Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have some riders here so I thought I would share this with my Ruger Forum friends.

The Saddle Sore 1000 is a 1000 mile motorcycle ride completed in 24 hours or less ( that’s 24 hrs clock time ) you can check it out at The Iron Butt associating website. Well after 2 weeks of uncooperative weekend weather yesterday looked like go time and after watching weather reports for a couple days the ride was on!! Weather was to be good and rain wasn’t forecast to move into the SW part of the state until late evening not late afternoon! The planned route was to take us from Minneapolis area to just south of Duluth then up to International Falls on the Canadian border then down and west to the North Dakota border then straight south about 350 miles to Luvurne MN. In the SW corner of the state and over to Albert Lea and back up to home should have been 1049 miles. Figured around 17 hrs drive time and stops extra. By the way this was to be a 2up ride and not leave the state. Anyways all was good started at 4AM and headed north, turned out to be colder than forecast as we hit 43 degrees north of the Cities but no prob we have gear just bundled up a bit and rode on awaiting the sun to warm things up Made a short stop in Cook MN. Where my son and Daughter in law met us with doughnuts and coffee (they have a lake place in the area) then on to International Falls. All was good until we turned south at Crookston MN. To start the 350 straight south journey where we hit an extremely strong Easterly wind that continued for the duration of the trip. Strong enough that it required one heck of a lean and wrecked havoc on the helmets, I tried my full face which kept gettin pound down onto my head giving me a fierce headache then tried my 1/2 shell which kept trying to lift of my head. Then we hit Tstorms moving in from the Dakotas the first couple were Ok one was small enough we sat and waited it out but more were building to the south so we took off hoping to get through ahead of them. But it wasn’t to be as the storms were growing and covering our last legs of the route.
We decided the combination of strong storms, what would be Interstate Hwy, and fatigue ( not to mention our goggles don’t have windshield wipers) were not a good combination so we then decided we would head east toward home and if we could stay ahead of it all we could get the extra 100 we would need in another direction, but as the storms developed we just wound up riding in the rain the whole way but did stay out of the strong stuff, and once near the homestead decided the rain and fatigue was not safe for the last 100 so we pulled in to home just 100 miles short of 1000!
But I will take a fail vs. going down on my bike somewhere in a ditch in the middle of the night!!
Very fun and a great experience and I love to cover and see country, we do it a lot in the car

So now to watch the weather again and get it done hopefully in the next couple weeks!! We will succeed

If I can get it posted here is a pic of a very rain dirty Bike in desperate need of a wash

·
Registered
408 Posts
I tried demo rides on several of the H-D's having that shape fairing (older versions) but never found one that was 'airflow friendly' with my helmet(s). Always happy to get back on the old Superglide Sport, no wind protection but also much less turbulence.

Bruce

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aftermarket windshield and the newer venting in the fairing help a lot, but your right buffeting is still there, in this case the wind was beating us from the side at 20mph and the west part of the state is wide open flat farm land so the wind has a good run when it hits you

·
Registered
91 Posts
The wife and I tried once. I didn't do a good job with the route and we finished 32 miles short. 968 miles, two up on a 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa in 23 hours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did my own 1K coming home from Florida after seeing my mother. I should have documented it, but it was unplanned. I was on a Super Tenere and solo. The weather was great the whole way and I left with plenty of sleep. I was at 900 miles when I was closing in on home and had a few hours left. I road past the house 50 miles and doubled back and had about an hour to spare. I was tired but could have done a little more. I have the same trip planned this fall to see mom again and plan on doing the documentation coming home this time.

I really don't do much or even like the long distance days but would sure like my IBA certificate, number, and license plate frame.

A friend of mine did the C to C to C last year......he is a he-man on a bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dad45, I've got a lot of respect for someone who takes on an Iron Butt challenge. I've got a friend who pulled in many of their certificates, on a Suzuki GT750 water buffalo.
On a whim he attended the two-stroke meet at Deals Gap in North Carolina by way of Los Angeles from the Florida panhandle.
My most memorable whim was waking up one Saturday and deciding to go to the post office. Said post office being the smallest U.S. post office in Ochopee Florida. The route was from Orlando to Ochopee (skirting lake Okechobee) and then up the West coast to Clearwater and back home to Orlando. Somewhat over six hundred miles on my '93 ZR1100 in 2006. I could have ridden further if I had a destination.
In any event, kudos to you. Post when you make your next attempt.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dad45, I've got a lot of respect for someone who takes on an Iron Butt challenge. I've got a friend who pulled in many of their certificates, on a Suzuki GT750 water buffalo.
On a whim he attended the two-stroke meet at Deals Gap in North Carolina by way of Los Angeles from the Florida panhandle.
My most memorable whim was waking up one Saturday and deciding to go to the post office. Said post office being the smallest U.S. post office in Ochopee Florida. The route was from Orlando to Ochopee (skirting lake Okechobee) and then up the West coast to Clearwater and back home to Orlando. Somewhat over six hundred miles on my '93 ZR1100 in 2006. I could have ridden further if I had a destination.
In any event, kudos to you. Post when you make your next attempt.
Thanks and I will post again, in fact we will hopefully do it in the next couple weeks! I love the post office trip! Right up my alley, people think some of the things I do and places I go are crazy and when they ask why? I always respond with “ I’ve gone farther for less”

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see your from ND so your no stranger to the wind ! My son went to aviation school at UND and had to deal with that wind constantly

·
Registered
574 Posts
In March of 2002 I certified my 1000 in 24. I rode from my home in east central Michigan to Yulie, Fla. in 17 hrs. and 10 minutes, a distance of 1173 miles. I make regular trips between Mi. and Fla. I have never certified a 1500 in 24, but have ridden from Ft Lauderdale to home in 24 hrs more than once. My most recent was from Cocoa, Fla. To home in 21.5 hrs, a distance of 1299 miles. I do these trips solo. No passengers and no other bikes. They have all been done on Harley Electraglides, (not the same one as I have owned over a dozen or so in the past 50+ years.) I do love the long distance rides and have done all of them in the months of Feb or March. I much prefer cool or cold weather over hot and sticky.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
425 Posts
No worries! I plan on a SS 1000 in the near future. Ride a 2006 Kawasaki Concours. Next time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts