Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A comment was made in the .22LR GP100 thread that Ruger doesn't have an equivalent to the S & W L frame which got me to thinking. How do the LCR, SP101, GP100, RH, SRH align size-wise with the Smith & Wessons, J Frame, etc?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I would comment the Ruger SP101 compares to the S&W J frame but is built much more robust!! Not the smooth action or trigger the J frame has but my preference is the SP101 currently have 2 3 inch barreled SP101's now the GP100 to me still competes very closely to the S&W L framed guns that there should be a issue here to me either you like one or the other. I much prefer on this one the S&W L framed even though I own a S&W K frame .357 Model 66 no dash. I do also have a Ruger LCRX that I really like I compared it to a S&W Model 637 & 638 and by far the Ruger LCRX had the features I preferred. But its really up to the individual on what guns and the mfg. personal taste etc!!! Both Ruger & S&W to me make very nice DA/SA handguns!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Way back in the 1980s when the GP100 was introduced it was marketed as a competitor to the L frame 686. And back then your only choice in either gun was a 4" or 6" barrel and stainless or blue finish. Pretty simple. Through the years both companies have added the different variations. The GP is a little bulkier than the L due to being cast instead of forged. I consider my GP as comparable to my 686.

To me the SP splits the size difference between a J frame and K frame.

·
too great for words
661 Posts
I don't have a Smith L-frame but I've had a K frame and I have 2 N frames and the GP100 is between those two so I would say it's pretty close to an L-frame. My Sp101 is a bit heavier and a little bit bigger than the Taurus 605 it replaced which is supposed to be the same as a Smith J-frame.

I think I read somewhere that the old service/security six series was about the same as the Smith K-frames.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,413 Posts
khari, Ruger and S&W DA revolvers are comparable in size only .... not strength or weight. That said, a SP101 is sized closest to a S&W J-frame. A Security-Six is sized much like a S&W K-frame. A GP100 has a near identical profile to a S&W L-frame. The Redhawk and Super Redhawk are comparable to a S&W N-frame.

Spad124, Size and weight (bulkier?) have absolutely nothing to do with being cast or forged. In all Ruger DA revolvers, the cylinder frames are much thicker and stronger. The SP101, GP100, and Super Redhawk have a "grip stud" instead of a full sized grip frame like the Redhawk, Security-Six, or any S&W model. This allows metal to be redirected from the grip frame to the cylinder frame ... making the gun much stronger without making it heavier.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Are you sure they didn't say K-frame? The GP100 and L-frame are similar in size.
I thought for sure it said L-frame but I just went back and looked. It said K-Frame. Apologies for any confusion.

Thanks for breaking it down for me, Iowegan. I have a couple Super Redhawks and they're huge. I don't have much experience with S & W revolvers and assumed the SRH was similar in size to the X-frame.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think to stay competitive Ruger's offerings were never meant to copy S&W or Colt frame size. They are unique and over the years I have realize that their revolvers fall somewhere in between S&W sizes. Although you'll find that some can share the same holsters, for example my GP100 and mod. 686 can share holsters as well as my Security Six and mod.66.

This is from largest to smallest frame size:

S&W X frame
Ruger Classic Redhawk & Ruger Super Redhawk
S&W N frame
Ruger GP100
S&W L frame
Ruger Security/Speed Six
S&W K frame
Ruger SP101
S&W J frame / same as Ruger LCR

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think to stay competitive Ruger's offerings were never meant to copy S&W or Colt frame size. They are unique and over the years I have realize that their revolvers fall somewhere in between S&W sizes. Although you'll find that some can share the same holsters, for example my GP100 and mod. 686 can share holsters as well as my Security Six and mod.66.

This is from largest to smallest frame size:

S&W X frame
Ruger Classic Redhawk & Ruger Super Redhawk
S&W N frame
Ruger GP100
S&W L frame
Ruger Security/Speed Six
S&W K frame
Ruger SP101
S&W J frame / same as Ruger LCR
I am looking at this and thinking it is complicated by including the Security Six, which was actually replaced by the GP100 and is not a current model. The GP100 clearly is not as big as a Smith N-frame and is close to fitting in L-frame holsters. Lastly, the Smith X-frame stands alone as the largest hand cannon. The Redhawk is massive but not that heavy.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I am looking at this and thinking it is complicated by including the Security Six, which was actually replaced by the GP100 and is not a current model.
I own every single one of these revolvers except an X frame. That's how they rank up. Not sure how putting a Security Six on the roster complicates anything. It's still a very popular revolver on the used market and there are millions out there. In size they are slightly larger than a S&W K frame (mostly in the grip frame area and cylinder) but will often share the same leather holsters.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I own every single one of these revolvers except an X frame. That's how they rank up. Not sure how putting a Security Six on the roster complicates anything. It's still a very popular revolver on the used market and there are millions out there. In size they are slightly larger than a S&W K frame (mostly in the grip frame area and cylinder) but will often share the same leather holsters.
Clearly, the GP100 is smaller than an N-frame, but I think you do have them sequenced right within each brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts