Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I own a Springfield 1873 Trap Door, but haven't shot it in many years. It's time to take it to the range, but I have forgotten what I used for ammo in it.

Knowing that the original cartridges were using black powder, do I have to seek out black powder loads for this rifle? Or can I use any modern ammo in it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Original or repro? Caliber?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I recommend that you shoot reduced loads through it. There are a few companies that sell "Cowboy" and "Trapdoor" loads using 405gr lead bullets and smokeless powder.

I am assuming your trapdoor is chambered in .45-70 Gov't.

45-70 Ammo | 45-70 Govt. | 45-70 Ammo for Sale

Winchester Super-X Cowboy Action Ammo 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead

Black Hills Cowboy Action Ammo 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Flat

I've heard of people shooting factory Remington 405gr JSPs through original Trapdoors but remember that your rifle is well over 100 years old and may or may not stand up to even lower pressure jacketed bullet loads.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
It used to be that almost all .45-70 loads were "safe" for Trapdoor rifles, but you can't assume that any more. Remington still loads some .45-70 ammunition to safe levels for the Trapdoor; they're labeled as such.

Another good source of factory ammunition for the Trapdoor is the "Cowboy" loads; they're loaded to mild pressure levels and have lead bullets that are easier on the aging steel of the venerable Springfield rifles.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
I agree with the above unless your trapdoor is a modern reproduction. If that's the case any smokeless factory ammo should be fine.

Disregard my question about caliber. It's a Trapdoor. Of course it's a 45-70. That's kind of like me asking what caliber your M14 is. Duh....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trail Boss has listings for Trap Door Springfield's. Forget all the loads with "filler" it is just a good way to blow up a historical firearm. When ever in doubt about an older firearm use Trail Boss, it has to be almost impossible to blow up a gun.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Standard Remington 405 gr. loads should have a velocity of 1320 f.p.s. with comparable pressure to 70 grs. of BP with a 405 gr bullet!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is indeed an original in 45-70 Govt.

Based on your replies it looks like I'm safe with "Cowboy" loads and Remington may have something safe in their product list as well.

For what it's worth, I have no recollection of seeking out black powder loads for it when I last shot it, but , we're talking early to mid 80's.

Many thanks!

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts