Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I saw something that made me sad. :(

As I was walking in to the Gunshop I observed a younger guy going in with a 4" Ruger GP100 that he was wanting to use as "Trading Material" on a S&W 686+. I talked with him a little and informed him about the problem of the I.L.S. on S&W Revolvers and how Ruger doesn't have that "problem".

I told him there is nothing wrong with an older S&W that doesn't have the "Hillary Hole" and how S&W came to start putting them on their Revolvers. I also told him my story of how my "Hillary Hole" Model 22-4 failed on me. I assured him that S&W was real good about fixing it, but I stressed that it wouldn't have happened if the gun didn't have the "Lock".

He took his gun in, but I don't think he liked what they offered him for it. He was looking at Rifles when I left. I hope he keeps his GP100. He was real young, maybe 22 y/o. He didn't know how the "Lock" came to be on the guns and just accepted that "Locks" are on guns. :(

On another note, it was great to see a young man that wants to shoot a Revolver. :D

The only "Lock" that needs to be on a gun is the one on the safe door.

Biker

·
Registered
235 Posts
Biker. You wouldnt believe how much crap i catch for owning revolvers. Im 26 and all my friends think if it isnt half polymer and doesnt hold 15 rounds its not worth having.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biker. You wouldnt believe how much crap i catch for owning revolvers. Im 26 and all my friends think if it isnt half polymer and doesnt hold 15 rounds its not worth having.

I believe it.

I was in a local eating establishment yesterday where the SWAT Team was eating. One of them noticed my Revolver and said, "You carry a Revolver?"

I just looked at him and said, "I hit what I aim at." I then walked in to the sunset. :D

Biker

·
Registered
235 Posts
i will never forget about two years ago i was at the shooting range when an older gentleman who had to be in his 70's came to the pistol range. We have to take into account that this gentleman was using a cane to get around but he pulled out what looked to be the old pencil barrel model ten smith. there were younger guys next to me with their glocks making fun of him to themselves which ticked me off but what can you do. He then proceded to put all 6 rounds into around 1" at 15 yards shooting 1 handed. it was amazing how fast the guys with the glocks shut up.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A gun is only as good as the one shooting it. Revolver shooters tend to shoot better knowing six rounds is all they have in the gun. Those that shoot "tacticool" guns tend to prescribe to the spray and pray mentality. I see it all the time at gun ranges.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Revolver shooters tend to shoot better knowing six rounds is all they have in the gun."

Maybe so, but what about those of us that carry more than one gun?

Right now I carry two guns off duty, even if I'm carrying my Glock. As soon as I get my "New To Me" SP101 back from my 'smith I will be carrying three guns off duty. The Primary will most often be a 3" GP100 with the SP101 on my weakside and the S&W 442 either in my pocket or on my ankle, depending on if I'm wearing shorts or not. :)

I just got off the phone with Milt Sparks yesterday, as I ordered a PMK for the SP101. The 3" GP100 already resides in a Summer Special II. As far as being a "good" shooter, I don't think I am, and I'm always trying to improve. It is nice however when a fellow LEO that works for an agency known for it's shooters says that you can shoot. :D

Biker

·
Registered
155 Posts
what about those of us that carry more than one gun?
A longtime firearms instructor for military, SWAT, etc., once said that his motto when it came to any device that might possibly fail at a crucial moment was "One is none; two is one." Sounds like you're operating on the same basis. I'm guessing that you probably also carry some other tools for tight spots -- chemical sprays, knives, striking devices and the like -- for use in situations where none of your three guns is the optimal tool for the task.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I carry three blades as a general rule, don't much care for the Pepper Spray. I used to put it on my toast to build up an immunity to it, and have seen more than one felon literally eat the stuff without the desired effect.

As far as impact tools, no. I'm out of room on my waist and if hand to hand doesn't do it then it's time to either "stick or shoot". I am fanatical about "Confrontational Avoidance" and will go to extremes when I'm not working to stay out of trouble.

As I get older I find I have less tolerance for the "Jujitsu Karate Kung Fu" stuff they used to teach us, but even if I don't practice it much anymore, it's still in the "toolbag" so to speak.

Evan Marshall, a big proponent of 3-Gun Carry has a saying, "A young man will fight you, an old man will just kill you." I find that to be a very fitting statement as I get older, not that I want to kill anyone.

Biker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts