Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit, I don't know much about SA revolvers, but I have a Single Six that I love shooting. Because of that, I'm thinking of picking up a big brother for it sometime in the future.

That being said, I have no idea where to start. One thing I do know, I love the looks of the 4 5/8" Barrels. And I'm pretty sure I'll get a blued one as my Single Six is stainless, I'll mix it up a bit. Besides that, don't know where to lean towards.

I like the idea of a 38/357 9mm convertible for affordability of ammo, and being able to pair it up with a .357 lever in the future.

But, I also like the idea of a .45LC/45ACP convertible because if/when I start reloading, I will probably start reloading .45ACP for my 1911 and I can get .45ACP from work to shoot through as well. And, well, it's a 45LC SA revolver...

As far as Blackhawk or Vaquero, and buying one brand new or looking for an older model used at a pawn or gun show, I have no clue.

So, if you were to buy a SA revolver, with those things in mind and only have a Single Six as your other SA revolver (because, from looking at most of the members here, you can't have just ONE SA revolver), what would you pick up and why?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Of course the real answer is to buy both :) .... But a .357/.38Spec will be a good stepping up point. Economically it will be better until you get a change to get some reloading equipment. That way you can enjoy shooting without a 'lot' of expense and ammo is readily available... You will still get a bit of 'kick' out of the peanut caliber before stepping up to the big bores. After you get your reloading equipment, then to get that .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. Your call :) . Oh, I'd go with a adjustable sight revolver.... That is how I see it anyway :) .

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Dubshooter, I was at the same crossroads recently and decided to go with a birdshead Vaquero 3 1/2" barrel in 45ACP and I can't get enough of it! It is a hoot to shoot. Like you I have a lot of .45ACP on hand for my 1911 so it wasn't introducing yet another caliber. .45LC can get a bit pricey too. And remember the old saying - reloading doesn't save you any money cause you just shoot more!

I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you decide. There's a lengthy thread about the birdshead Vaquero .45ACP you might enjoy reading. I bought a SS one because I wanted to polish it up but I would be just as happy with a blued version. I guess one reason this was my first SA purchase was just the look and feel of the birdshead grip. It is just sexy cool!

Good luck in your SA quest!

Wave

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dubshooter, I was at the same crossroads recently and decided to go with a birdshead Vaquero 3 1/2" barrel in 45ACP and I can't get enough of it! It is a hoot to shoot. Like you I have a lot of .45ACP on hand for my 1911 so it wasn't introducing yet another caliber. .45LC can get a bit pricey too. And remember the old saying - reloading doesn't save you any money cause you just shoot more!

I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you decide. There's a lengthy thread about the birdshead Vaquero .45ACP you might enjoy reading. I bought a SS one because I wanted to polish it up but I would be just as happy with a blued version. I guess one reason this was my first SA purchase was just the look and feel of the birdshead grip. It is just sexy cool!

Good luck in your SA quest!

Wave
Really, I ask for your opnion and you send me to the thread about the Birdshead Vaquero?!?!?!? :mad: Do you realize how angry you just made me?????

I promised my wife after getting my Colt I would stop talking about guns with her until November to give her a break. Then you show me THAT.... Well, let's just say I showed her the pictures and she just stares at me with that look, and says "what happened to waiting til November?" :rolleyes:

Those are some really good looking guns. How easily obtainable are they? Were they an exclusive, or are they pretty popular?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So you won't have to go to another thread....

The .45 ACPs are available (right now) but may not be so easy to get in the future. I also like my .44 Special Flattop, but the Birdsheads are my favorite.

Floyd

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I've been a long time shooter and fan of S/A revolvers. I've narrowed my S/A needs down to two guns, one is a New Model Single Six Convertible, blued, 9 1/2", 22LR / .22 Mag capacities and a New Model Blackhawk, blued, 7 1/2" in .45 Colt.

I have the Single Six for low cost plinking and target shooting, it also acts as my warm up gun for the larger calibers. The Blackhawk is a sweet shooter for a big caliber gun, I love the .45 Colt cartridge. It gets lots of looks at the range when it's fired, only drawback is it cost alot to feed it.

You mentioned the mid-size caliber convertible gun, 38Spl/.357 Mag, which is a great pick. You get the lower cost and easier recoil with the 38 Spl. but you still have the added power of the Magnum when you want it.

But if you're getting into reloading for your 1911 it may be better overall if you considered the larger convertible caliber gun, .45 ACP/.45 Colt. However since you already have the .45 ACP caliber in your 1911 going toward a mid-sized caliber gun would give a better variety. It's you're preference of course, but in this case I personally would probably lean toward the 38Spl/.357 Mag convertible. See I have a GP100, (38Spl./.357 Mag. capability), that fits in between my two S/A's mentioned above.

Hope this helps, at least I hope it didn't make things worst for ya :eek:

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to be a ways out before I make a purchase. I'm leaning for my next purchase to be a .22-1911 for training with my duty gear on a cheap caliber. But once that gun is bought, everything after that is going to be a "for fun" or "just because" reason of having it. I have an SP101 in .357 thats the wife's bedside gun, and I have a 5.5" Single Six accompanied with the Henry Lever .22.

My next project is going to be leather work, then hopefully pick up reloading. Depending on what comes first (reloading or my next SA) will probably determine which caliber I go with. 9mm is cheap, but I won't have a 9mm gun, so I won't reload it. I have a 357, but will probably be more inclined to reload .45's than 9mm and will be able to make loads for the 1911 (or, multiple, lets be realistic) than 9mm just for the convertible.

I'm just one of those guys who likes to plan, research, and know just about everything before dropping a few hundred dollars on a purchase.

Those birdshead Vaqueros look great, but realistically, I'll probably want a longer barrel. So, we will see. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was a chief of police who prohibited officers from carrying SA firearms on duty. There are many reasons I believe are accurate, but when I retired I purchases an NM Vaquaro. I love the Vaquaro and now have an OM Vaquaro that is even better. If you want a SA, I suggested the OM Vaquaro or, if you can't get one of these, a NM Vaquaro. They are so much better than the Colt or other SA's.
As always, the best gun you can have this the one you have when you need it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a .357 guy myself. But if you're setting up for loading .45, I can't see why you wouldn't go for that caliber. I picked up my 4 5/8" vaquero in .357, because that's what I shoot and what I'm going to reload. It's still cheaper to reload .45 than buy .357

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've always loved SA wheelguns especially in the 19th century rounds. Besides my 3 Ruger SA revolvers listed below, I also have a Uberti 1890 'Outlaw' in .44-40, and a CVA percussion copy of the Colt Walker. There is something about cranking the hammer back on a SA that blasts you right back to the 1880s!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
...Those are some really good looking guns. How easily obtainable are they? Were they an exclusive, or are they pretty popular?
They're not cataloged anywhere I can find but mine was manufactured this summer based on the fired shell envelope date. So they are out there - I found mine on GunBroker from a dealer in North Dakota. And he apparently has more, both blued and SS.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Of course the real answer is to buy both :) .... But a .357/.38Spec will be a good stepping up point. Economically it will be better until you get a change to get some reloading equipment. That way you can enjoy shooting without a 'lot' of expense and ammo is readily available... You will still get a bit of 'kick' out of the peanut caliber before stepping up to the big bores. After you get your reloading equipment, then to get that .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. Your call :) . Oh, I'd go with a adjustable sight revolver.... That is how I see it anyway :) .
Based on your OP, This is exactly how I see it too. A Blackhawk .357 / 9mm Convertible, 4 ⅝" barrel in blue or, if you can find one, stainless. Then, in time, when finances permit, add a Blackhawk .45 Colt / .45 acp 4 ⅝".

However, having said that, whichever caliber, and model you choose, you can't possibly make a mistake. Any single action revolver is pure, unadulterated, fun to shoot and a joy to own. :)

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I recently sold a Single-Six because I like the Bearcat a lot better. In a larger SA, I'd have to go with a NM Vaquero in .357. I think a SA should be traditional with fixed sights, so no Blackhawk. I will give in on stainless steel, though. I pick .357 as being a very versatile caliber.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the opnions on Uberti's? I have read they are more correct to the original design, which also leads to no transfer bar. This won't be a gun that I carry, just for shooting. The looks of the Uberti's are pretty interesting too.

Now i'm starting to see why some people have 10-20 SA revolvers....

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm really satisfied with my Uberti Outlaw .44-40. It is a beautifully made SA in the 'old style' with deep bluing, brass trigger guard, and the lacquered grips. The action is real smooth also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Find a gun shop(s) that has a good selection and fondle them all.
Different guns will feel better or worse in your hands.
The grip shape of a Ruger SA varies just a little from a Colt, depending on which Ruger SA you're holding. A Bisley, Remington or Schofield SA is a whole other animal.
If I weren't going for any historical authenticity, I'd stick with a Ruger.
They are built to last forever.
Jumping from a single six to a .357/38/9mm convertible is a very good step.
Ammo is cheaper than bigger bores and powerful enough to get you through most life and death situations if needed.
All my single actions are .45LC as I use them in Cowboy Action. When I started in CAS it felt like the authentic way to go without the loading specialties that shooting a 44/40 would incur. I don't have a full reloading rig.
I use a lee loader and tap them out. It's not efficient as far as time usage goes; but I can whip them up while watching the tube in the late evening.

I have a .38; but it is a speed six.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts