Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the gun show today and saw a 4" stainless S&W model 64. When I looked at the serial numberI noticed that it had the letters AJP before the serial number. I have never seen this before that I can recall and was wondering if it might have been a police weapon at one time.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I was at the gun show today and saw a 4" stainless S&W model 64. When I looked at the serial numberI noticed that it had the letters AJP before the serial number. I have never seen this before that I can recall and was wondering if it might have been a police weapon at one time.
Hey ikar - I see nobody has offered any comments so I'll throw out a few. I'm new to the S&W collecting world (and man is it a big place) but I do have the very good resource book by Supica & Nahas. It seems the Model 64 is "The .38 Military and Police Stainless" so yours being a police firearm would make a lot of sense. I didn't find any mention of AJP but other similar markings were common - PXPD (Phoenix PD), M.D.C. (Metro District of Columbia), CDC (?), etc. AJP could be another police department somewhere that ordered a run of department issue revolvers.

If you bought it you could have S&W letter it and tell you everything about it. Otherwise it may be a guess on what the AJP means. Of course, someone could come along here and educate both of us. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last...

Post your question over on the S&W forum and you would likely get a lot of good answers.

Wave

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
S&W serial

Hey ikar - I see nobody has offered any comments so I'll throw out a few. I'm new to the S&W collecting world (and man is it a big place) but I do have the very good resource book by Supica & Nahas. It seems the Model 64 is "The .38 Military and Police Stainless" so yours being a police firearm would make a lot of sense. I didn't find any mention of AJP but other similar markings were common - PXPD (Phoenix PD), M.D.C. (Metro District of Columbia), CDC (?), etc. AJP could be another police department somewhere that ordered a run of department issue revolvers.

If you bought it you could have S&W letter it and tell you everything about it. Otherwise it may be a guess on what the AJP means. Of course, someone could come along here and educate both of us. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last...

Post your question over on the S&W forum and you would likely get a lot of good answers.

Wave
I also looked and couldn't find reference to AJP. I agree, it's probably "something-something police".:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
If the AJP precedes a four digit number on the butt of the gun (and other places), that is part of the serial number indicating an approximate mfg date of 1985. S&W went to the three letter/four digit serial number in 1980 at ser# AAA 0000 and have been using them ever since. My S&W Mod 64 is ser#BHT 6XXX. I also have a 624 ser# ABH 5xxx and a 24-3 ser# ABZ 3xxx...etc.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
serial number

If the AJP precedes a four digit number on the butt of the gun (and other places), that is part of the serial number indicating an approximate mfg date of 1985. S&W went to the three letter/four digit serial number in 1980 at ser# AAA 0000 and have been using them ever since. My S&W Mod 64 is ser#BHT 6XXX. I also have a 624 ser# ABH 5xxx and a 24-3 ser# ABZ 3xxx...etc.
good info. for future reference :)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I sent a message off to Smith&Wesson but haven't heard back from them yet. It would be great to find a model 15 marked U.S.A.F. This is my favorite and something I used to carry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts