! I have another story about a S&W I bought with "The Lock".

Come to think of it, I once owned another S&W revolver with "The Lock". I bought it brand spankin' new a couple years ago. It was one of the much-heralded limited production Thunder Ranch Revolver Model 22-4, in .45 ACP. A blued N-Frame with four screws, square butt, gorgeous grips, a full-moon-clipped .45ACP with fixed sights! [:p] Yikes!!!!

In spite of the presence of "The Lock" I had a real hard-on for owning one.

In fact, the serial number of my Thunder Ranch Revolver Model 22 was

I paid extra to search out and find that unique s/n and paid a premium, as there was only supposed to be 500 of that gun ever made. I found it at Ellett Bros in South Carolina and they charged me quite a bit extra for them to "hand select" it. Picture this: the young man on the other end of the phone standing there looking at the five they had just gotten in. "Let's see... Serial Number 17... 59... 104... 22...and....".

"WAIT A MINUTE!!! Did you just say Number 22??? Of a Model 22? THAT'S THE ONE I WANT!"

"Yes, Sir. But that'll be $35 extra for Hand Select</u>." :(

I called my FLD and had them arrange to get it for me.

But... "The Lock" nagged at me all the time. And the revolver had other "issues", one quite serious and several others less so. I could have had the main concerns fixed with a trip back to S&W but never did.

In the end I sold it one year later for far less than I paid for it. I was never happy with the gun, it shot lousy (the rifling was so shallow it barely etched Speer Gold Dot 230-gr bullets)

And for a reloader like myself not to be able to shoot cast bullets made me, well, just want to use the gun on myself. [xx(]

Anyway..... what should have been a truly simple and elegant gun was complicated with an unnecessary lock. After the first 500 were sold, there was another longer production run, and then a third. Add in the other disappointments (I haven't even mentioned the BIGGEST one of them all) and I just said "screw it", took a $250 beating, and got rid of what should have been a real pride and joy to own.

So my 4" Highway Patrolman, my no-dash no-lock 442, my neutered-lock 686, and a 3" 65 represent the S&W lineup at my house.

I don't see a S&W with "The Lock" anywhere in my future.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Great pictures. I liked the idea of those guns, but I just can not bring myself to own one with that gaping hole in the side. I have always said I would not own any gun with an internal lock, but I do own the .357 Flattop 50th Anniversary gun. But, at least Ruger HID the dang thing where you can't see it. And honest to God, that gun is one of the slickest Rugers I have ever owned. The fit and finish are outstanding, and the trigger pull is the best out of the box Ruger trigger I have ever experienced. But I digress.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I took those pics with the $250 Kodak we owned at the time. Last summer we bought a DLSR and some lenses, so I'm trying to do a better job with my photographs.

Hey, you just made your 1500th post!!!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Nice pics and a good story. I don't see the need for a lock on a gun so guess I will pass until the time comes you have no choice. Hope that doesn't happen until after I'm long gone.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for sharing pics (drool, drool) and story...have a M65 3"...I bobbed my hammer...I'd trade it for a Speed-Six 2 3/4" SS in a flash-I read where they're in high demand and short supply but haven't found the one who's looking for it yet...

·
Registered
335 Posts
nitesite,... that's a nice looking bugger, if I do say so...<:))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts